Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos won't boot (SOLVED)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knave101

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Second Pin broken Reply with quote

Very Interesting follow up. The repair I made solved much of the problem, and the Korg was running again. However, the piano still crashed today after my keyboardist was pounding on the keys during a song.

So, I looked closely at the photo I submitted above and I noticed that pin 4 seems not to be in line with the other 3.....

sure enough. I opened the keyboard and indeed pin 4 was broken just like pin 5. So I am sure this must be a very common problem in these early Korg Kronos.

I soldering in a wire in place for this and testing will commence tomorrow. So if your keyboard has the sound of a loose screw rolling around....it comes from the motherboard...and this stresses this wire connector.
Knave101

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally solved the mystery of EXACTLY why this Standoff board pinout broke. First, the KLM-3008 is located directly beneath the metal keyboard. Therefore, when both screws on the Motherboard fell out, the board flexed downward. This is made worse with transport and during actual playing when pounding on the keys...flexing the entire keyboard. The mother board was caught during it's downward flex when the connector on KLM-3008 hit the actual metal portion of the keyboard. It only catches by a couple millimeter....but it's enough. This eventually caused the pin connector to flex repeatedly and enough to fatigue and crack two of the pins.

Note that my Kronos is an early model....serial number below 3500 and has the Intel D510 motherboard. This may not be a problem in newer models.

The motherboard screw in the photo, is critical, and in my case...was gone.

[img

Thus, the critical part of the failure is the loss of the two MB screws on the same side of the board, allowing the 3008 board to contact the keyboard at the pin connector....eventually breaking some of the pins.

You think Korg would make this part easy to purchase, but no. I sent the MB type, the serial number to the Korg parts store, and they recommended a different part...nice.

[/img]
matro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knave101 wrote:

You think Korg would make this part easy to purchase, but no. I sent the MB type, the serial number to the Korg parts store, and they recommended a different part...nice.
[/img]

It seems like they decided not to continue supporting the D510mo-based models. All spare parts are for D525mw, that actually started being mounted even before Kronos X got released.
Mine have lower serial number than yours. I plan to replace the D510. But you need 3 Korg parts besides the motherboard:
- New version of KLM-3008
- New cables from the powersupply
- Some new chassi-part
Knave101

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played again last night and the Kronos crapped out.....for a different reason.

Was noticing that when the keyboardist pounced hard on the keys and the kick drum was vibrating the floor the Kronos would crash. You could see a subtle shimmer of white across the screen when you hit the Kronos on the left most aspect (above the MB). It eventually crashed, and would not come up.

The boot would proceed until the RED line hit the "S" in Kronos, then throw a message to restart. A quick surgery on the stage yielded the RAM end's coming back. Pushed the RAM in and clicked the endpieces….and we were back up and running without any issues for the entire show.

It seems to never end. I guess desktop computers with a keyboard attached were never meant for the perils of transport and dynamic stage conditions.

But it did have a good ending eventually. The Kronos is back up and running now.
Knave101

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matro wrote:
Knave101 wrote:

[/img]

It seems like they decided not to continue supporting the D510mo-based models. All spare parts are for D525mw, that actually started being mounted even before Kronos X got released.
Mine have lower serial number than yours. I plan to replace the D510. But you need 3 Korg parts besides the motherboard:
- Some new chassi-part

Let me know how this goes. My question regarding changing a MB is the BIOS, and is it as simple as changing the board and associated parts? Because it would be nice if there was an "Upgrade Kit" available, with all the parts, and downloads to get the units upgraded.
matro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knave101 wrote:
matro wrote:
Knave101 wrote:

[/img]

- Some new chassi-part

Let me know how this goes. My question regarding changing a MB is the BIOS, and is it as simple as changing the board and associated parts? Because it would be nice if there was an "Upgrade Kit" available, with all the parts, and downloads to get the units upgraded.

You are not suppose to do that yourself. There is a Kronos (X) service manual floating around somewhere on the internet.
There are also some threads here on the topic on changing MB:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=93830&start=15
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=605525&sid=2bcbae1af0e0ad5ad58e5c36d4da9fb6
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after reading this great post, my question is, should I get inside my three year old K2 (that works great) and check for possible loose screws on the MB? I like the idea that ‘if it works, don’t fix it’. What would you do?
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my first K61 in 2013. It had a loose MB screw. I carried it to church every week and a screw came loose a second time. So I was opening it every year, tightening screws and cleaning it out. Last year I bought a second K61 (K2). It had a loose screw right out of the box. Now both boards never move so I no longer worry about them.

If I ever open one again I will likely add some thread lock to the MB screws.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
I bought my first K61 in 2013. It had a loose MB screw. I carried it to church every week and a screw came loose a second time. So I was opening it every year, tightening screws and cleaning it out. Last year I bought a second K61 (K2). It had a loose screw right out of the box. Now both boards never move so I no longer worry about them.

If I ever open one again I will likely add some thread lock to the MB screws.

Geo

Thanks for your advice Sir.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon2e wrote:
Well, after reading this great post, my question is, should I get inside my three year old K2 (that works great) and check for possible loose screws on the MB? I like the idea that ‘if it works, don’t fix it’. What would you do?

just my opinion. If you gig your K, it would be preventative maintenance to open your K to review the screws , if they are loose.

You are well past any warranty, so thats a non issue.

If you are a studio musician, the task to take a look inside is not as immediate.

FWIW, I opened my 7 yr old K, 4 months a go and all was tight. But my K is stationary on a stand all the time
Knave101

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Desktop computer with keyboard Reply with quote

Well, What is obvious now is the that the Original Kronos 88 was nothing but a desktop computer with a keyboard in place of a keypad. With a motherboard held upside down...it was bound to fail. the screws holding the motherboard in place are exactly the small type that come with a standard motherboard. Certainly, not meant to hold.

So to answer the questions...if you gig, and you carry your board around, open up the back and look at the MB screws. If you are worried, then remove the remaining screws that hold the keyboard in place, remove the two small connectors that connect the keyboard...and remove the keys. Then remove the MB supports....and you have access to the MB screws.

It didn't seem easy at first, but I can get a keyboard off a Kronos in under 5 minutes, with a electric screwdriver.

Then, strongly consider using lock tight to put the screws in and keep them in.

Check the RAM. make sure the ends click.

and that's it.
rickster1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last couple weeks my 8 1/2 yr old Kronos (1st gen) has been shutting off unexpectedly after 20 or 30 minutes. Today I turned it on to upgrade to 3.1.3 OS and it won't even make it through the boot-up. Just blinks off.

I'm not getting a warning message because the power is not staying ON.

I'm currently using OS 2.1.2.

I usually have it plugged in to a UPS, but thinking the problem might be the UPS, I plugged the K directly into the wall.
Never a problem with the local power, tho.

Is there a part / component that would wear out causing this result?
Doesn't sound like the MB - screws problem described above, but I posted this here because my K is in the same demographic (old)...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: