Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Minilogue 4 voice poly analog ....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dactyl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djcactus wrote:
I have a question for someone that owns one. If the sequencer is on and I switch patches does it snap or wait for the sequence like an electribe? Just thinking about how well it would sync up with my 'tribe (esx-sd), or with ableton for that matter.

If the sequencer is playing and you switch patches, it immediately switches to the new patch and begins playing the saved sequence associated with it. I'm not certain if this is behavior which can be changed. I read the whole manual yesterday, but I can't remember every menu setting off the top of my head.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
> own a Monologue.

OK Busch, is it great????

How did you get yours so fast? I want one!!!!!!!

They were available for pre-order from Sweetwater a day or so before the official announcement. Local stores had them in stock on Friday as well. THAT'S how you should do a product launch.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dactyl wrote:
djcactus wrote:
I have a question for someone that owns one. If the sequencer is on and I switch patches does it snap or wait for the sequence like an electribe? Just thinking about how well it would sync up with my 'tribe (esx-sd), or with ableton for that matter.

If the sequencer is playing and you switch patches, it immediately switches to the new patch and begins playing the saved sequence associated with it. I'm not certain if this is behavior which can be changed. I read the whole manual yesterday, but I can't remember every menu setting off the top of my head.

That's correct. However, if you have it synced to MIDI, the sequencer will start/stop in sync with the DAW transport. Haven't tried it with the sync-in, but I assume it's the same.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
djcactus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
dactyl wrote:
djcactus wrote:

That's correct. However, if you have it synced to MIDI, the sequencer will start/stop in sync with the DAW transport. Haven't tried it with the sync-in, but I assume it's the same.

Busch.

Oh no, that's such a damn shame. If it latched the programs together like the electribe this would be my dream.

I read the whole manual yesterday hoping it was just something they omitted. Fingers crossed the feature can be implemented with an update, it isn't asking to change much.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
KK gets some aliasing in the filter, esp with high resonance up.

And yes I've watched that Snarky Puppy video. I can get that patch in Diva just fine (and it sounds better, warmer and more "3D"), so I don't need KK with its lack of aftertouch onboard. Smile

Remember - as long as the synth is digital, you can ALWAYS do something to push it into aliasing territory (can happen with plugins, too, unless they are oversampling like crazy, but that has its own caveats). This just doesn't happen on an analog synth. That was what I was referring to, in general, with my comment above.

It depends on the sampling / clocking frequency - you can have plenty of Aliasing above the audible frequency limit. I have to say - I've never encountered aliasing on the AL-1 engine in OASYS, and I was under the impression the KK was similarly spec'd. By comparison - the JP80 has aliasing (or some similar effect) on PWM from about C4 up that's almost a loud as the oscillator itself and it is problematic (thought the rest of the JP80 synth engine is excellent).

On my old CASIO 1000P a sizeable fraction of the really interesting sounds I use are from its aliasing artefacts.

Overall, all instruments have their issues. That's not what defines whether it's a good instrument or not - and as Snarky Puppy show, good music and good playing trump technical issues. The King Korg is a fine instrument, and in my opinion, a fine performance instrument in ways Minilogue can never be because of its 3 octave minikey keyboard.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely not a problem to push AL-1 into aliasing using sync and ringmod. Ditto KK.

But yeah PWM on Rolands is just ridiculous.

And it's not mini keys, they're not mini as in 50% smaller, like here:

Those would not really be good for performance. The 86% smaller ones that Korg is using ("slim" keys) are quite playable, as far as I'm concerned (tried them on the MS-20 Mini, didn't object to them, so...)
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djcactus wrote:
burningbusch wrote:
dactyl wrote:
djcactus wrote:

Busch.

Oh no, that's such a damn shame. If it latched the programs together like the electribe this would be my dream.

I read the whole manual yesterday hoping it was just something they omitted. Fingers crossed the feature can be implemented with an update, it isn't asking to change much.

Not sure if I understand your issue. Again, I am only doing this MIDI sync to Ableton Live. If I have the Minilogue synced to MIDI clock, it will start/stop based on the Live transport (as you would expect). If you switch patches it will immediately switch to the next patch and pickup where it left off in the beat.

Busch.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good comparison against minikeys

Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the keys on the minilogue the same size as on the Odyssey?
djcactus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
djcactus wrote:
burningbusch wrote:
dactyl wrote:
djcactus wrote:

Busch.

Not sure if I understand your issue. Again, I am only doing this MIDI sync to Ableton Live. If I have the Minilogue synced to MIDI clock, it will start/stop based on the Live transport (as you would expect). If you switch patches it will immediately switch to the next patch and pickup where it left off in the beat.

Busch.

It's not an enormous issue. For instance if I change programs on my electribe it will change the patch when the pattern is over. Allowing me sacrifice a few programs for a longer sequence/track sketch. Like I said, not a big deal, but it would be a nice option in the global settings.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed the Arp Oddy is down to 799$ could that be because of the Minilogue release?
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the oscilloscope will work with audio in, in case we bring in another sine or something. Not an actual cd.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does, IIRC.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, VCO are like my Minitaur if I am understanding correctly, which means there will be some warm up time for best results? Does this also mean there will be some oscillator instability and tuning needed on occasion? I see there is a tuning mode the Minilogue goes into on its own so perhaps this takes care of those things.

All wondering aside this seems like a very good deal for an analog poly synth, one can dream, that, should it be a huge success, which will likely be the case, a more featured unit will pop its head up eventually. Thanks Korg!
sohatyi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
Now, VCO are like my Minitaur if I am understanding correctly, which means there will be some warm up time for best results? Does this also mean there will be some oscillator instability and tuning needed on occasion? I see there is a tuning mode the Minilogue goes into on its own so perhaps this takes care of those things.

All wondering aside this seems like a very good deal for an analog poly synth, one can dream, that, should it be a huge success, which will likely be the case, a more featured unit will pop its head up eventually. Thanks Korg!

I saw a detailed review. The unit tunes on startup and one of the shift + function buttons performs an on the fly tuning. It doesn't take more than about three or four seconds.
Novation: UltraNova, Nova
Yamaha: RM1X, CS2X, DX11, DX Reface, YC Reface
Other: Zoom R24, Quasimidi 309, Beat Thang, Akai MPC1000 and a couple of Omnichords
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: