Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KORG PA4X terminology explained

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: KORG PA4X terminology explained Reply with quote

On the German Korg forum I came across the following survey to explain to former PA3X ( and other PA ) users the new structure and definitions that are being used for the PA4X and are subject to quite a few misunderstandings here and there, not least of all with yours truly himself.
My gratitude goes to Siebenhirter ( Austria) for the following contribution:

Hi,

There are no substantial differences in saving styles and their settings between the PA3X and the PA4X ( with the exception of Direct-Styles). The PA4X has factory, user and favourite styles which are saved in the same way as with the PA3X.
And similar to the PA3X you can save user and favourite styles but to replace factory styles you will have to unlock the Factory Protect for factory styles.

The PA4X introduces some new terminology:

KeyboardSet = Performance in PA3X
Keyboard-Set-Library = Performance-Bank in PA3X
Keyboard-Set1, 2, 3, 4 = STS1, 2, 3, 4 in Pa3x
Style Performance = Style settings of the keyboard tracks
Style Setting = style settings of the style tracks
SetList1 ... 12 = Songbook Custom List in PA3X

Write KdbSet to Library = Write Performances >Keyboard Set Bank ( = Performance Bank) and Location ( Performance number) can be selected from the screen.

Write KbdSet to Style = write STS into the current Style ( Style Performance) > Style is shown and selected, you can select the location (STS-number) on the screen.

Write Song = a new Songbook entry is created either as a Style- or a Song. ( including all appropriate Performances of the style used )

Songbook/BookEdit1 KeyboardSet/Write Current = saving the STS set of a Songbook entry >
Keyboard Set ( all STS or STS 1-4) can be selected from the screen

Style Performance are those settings in which the style settings ( keyboard-set 1,2,3,4,) of the realtime upper 1,2,3 and Lower have been allocated to.

Style-Setting are those tracks that have been programmed for Drums, Percussion, Bass, Acc 1-Acc5.
(Background Tracks)

Writing current Style Setting = writing/saving all settings for a particular style >Style bank and Style can be selected from the screen.
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the User view is not much different, but in programming structure of Pa4x Styles, Sounds, Songbook is different.
They redesign, this is why songbook is different.
Entries in Pa4x hold more information, like for example storing Chord Sequencer Data to Style.
Also Style Banks is extended, Pa3x has 40 places (8 x 5), Pa4x has 8 more, 8 x 6 = 48.
In Pa3x is 30 banks, 15 Factory and 15 Fav/User, which giving 30 x 8 x 5 = 1200 Styles.
In Pa4x is 26, 13 Factory and 13 Fav/User + 13 Direct, which is 26 x 8 x 6 = 1248 Styles total, only 48 more. Wink
Sounds hold more data, different sound design, Styles hold more info too, more and different FX setting.
If Sounds is different, Styles must too and of course Songbook.
For Users is not really matter, but the true is they change almost entire structure, let's hope for better one.
Fl Studio 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Performers Heaven
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Smies, you are going to be a valuable asset to our PA4X community, as always. Let me know if I can help you come to terms with anything!
Don
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonM wrote:
John Smies, you are going to be a valuable asset to our PA4X community, as always. Let me know if I can help you come to terms with anything!
Don

Well thank you Mr. Mason for this kind compliment ! I would not hold my breath though as I will hopefully spend most of my time playing the darn thing instead of programming, an addiction I can do without at my age ....
But I guess in time I wlll come up with some new Keyboard Sets as they have now dubbed the Performances. I recall that it took me well over three months, spending some time on it virtually every day, to come up with my Resources for the PA800. Shame that the PA4X sports so many parameters , it will be hard to see the wood for the trees..... Very Happy Very Happy

regards,
John
johnnie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsmies wrote:
DonM wrote:
Don

Well thank you Mr. Mason for this kind compliment ! I would not hold my breath though as I will hopefully spend most of my time playing the darn thing instead of programming, an addiction I can do without at my age ....
But I guess in time I wlll come up with some new Keyboard Sets as they have now dubbed the Performances. I recall that it took me well over three months, spending some time on it virtually every day, to come up with my Resources for the PA800. Shame that the PA4X sports so many parameters , it will be hard to see the wood for the trees..... Very Happy Very Happy

regards,
John

John I am glad that you have or will move onto the PA4x from your PA800. You did some brilliant work with your 800 of which I am a grateful recipient and still use many and I am sure that all that know you will also be glad that you make this transition.
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Johnnie for your kind words.

At the risk of blowing my own trumpet I must admit that I am proud of all of the programming and tweaking that I have been doing over the last 15 years on Korg arranger keyboard but none so much as the PA800.

At the moment I am completely without an arranger still awaiting delivery of the PA4X. It should have been here but due to a cockup between dealer and distributor I am now scheduled for the late March batch. So in the meantime I am leaning heavily on my Yamaha piano which in itself is not a bad thing as I still have a very long long way to go there.

I will keep you posted about my adventures with the PA4X but it will take time !

regards,
John Smies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: