Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time to change the battery... where is the battery?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
part12studios

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Time to change the battery... where is the battery?! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I got my Triton Classic (61 key, not LE) around 2001.. so it's been roughly 15 years and while I think it's running fine, I would like to be proactive about fixing the battery before it becomes a problem.

I went ahead and opened up the sucker to see if it was visible. Unfortunately it seems that Korg engineers didn't do users any favors. I can't see any sign of a 2032 or other battery type i'm familiar with (dreaded barrel battery for example).

I can't find a service manual and the regular manual makes no reference to the battery. Anyone here know where I should look for this?

God I hope it's at least a user replaceable 2032 like newer Tritons have (with the convenient bay-access)
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been a lot of chatter here, and other places about the Triton Battery topic. I have owned two Triton Workstations and trust me, NO BATTERY is in there. I can only comment on the 'classic' unit, I think some models do have a battery, but not most. Here is a link on how to disassemble the classic. Lots of good photos...NO battery! http://www.bustedgear.com/repair_Korg_triton-pro_disassembly.html
part12studios

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Falcon2e, Thanks for responding!

I never could find anything specific about it. This forum had no mention of "Battery" in the korg triton.

To be clear mine was one of the original ones received in 2001 new. It is not a re-release or LE. The scsi option (now filled) and moss slot (still empty till i find a reasonable priced one)

So I take it that the patches are saved to some kind of flash memory then? what is saving all of the sequencer information for songs? I don't remember if CF Flash memory was really much of a thing at that point.

Is it that songs / sequences were saved to floppy/scsi storage? I never really used the sequencer ever so I've rarely even been in that view. Maybe they were expected to be saved to floppy / scsi? but i know that patches themselves were editable (right?) and those are not saved to floppy/scsi.

This is good news though. going to tighten up the screws and put this baby back.. what i didn't want to see is this somewhere out of sight like this:

My original Polysix (my first synth) had one of these batteries leak and in my ignorance of synth maintenance didn't know till it was too late and dissolved the logic board... So I've had a Korg product fail me before.

I just fixed this (my peavey dpm sp plus sampler) last night.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're on the right track. There were lots and lots of comments about the battery, some people still have they're own opinion on who is right. I still have one Triton (1999), and it's still alive and well. Yes, I think it must be using flash memory, or something like that. If the Triton had a clock, and calendar that was functional, I'd expect to find a battery, but as you know that's not the case.

As for keeping Samples & Songs, yes you must save those BEFORE you power off, or they're lost. Use the floppy if it works and you don't have a bunch of data. I have a SCSI set up with an external drive that is very fast and stores more data. Good luck Cool
part12studios

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome thanks for confirming that. i know some units back then had internal midi note memory limits.. but yea seeing it has a floppy / scsi option..

speaking of scsi i just got the option installed. a guy was selling his triton locally on CL and I talked him into selling me just the scsi option..

I'd get a moss board if i could find it for $100.. $400 on ebay is absurd.. you could get a used Z1 for a little more.

I'm looking forward to taking full advantage of the fat partition support to move wavs from mac/pc over to triton.. with my scsi and usb zip drives.
ErnstDabest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon2e is right ! There is no internal battery in the TC.
In [utility] disk mode there is an option to set the date & time, perhaps many who sees it
might think that there is a battery that keeps the date..

I know i did. Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i have seen that time/date option also.. but i believe maybe what it is implying is that for people who format the disk.. a date is often possible and in this case they might offer the time/date option so when you go to format the disk it has an accurate date.. nothing more.
buttonjaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Damper polarity settings -IS THERE A BATTERY?! Reply with quote

So I was curious if you TC owners ran into the pedal polarity settings not being remembered when you power off your Triton. Mine does NOT remember them so I'm thinking that there must be a battery that holds those settings when its powered off.

If anyone has any answers to whether TCs have batteries or not I'd be grateful.

buttonjaw
part12studios

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used a pedal with mine. i am surprised it's not saving that, but some systems don't always remember every setting. my Korg DW-8000 annoyingly doesn't remember omni off/on.. always on.. have to CC it off or manually do it.

Caleb
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not able to boot up my Triton right now, but if I recall, you can set the pedal preference in GLOBAL mode. And SAVE the setting before shut down.
bikerman12

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:24 am    Post subject: Triton Classic Battery Reply with quote

Hi, The Triton Classic doesn't have an internal battery.

I have the Triton Service Manual complete with schematics, Block Diagrams, and parts list. There is no reference in the parts list about a replacement battery holder.

I've found once you turn off or unplug the Keyboard, whatever you were doing is lost without saving it to the Floppy or (at that time) an External ZIP Drive.
part12studios

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well there is sample storage (RAM) which is volatile, but the global settings and various patches are part of some kind of flash memory..

if you customize one of the patches from the huge collection of banks.. those settings are permanently saved.. this is perfect if you use only built in wavs...

however if the patch you make references samples from an external device or live recording, those wav recordings will be gone.

This is why i ultimately got rid of my Triton.. while it is incredibly powerful, i bought it to be a sampler, not a rompler.. it's a fine rompler mind you but i like my JV-1080 better for that.

The way the triton loads samples is terribly clunky.. with an Akai or my trusty Peavey SP, you load an actual bank that includes everything.. settings, the waves all at the time, but because the triton has a preset number of patch slots it doesn't intelligently handle knowing where to grab the custom wavs you store on any give zip / floppy drive.. '

a real shame too.. but i think this issue is exactly why the triton was never really seen as a great sampler.. it could sample... and they put some good effort to make sample patch building pretty easy... it's like they forgot people actually will want to recall sample based patches with 1-2 button pushes not a bunch of menu diving..
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for what our Tritons have and what for items that they don’t have, one must remember that Korg introduced it in 1999. At that time it was cutting edge technology. Sure, it lacks things that we now take for granted, but it was fantastic back in 1999. BTW from time to time, I still see them on stage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: