Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pad sounds not sounding correctly when copied to a combi….
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:59 am    Post subject: Pad sounds not sounding correctly when copied to a combi…. Reply with quote

Hi, so I’m having a problem with trying to copy pad sounds from one program to another Combi to play in set list. I tired reading the manual and looking at YT videos but they don’t address this issue for some reason. I have an organ program where I have the sound and chords I want to use in a Combi with piano and another organ split in that combi. I tried to copy the organ sounds from the first program into the combi. The actual chords were copied into it but not the organ program sound. The pads thusly sound like the piano in the combi when they are triggered by the keyboard. I’ve tried to do some workarounds, but I am honestly stumped as to why it’s not working. I can’t find any details online really about that issue. Any help from the Kronos pros here?

Thanks
Xenophile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get a program to sound the same after putting into a combi, you need to use the drop-down menu in the top right corner of the screen, select Copy From Program. It is usually the IFX (Insert Effects) and MFX (Master Effects) that make the difference. Note that if you have copied multiple programs into a Combi, you will have some decisions to make about which effects to use.
AdamT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
To get a program to sound the same after putting into a combi, you need to use the drop-down menu in the top right corner of the screen, select Copy From Program. It is usually the IFX (Insert Effects) and MFX (Master Effects) that make the difference. Note that if you have copied multiple programs into a Combi, you will have some decisions to make about which effects to use.

Thank you for replying back, but that’s not working for me. Here’s what I want to do but can’t seem to get it working right. There’s an organ program sound I want as the pad sound for my combi. I have the pads with the chords in the organ program saved like I want them to be. In the combi I have three timbres. One is a cp-80 on timbre 1, the other is an organ on timbre 2 that is split with the cp-80 and the third is another organ blending with the second one on timbre 3 that is also split just to the upper register. I wanted organ pads from the program to sound in the c1-g1 register of the keyboard when I play those specific notes.

When I go to the pad tab in combi mode and hit the upper right hand drop down menu I go to “copy pad setup”. I find the organ program with the pads I want saved to it and select it: I then select “all” for the pads. I hit ok.
The pads then configure to the chord notes I had saved from the organ program, however they don’t sound like the organ program. They actually are the cp-80 that’s sounding on timbre 1 of the combi. That’s my issue. How do I get the organ sound from the pads from the organ program into the combi and not to make it sound like the cp-80 that’s on timbre 1?
I also tried the “copy from program” button but it completely overwrote my cp-80 and instead copied the organ program to timbre 1 of the combi.

Hope this helps more in me explaining it. I’m sorry if this is somewhere on those website but I can’t seem to find it or understand it so far.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. Different definition of the word “pad.” Plus, you already have a fairly complex Combi with several timbres, so copying all from one Program to the Combi will likely mess up the other timbres.

But it sounds like you almost have what you want. If the pads are already sounding the notes you want, but sending them to the wrong timbre in the Combi. Go to Combi Page 1 “EQ/Vector/Control” and select the Pads tab where you can edit the midi notes and/or control messages sent by each of the pads. You just need to change the midi channel for the pads to correspond to the timbre slot in the combi where you have the organ patch that you want the pads to play.

I only recently started using the pads since I got a Korg NanoPad2. They are really flexible. You can set them up to send several different midi note or control changes to different timbres on different midi channels.
AdamT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. Different definition of the word “pad.” Plus, you already have a fairly complex Combi with several timbres, so copying all from one Program to the Combi will likely mess up the other timbres.

But it sounds like you almost have what you want. If the pads are already sounding the notes you want, but sending them to the wrong timbre in the Combi. Go to Combi Page 1 “EQ/Vector/Control” and select the Pads tab where you can edit the midi notes and/or control messages sent by each of the pads. You just need to change the midi channel for the pads to correspond to the timbre slot in the combi where you have the organ patch that you want the pads to play.

I only recently started using the pads since I got a Korg NanoPad2. They are really flexible. You can set them up to send several different midi note or control changes to different timbres on different midi channels.

Ok, so do I need to have that organ program with the pads I want from it into the combi? I thought you could pull from any program with pads that’s not in the combi? If I add the organ program to let’s say timbre 4 in the combi then it will sound with the rest of my timbres when I Play something will it Not? Sorry if this is dumb: I recently just started playing with pads since I’m in a cover band and need it for a song. I know you can change timbres of where the pads sounds but I thought that was just what’s already in your combi. I thought you could copy any pad sounds from another program and insert them into another program and have two distinct separate sounds in the new program or combi. It might be because I have a complicated combi already but I would think the Kronos is more powerful than that.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could add that program as another timbre in the combi. I think you said that you already have two other organ programs in the combi already, but it doesn't cost you anything to add another, if that has the sound you want. (Don't forget what I mentioned in my first response, though... When you assign a program to a timbre in a combi, the IFX and MFX settings in the combi will likely be different from those in the program, so it might sound different unless you tweak the effects).

The timbres in a combi will play in response to the midi channel to which each is assigned. If you're just using Kronos by itself, you will assign the timbres you want to play on the keyboard to the Kronos Global Channel. If you assign them to a different channel, they will only sound when note messages are received on that channel (that's how you set up Kronos to play different timbres from an external midi controller). You can program the pads to send notes and controller messages to any channel... So you could have one pad playing notes on timbre #4 and another playing notes on another timbre.

I think you are a bit confused about the difference between Combi and Program modes. You should read about those modes in the manual, and there are lots of tutorial videos about using Combis. I think the most important thing to understand is that there are a limited number of effects that can be used. When you're playing a Program, all those effects are assigned to that program. When you're playing a Combi, the various effects are divided/shared among the various timbres. If you copy a single Program into a Combi, and copy all of its effects along with it, it will sound exactly the same as the Program. But when you start putting multiple Programs into the context of a Combi, you have to be aware of how each one is using effects. This has been a fact of life for as long as there have been multi-timbral synthesizers. They are powerful machines, but they don't have unlimited resources.
AdamT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
You could add that program as another timbre in the combi. I think you said that you already have two other organ programs in the combi already, but it doesn't cost you anything to add another, if that has the sound you want. (Don't forget what I mentioned in my first response, though... When you assign a program to a timbre in a combi, the IFX and MFX settings in the combi will likely be different from those in the program, so it might sound different unless you tweak the effects).

The timbres in a combi will play in response to the midi channel to which each is assigned. If you're just using Kronos by itself, you will assign the timbres you want to play on the keyboard to the Kronos Global Channel. If you assign them to a different channel, they will only sound when note messages are received on that channel (that's how you set up Kronos to play different timbres from an external midi controller). You can program the pads to send notes and controller messages to any channel... So you could have one pad playing notes on timbre #4 and another playing notes on another timbre.

I think you are a bit confused about the difference between Combi and Program modes. You should read about those modes in the manual, and there are lots of tutorial videos about using Combis. I think the most important thing to understand is that there are a limited number of effects that can be used. When you're playing a Program, all those effects are assigned to that program. When you're playing a Combi, the various effects are divided/shared among the various timbres. If you copy a single Program into a Combi, and copy all of its effects along with it, it will sound exactly the same as the Program. But when you start putting multiple Programs into the context of a Combi, you have to be aware of how each one is using effects. This has been a fact of life for as long as there have been multi-timbral synthesizers. They are powerful machines, but they don't have unlimited resources.

I mean I have read the manual about combi’s and pads and have watched YT videos on chord pads but they don’t seem to address the issue I have with this one particular combi. I’ll go back and check the MIDI channels and the track effects to see if maybe that’s was causing the problem. I could add the organ program to timbre 4 of the combi and use that sound as the pad sound I want in the bottom register of the keyboard I guess, but that organ sound is different than the two I already have on the keyboard and I’ll have to blend or turn it down low I guess so it doesn’t come out on the mix when I play except as the pad sound when I need to trigger it. Maybe that’s the only way to do it if the rest doesn’t work or I already have them where they need to be set.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add the sound you want as timbre 4, and assign it to some midi channel other than Global. Then that timbre will not sound when you play the keyboard.

Then set the pads to transmit on the midi channel you set for timbre 4. The pads will play that timbre, but the Kronos keyboard will not. The pads behave just like an external midi controller.

Did you say that you have the pads set up to be triggered by keys on your Kronos? In that case you need to make sure that your other timbre's key ranges are set to exclude those keys. You'll probably want to put them at the very high or low end of your keyboard.
AdamT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
Add the sound you want as timbre 4, and assign it to some midi channel other than Global. Then that timbre will not sound when you play the keyboard.

Then set the pads to transmit on the midi channel you set for timbre 4. The pads will play that timbre, but the Kronos keyboard will not. The pads behave just like an external midi controller.

Did you say that you have the pads set up to be triggered by keys on your Kronos? In that case you need to make sure that your other timbre's key ranges are set to exclude those keys. You'll probably want to put them at the very high or low end of your keyboard.

Thanks for all the help. I’ll try this method you have suggested. Yes I do have the pads setup to be triggered by the low keyboard ranges between c1-b1.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to look into adding a NanoPad to your rig. It automatically maps its first 8 pads to the Kronos pads. You have to set up the other 8 pads yourself with the software that comes with it. But it isn't too difficult to figure out.

I have been setting up all my combis with a couple of dedicated timbres to be triggered by the pads. I don't use chord triggers much myself. I mostly use the pads to trigger percussion and sound effects. I attach the Nanopad to the upper right of my Kronos2-61 panel with a bit of Velcro. It is a very handy location for me to reach up with either hand to tap the pads while I'm playing.

You can program to pads to do other things than just play notes or chords, since you can make them send almost any sort of midi message on any channel. So you could use them to start/stop the sequencer, change programs, mute/unmute layers etc.
AdamT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
You might want to look into adding a NanoPad to your rig. It automatically maps its first 8 pads to the Kronos pads. You have to set up the other 8 pads yourself with the software that comes with it. But it isn't too difficult to figure out.

I have been setting up all my combis with a couple of dedicated timbres to be triggered by the pads. I don't use chord triggers much myself. I mostly use the pads to trigger percussion and sound effects. I attach the Nanopad to the upper right of my Kronos2-61 panel with a bit of Velcro. It is a very handy location for me to reach up with either hand to tap the pads while I'm playing.

You can program to pads to do other things than just play notes or chords, since you can make them send almost any sort of midi message on any channel. So you could use them to start/stop the sequencer, change programs, mute/unmute layers etc.

I may look into getting one of those. They definitely sound handy to have as a part of your rig. Thanks for the suggestion!
AdamT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:

Ok, so here’s where I am now. Forgive me for being overbearing on this. I feel I’m close but still can’t get it to sound on the when triggered by notes.
Per your instructions earlier I set up the organ sound to timbre 4 in the combi. I changed the MIDI channel on it to 4 and the rest of the channels were “Gch” (Global Channel). You are right because timbre 4 didn’t sound then at all. I then went to the “pad” tab and changed the MIDI channel of the first 4 to channel (4) and that worked for them on the screen. The pads then sounded like the organ I wanted. Now comes the part I can’t get to work. I want to trigger them from notes on my keyboard. I had to go back and remap the notes to just (C1-F1). However now it won’t trigger on the keyboard at all now. Is there something in the Global settings I missed up to where they won’t trigger? I can go to the “MIDI” tab in Globsl and at the top where it has “MIDI channel” which is default at (1). I can change it to (4) which is what the pads are on and it works then from the keyboard but it also sounds the cp-80 timbre along with it and I have no idea why..
Any help or suggestion with this?
AdamT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:

Well, I guess I’ll just have to stick to the on screen pads for that organ patch since I can’t get the keys to trigger them right.
I’m not sure what the issue is but appreciate the help
Xenophile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never tried mapping the Kronos pads to be triggered by the keyboard. I see from the manual that there is a Global setting for doing this, but the disadvantage is that it is a Global setting, and the keys you assign there will always trigger those pads in every program and combi. Cut-and-paste from the manual:

Playing the pads from MIDI or the keyboard
Pads can be triggered by incoming MIDI notes or CCs, or
from the local keyboard. To do so:
1. Go to the Global P2: Controllers page.
2. Under MIDI CC# Assign —Vector Joystick / Pads, set
Pads 1-8 to the desired MIDI notes.

You can also use MIDI CCs, if you prefer. With CCs, the
value of the CC is used as the pad’s “velocity.” (For an
alternative method, see “Playing the pads from external
MIDI CCs,” below.)

It’s as simple as that; the pads will now respond to the
specified notes or CCs on the Global channel.
Be aware, however, that this will completely dedicate these
notes to triggering the pads; they will no longer trigger
sounds normally. For this reason, you may wish to assign
notes either below or above the standard keyboard range (for
instance, C-1 through G-1).

All of this also applies to notes played on the Global
Channel from the local keyboard, with the same restriction:
the assigned notes become dedicated to playing the pads.
For more information, see “2–1c: MIDI CC# Assign —
Vector Joystick / Pads” on page 793 of the Parameter Guide.

Playing the pads from external MIDI CCs
The method above applies to both the local keyboard and
MIDI input on the Global Channel. As an alternative, you
can use the Global Function Assign page to play the pads
from MIDI or USB MIDI input only, without affecting the
local keyboard. This alternative method also allows you to
control the pads from any MIDI Channel—not just the
Global channel.

For more information, see “2–3: Function Assign” on
page 795 of the Parameter Guide.

You really should get a Nanopad2 if you like to use pad triggers. I see they are just $40 on Amazon.
AdamT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
I have never tried mapping the Kronos pads to be triggered by the keyboard. I see from the manual that there is a Global setting for doing this, but the disadvantage is that it is a Global setting, and the keys you assign there will always trigger those pads in every program and combi. Cut-and-paste from the manual:

Playing the pads from MIDI or the keyboard
Pads can be triggered by incoming MIDI notes or CCs, or
from the local keyboard. To do so:
1. Go to the Global P2: Controllers page.
2. Under MIDI CC# Assign —Vector Joystick / Pads, set
Pads 1-8 to the desired MIDI notes.

You can also use MIDI CCs, if you prefer. With CCs, the
value of the CC is used as the pad’s “velocity.” (For an
alternative method, see “Playing the pads from external
MIDI CCs,” below.)

It’s as simple as that; the pads will now respond to the
specified notes or CCs on the Global channel.
Be aware, however, that this will completely dedicate these
notes to triggering the pads; they will no longer trigger
sounds normally. For this reason, you may wish to assign
notes either below or above the standard keyboard range (for
instance, C-1 through G-1).

All of this also applies to notes played on the Global
Channel from the local keyboard, with the same restriction:
the assigned notes become dedicated to playing the pads.
For more information, see “2–1c: MIDI CC# Assign —
Vector Joystick / Pads” on page 793 of the Parameter Guide.

Playing the pads from external MIDI CCs
The method above applies to both the local keyboard and
MIDI input on the Global Channel. As an alternative, you
can use the Global Function Assign page to play the pads
from MIDI or USB MIDI input only, without affecting the
local keyboard. This alternative method also allows you to
control the pads from any MIDI Channel—not just the
Global channel.

For more information, see “2–3: Function Assign” on
page 795 of the Parameter Guide.

You really should get a Nanopad2 if you like to use pad triggers. I see they are just $40 on Amazon.

All of this is just for one song we are covering in a band lol. I thought I followed most of the steps to set it up. I’ve done it before with other less complicated programs but not in a combi such as this I have. May have to break down and get the pad though if it helps more than what I have right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: