Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini Drone = Awesomeness.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Mini Drone = Awesomeness. Reply with quote

Hi all.
I purchased a new little Toy yesterday. It's a Parrot Mini Drone (Mars Edition).
http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/minidrones/airborne-cargo-drone/mars/

If your looking for a little something to play around with and have some fun, you should check this little puppy out. Traditionally these little drones are fairly crazy to fly as they are very unstable.

However, this little one has some features on board you normally only find in the bigger drones. It has an ultrasonic sensor and camera underneath to monitor the ground below it. As a result it can hover all on it's own with pin point accuracy in the air. It's super stable. Quite darn unbelievably to be honest.

You could fly this little puppy through the eye of a needle. Take your hands off the controls and it will stop dead in mid air locked solid. No drift in any direction. You can even push it with your finger and it will return to where it was hovering.

You control it with your Phone or Tablet over Bluetooth (20M range). It can even use the Gyroscope in your Phone, which to be honest is my favourite way to fly it. It's so easy.

The Android version of it's App is brilliant. Super responsive. (tested on a Galaxy Note 4)

The only negative thing is the iOS App seems to have a minor odd issue. (tested on an iPad Air2). There's virtual controls on the screen for flying the drone and when you touch the screen, sometimes it doesn't detect my touch at all. I have to remove my fingers and try again. Once it does detect, you can fly perfectly. It's only a minor annoyance on iOS.

Anyway, if you have some money to throw a way on a cool little toy, you should check out this little drone.

Regards
Sharp.
John Hendry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... Sharp got a quad! LOL And that Parrot sure is stable and smooth flying. I think that's the smoothest inside quad copter flying I've seen yet. Parrot really exposes the difference from European design capabilities and China and is known for making high-end quads that are proprietary in their control systems and parts as well as being expensive ($1000+ with Skycontroller) but I didn't know they had this line and you could get one for less than a hundred bucks now. That's insane... not long ago the Trax Alias was considered cheap at $150 and look what it can't do that this does for 2/3rd the cost. Looks like now that Parrot has the micro chips and sensors with R&D costs behind them they are uping the anti to gain a bigger market share. I've mentioned before its really hard to keep up with the RC hobby advancements. If keyboards improved as fast as these little quads are we'd see a new model KORG every few months better than the one before it at 3/4th the price.

I see you have a Tarantula X6 too! Cool... now you're really in for it. LOL These low cost ready to fly Quad Copters have created an addiction in the RC hobby that is spreading so fast its giving kids gray hair. Being able to fly with better orientation at a greater distance at night due to lights with free shipping on many of them makes it even worse.

You said "Traditionally these little drones are fairly crazy to fly as they are very unstable." And here is what another guy said "Just got done with a test flight using my Tarantula X6, Devo 7E (modded), and SeByDocKy's ini file for the V2x2 protocol. Wow! What a difference from the stock tx."

Anyone wanting to take advantage of the insanely low cost RC quads out now should do themselves a favor and get a real RC transmitter as the low cost quads have improved drastically but the junk TX's they come with ruin the control response as they are more like on/off switches. You can increase their control resolution and performance drastically turning them into a different class of machine. All you need is a modified $60 DEVO 7E transmitter or far better a $100 DEVO 10 that despite it's low price is a very good hobby grade TX with telemetry and incredible programing capabilities. It's as good a TX as you'll likely ever really need for a quad copter except it does not have voice capabilities (yet, its an open source OS and that's in the works). To modify it you'll need to download a new OS called Deviation, a soldering iron and simple soldering skills, and two different protocol TX modules that cost less than $20 for both and then you can fly most of the popular brands like the Nuhui U807 that's now only $26 BNF (no TX/battery, etc), or the 65mm JJRC JJ1000 that's now $12.50 BNF.

I have a 550 quad with 12 in props on down but the 65mm JJ1000 despite it's low price and tiny size gets flown the most line of sight. IMO it is the best of all the low cost quads surpassing far more expensive and larger ones because I can fly it anywhere without worrying about harming the neighborhood and in scale is the fastest and makes any flying location much bigger. I tell people starting out they almost HAVE to get one because with prop guards on that dampens pitch angle response with the stock rubber unbreakable props in mode one it's a very stable training quad that won't break like the bigger heavier ones and you can crash all day without fear. It has long flight times and most important of all the lights for night flying are the best with a good early low voltage cutoff warning. And if you can't solder or are low on cash WL Toys makes the "Switchable" TX that's still below a true hobby grade TX but many times better with real gimbals and far greater range surpassing the junk stock TX's and it's only $24 dollars... with shipping. On sale I've seen both combined with shipping for less than $32, the Turnigy Accucell 6 50w charger for $10 (plus shipping-$6.00 alone so add some Nano Tech batteries), and normal 250-300mAh batteries are 2 bucks with free shipping. With a $4-6 balanced charge cable you charge 3 or 6 batteries of the same size at once

After you learn to fly the JJ1000 in mode one you can take off the prop guards, put on some Tanyu Hubsan clone props (60 for 6 bucks with free shipping), and use a 35-70C high discharge rate Nano Tech 260mAh battery ($3) in mode 3 or 4 and look out as it's a little pocket rocket and very maneuverable where things happen fast for 7:30 minutes or more due to less weight with the better props and battery.

And for learning to fly FPV (legally in the US I might add at 87 grams + 20-25g battery weight) or just the thrill of flying something bigger at a greater distance the Nuhui U807 is hard to beat. It's sporty to fly, easy to work on, parts are dirt cheap and available with free shipping from many sources with flight times of 9+ minutes.

But let me warn you... I wasn't kidding when I said the RC hobby is addicting and hard to keep up with so what ever you do... DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW.

http://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/CES-unveiled-07.jpg
John Hendry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp I just found this. Same as the Switchable TX but different protocol that works with the Tarantula X6 and it's only $17.95 now... with shipping
http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopter-parts/pp_196984.html#customer_review
DaniH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find!!! I'm going to get one for my son. The Lego attachment on the top is really nice.
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of the early and another models, but it's quite unstable, though, it just brings some adrenaline to fly it, so I like it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZg1BROWC8I

Current hardware: Kronos-1 61+1GB RAM+2nd HDD 320 Gb, Triton Extreme 76+MOSS+RAM+dual microSD to CF adapter+64 Gb microSD card, Roland GW7, Casio WK-3300, Casio CTK-631, Farfisa child synth, laptop HP Envy dv7 16Gb ram, Core-i7, 128 SSD+720 GB HDD, E-MU 0202 USB Audio Interface.
Midi: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, E-MU X-Board 61, launchpad mini, 3 Korg nano controllers, AKAI LPD+LPK, Behringer C2000.
My Kronos wish-list: www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=661561#661561
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: