Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Live Speakers for PA4X
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mabcomp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Best Live Speakers for PA4X Reply with quote

Hey as you all know I'm sure, the hardest thing to achieve is a good live piano sound. Usually all the other sounds are fine but the pianos are a problem. They will sound better in stereo of course but has anybody got any recommendations.? Some have suggested JBL EON and Yamaha HS7.

I often hear fantastic sounding pianos on the arrangers and workstations when listening to live media and I think wow how the heck is he getting such a good sound on the Piano.
ozdaniel(AD)
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Best Live Speakers for PA4X Reply with quote

mabcomp wrote:
Hey as you all know I'm sure, the hardest thing to achieve is a good live piano sound. Usually all the other sounds are fine but the pianos are a problem. They will sound better in stereo of course but has anybody got any recommendations.? Some have suggested JBL EON and Yamaha HS7.

I often hear fantastic sounding pianos on the arrangers and workstations when listening to live media and I think wow how the heck is he getting such a good sound on the Piano.

For Studio http://www.adam-audio.com/
For Live Play FBT ProMaxX series
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can demo a pair of Yamaha DSR 112 or DSR 115 for live work you won't be disappointed, but keeping in mind a good sound is all relative according to speaker placement and EQ
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Best Live Speakers for PA4X Reply with quote

mabcomp wrote:

Yamaha HS7 are near field studio monitors, they give an awesome sound in the home studio but are unfit for gigs, not even small once..

They are meant to give the player the perfect sound, not the audience..

From those both options i would certainly choose the JBL EON´s as they are a portable PA system meant to fill a room with sound..
Chuck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get ready to get your wallet out but you will not regret it once you hear the Bose L1 Model II speakers. I have been using them for 5 years now without any regret. Good luck...Chuck, USA
Old fingers
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Live Speakers for PA4X Reply with quote

mabcomp wrote:

Hi Mabcomp,
I used Jbl Eon 10's professionally for years and they were reliable, light and were loud enough to fill most small/medium sized venues. However, having done some extensive research and listening tests, I recently changed to a pair of QSC K10s and find them to be amazing.

I went for the K10s rather than the K12s because they have a wider spread (useful for smaller venues or for small gigs where I might potentially play in mono) and have more punch than the K8s. They are light to carry, loud (1000W each with pretty high SPL), they look great, have good connectivity options on the back, have a great bass response (even without switching on the bass boost function), have great clarity/top end (excellent for piano sounds) and come with a 6 yr warranty (if you register them with QSC in the 1st 30 days). Overall, they blow any JBL Eon speaker that I've heard out of the water but they are about twice as expensive but you can, if you shop around, get them with a full warranty for a couple of hundred dollars less than the MAP. p.s. If you do go for them, definitely get the matching totes too. Best, Jon
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:
Quote:
... you will not regret it once you hear the Bose L1 Model II speakers. I have been using them for 5 years now without any regret. Good luck...
Hi Chuck, I am willing to buy next year the Bose L1 Model II and I was wondering if it can be enough power full for indoor gigs with 100 persons with dance floor. I would appreciate hearing your experiences in live situation. By the way I use Pa900 for gigging.
Thanks
paul
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BR wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Quote:
... you will not regret it once you hear the Bose L1 Model II speakers. I have been using them for 5 years now without any regret. Good luck...
Hi Chuck, I am willing to buy next year the Bose L1 Model II and I was wondering if it can be enough power full for indoor gigs with 100 persons with dance floor. I would appreciate hearing your experiences
in live situation. By the way I use Pa900 for gigging.
Thanks

I agree with Chuck. I have been using it for 6 years and g
Has never given me any problems.

Paul
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Br:

I'm a Bose user since last years, and i'm asure you it's a good product, lightweight, and with an excellent frequency response, but too expensive if you want to get power and supernatural sounding.-

In my case i bought 2 unit (1 per side, and double sub per side).- If you are planing to use it live situations, in small indoor places works fine (up to 100 pers), but for outdoors it haves high dispertion and less power on bass sounds.-

If someday no need to play outdoor, Bose L1 II, is not the right choice.-

Jonyblues give's you the best option for indoor and outdoor: QSC active speakers (2 12 inch units + high quality sub, 1000 wts. power), costs the same as a single Bose unit (1 tower + sub).-

I suggest you to your dealer and test both, then you could do a reasonable invest.-

With regards.
Eduardo
Chuck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has an opinion on which is the best way to go for PA systems. I've tried them all believe me. I was hesitant at first to try to Bose system. They let me try them for two weeks and I was sold. But I chose to go with a set on each side with 4 sub woofers. Bose has changed the sub woofers since I purchased. I plan to go to their new B2 sub when I get some extra cash. Again, best of luck on your choice.
Old fingers
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul, Eduardo_Arg and Chuck for your opinion about the PA system.
[quote]Eduardo_Arg wrote:
Quote:
in small indoor places works fine (up to 100 pers), but for outdoors it haves high dispertion and less power on bass sounds.-

Quote:
If someday no need to play outdoor, Bose L1 II, is not the right choice.

I am a little confused if the Bose L1 MII is the right choice for outdoor or indoor gigs. Could you please clarify?
Quote:
Eduardo_Arg wrote:
Jonyblues give's you the best option for indoor and outdoor: QSC active speakers (2 12 inch units + high quality sub, 1000 wts. power), costs the same as a single Bose unit (1 tower + sub).-

I use already 2 JBL EON 615 (1000 W each), they are ok but the only reason I want to switch to Bose is for the weight, practical portability and 180 degree dispersion (no need for extra monitor) in indoor gigs, fast set-up and eliminating the speakers stands and all wiring because of limited space in some houses and back problem. The only doubt I have is if the Bose L1 Model II can give me enough power for dance flooring.
FYI, when I use my 2 JBL EON 615 I have the power at the half on the speakers and at 3 o'clock on the Master Volume on the Mixer for most of the gigs.
Thanks
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents......

The Bose L1 MII is a very bad idea given that it's a mono system. It's like playing with one finger stuffed in your ear. You lose width, depth and clarity to your sound. The only time the Bose L1 MII makes any sense is if you have two systems and you forget about the TomeMatch desk and use a traditional desk. When you do that, the sound is quite impressive.

It's still not the perfect system though even if you have two, simply from the point of view that there's too many “bits” to carry and stick together to set it all up. It's also quite overpriced, and so are the accessories like the bags and covers to carry it all.

You would be better off buying anything but the Bose L1 MII to be honest. There are countless other systems to choose from that offer far better sound, more volume, better value and less hassle.

The Bose L1 MII were popular here where I live when they were released, but since then everyone has pretty much given up on them for large venues and gone with a pair of Mackie DLM 12 and one or two DLM 12S Bins.

Regards
Sharp.
AudioProCT

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Speakers Reply with quote

There are a few questions to answer to come even close to giving a recommendation.

Where would you be playing?

what size of the room?

How many People?

What type of event, wedding, restaurant, nursing home?

Budget?

What kind of weight or vehicle will you be transporting in?

Then from here, I could give you a few suggestions

I carry and have used allot of different systems, I will do my best to suggest
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Br:

I'll try to clarify what i said.-
As Sharp said, if you go for Bose L1 II, to keep the best sounding on stage you'll need at leas 2 units ( to preserve stereo efects ).- So, if you choose these system you must invest twice the cost of a QSC (2 units + sub).-

Bose pa speaker are good enough for indoor and small places up to 100/150.-

The most crucial aspect in stage sounding are bass sounds.-

Bose L1 II, really sounds good, on high, medium, and frecuencys, but when you push it up, bass frequencys are ineficient.-

Bose L1 II and similar models form others manufacturers, are less wheight and easily transportable, but also less efficient when you really need power.-

As i mention on my last reply, i own 2 bose L1 II units, but only for use it in my studio or at least in very small places.- For live situations in my band uses a proffesional PA with a very flexible configuration (8 mid/high units 8'' and 4 subs 18'').-

Another factor you must take in count is which instrument will be played simultaneously with your keyboard (bass, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, percussions, voices, etc.).- Bose L1 II it's apropiate for soloist or at least two musicians and voices.- But if you have a band, Bose can't manage a good service to your music.-

As i said before, go your delear and test different units, then you could make your choice.-

With regards. Eduardo
Chuck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this subject has really taken off and with a lot of interesting input. So this is my final.
I admit that when I was looking for a new system I wanted something that wasn't so big and cumbersome to haul around and set up so the Bose system took care of that concern. I don't care about the bits and pieces. In the end I can still be set up in less than 30 minutes and I am not tired and sweating from doing so.
As for the sound, especially the bass. Two B1's on each side really works well for me. But lets be clear. I play the Korg Keyboard Arranger, so the sound is a complete band similar to what a DJ would sound like minus the edited sounds. No it is not stereo, but dual mono. To be honest I know very few players who use stereo while performing especially bars and clubs.
Yes, the Bose units are pricey, but I've noticed lately that some of the newer products are pricey also.
If you are still concerned about getting more bottom and you choose the Bose system, try one of the new B2 subs. I did and was really impressed with the 3 different levels you can use to adjust the base.
In the end ALL of us that have responded have their opinion and are very knowledgeable. SO it will be difficult for you to decide. Good luck.
Old fingers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: