Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PaAS or not?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jac38

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: PaAS or not? Reply with quote

When looking at the price for the PaAS, it's seems very expencive. Looking on other speaker system for keyboards, and Korg has one called MMA 130 wich is 25% cheaper and you get a 4 channel speaker on 30W, and compered to PaAS it does not make any sence. Yes it requier to plug it in the wall and it's big and heavy.

Without really knowing anything in the subject it seems to a better buy if you not are planning to play in the streets.

But I want to hear you opinions about this? Why is it so expencive and who needs it? Perhaps also what is the best buy, if you just want good enought for playing at home, without using headphones or having another sound system you can plug it in to....?

Jacob
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jacob, here's my opinion on the PaAS.

I personally bought one, as I wanted to try it out, sound-wise.

My opinion is that it's not, as some people might thing, adequate for playing out at even a small lounge gig (unfortunately the volume and/or sound quality just isn't there and, of course, it faces the wrong way to use for this purpose anyway). Therefore, I definitely wouldn't view it as a replacement for a small PA.

The PaAs will, of course, help you hear what you're playing if your PA speakers are way out front but only if you are not playing too loud. Ironically, I wouldn't even personally use it (or take it with me on a gig) as a monitor system, as it doesn't really accurately duplicate/replicate the sound that I would be getting from my PA anyway and distracts me from what the audience will actually be hearing (as well as giving potential mic feedback issues).

If, on the other hand, you mainly use your keyboard at home and don't mind a few extra cables, then I would think that you'd get much better sound, fidelity, power and flexibility with a pair of small studio monitors. They will also be much more versatile/useful, in my opinion, for other scenarios (i.e. recording monitoring, general music playback and/or DAW use).

The sound of the speaker is, in my opinion, just OK (it sounds much better not using the default PaAS Maxx Audio settings too). So, overall, unless you desperately need a speaker with no cables that helps you to avoid using headphones and doesn't really do the keyboard's sound justice, a nice pair of studio monitors will be a much better buy.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Jon
mabcomp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Paas Speaker Comments Reply with quote

it sounds much better not using the default PaAS Maxx Audio settings too

Can you elaborate please?
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other monitor speakers may be cheaper and deliver better sound quality.
But I have the PAas and all I can say: for home use it's just perfect.
I like the sound quality and I also like the compact setup, without cables in my room.
Also, the positioning is perfect: when you play you're right in the middle of the sound.
You can hear very well all the details you're playing, even at low volume (evenings).

Personally I don't think PAas is usable for gigging, although for a small room they produce quite a lot of volume.

Play in style. Wink
mabcomp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: PaAS Maxx Audio Reply with quote

Yes I would agree with all of that. For gigging Its just finding the right speakers that make the Pianos sound great without them costing ridiculous amounts of money. I often think you go and pay out for something like QSC 10's and effectively they turn out to sound no better than many other much cheaper speakers. That's just speculative on my part as I've never tried them but I wouldn't be in the least surprised if that was the case and then you will have thrown a lot of money away.

Actually some of the Behringer speakers are now proving to be very good and they are miles cheaper
bobb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: PAas peaked bar Reply with quote

I graduated from the 3x to my 4x in November and am very happy with the change. I kept my old PAas speaker bar and am using that on the 4x. I play mainly at home but also take my kb to monthly meetings of our keyboard club held in a community centre.
The speaker bar does a good job but, as I play a lot of theatre/other organ sounds, I Am thinking about buying a pair of 5" Tannoy Reveal 502 monitor speakers to replace the bar.

Is this a sensible move? Will the 502's make a really noticeable improvement at home and will they be ok for hall use?

Any views or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
PS Could Jonsey please explain more about his Maax advice please?
mabcomp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Speakers Reply with quote

Get the Yamaha Stagepas 300's OR this really good Keyboard amp which gives any keyboard amp a run for its money without costing the earth

Behringer K3000FX Keyboard / Vocals Combo Amp.
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mabcomp and Bobb, sorry for the slight delay in my reply to your questions. In regards to the PaAs, what I was suggesting was that you create your own Maxx preset, rather than using the default PaAs preset (which comes standard on the PA4x). I had assumed that the default one would definitely be the best sounding option but it wasn't until I ran a couple of A/B tests with my own user presets that I came to the conclusion, pretty quickly, that one can definitely improve, quite significantly, on the overall sound coming out of the PaAs.

Interestingly, I actually used the same Maxx preset that I created for my QSC K10s and even though I haven't done a lot of tweaking to customize it specifically for the PaAS, I could instantly tell that it sounded much better than the factory default.

in summary, what I'm saying is: don't assume, like I did, that the factory default Maxx settings will be the best. It's definitely worth experimenting with your own custom settings, to get the exact sound that you like.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Jon
bobb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for advice.
Bob
mabcomp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Maax Preset Reply with quote

Thanks Jon, I don't suppose you could share your settings? so we can compare.
bobb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great!
Bob
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mabcomp and Bobb, as requested, here are my personal Pa4x Maxx settings. As I mentioned previously, these are Maxx settings that I created and specifically tweaked for my QSC K10s PA (FYI, I run the EQ flat on my Allen and Heath Desk, when using these Maxx settings) but in my opinion, these settings will improve the sound from the PaAS too. I haven't tried them with other PA systems but they may be worth a try with your own speakers/setups.

Also, FYI, there used to be a video on YouTube (I can't remember who posted it) in which someone shared and demoed their PA3x Maxx settings in comparison to the factory settings. I used to use an adapted version of those settings on my PA3x but didn't think that they worked too well for the PA4x (even though, I read that someone else on this forum is using exactly the same settings that they used to use on their PA3x).

Subsequently, I decided to start from scratch, when I created these new PA4x Maxx settings.

Here are the settings (let me know though if you have any problems getting access, as it's my first time sharing a public image via Google Drive):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1fD9_7S1ptNbUpaUk8xNzVmcFU/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1fD9_7S1ptNbVpHQWdxbXB2RVU/view?usp=sharing

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Jon
bobb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent pics! I'll load up and try tomorrow.
Thanks very much Jon
Bob
bobb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon
I created a new maxx eq set using your settings and am really pleased with the result!

Thanks very much
Bob
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that you liked the sound of my Maxx settings Bob.
They were purposefully designed to be pretty bright settings (to match my QSC K10's) but am glad that they worked for your setup too.
Best wishes,

Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: