Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

microKORG: Can I transmit MIDI data over USB?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dimas897

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: microKORG: Can I transmit MIDI data over USB? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a microKORG XL+. I am connecting it to my Mac laptop via the USB OUT on the synth and the USB IN on my laptop.

I'm running Logic X and I'm trying to sync the synth with Logic's clock, but the synth isn't seeing Logic's clock.

My question is: Can I transmit MIDI data to and from the microKORG using the USB-to-USB cable? OR do I have to use a USB-to-MIDI cable?

If I need to use a USB-to-MIDI cable, then what good is the USB port on the microKORG? Is it there just to transfer non-MIDI data (like when using the Sound Editor)?

Thank you!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The USB port on the mKXL+ carries only MIDI data. After installing de Korg USB driver and hooking up the XL+, you should see 2 MIDI in an 2 MIDI out ports appearing on your PC:
* XL+ MIDI out: To send data from your PC, over the USB cable to the MIDI out DIN connector of the XL+.
* XL+ MIDI in: To receive data from the MIDI in DIN connector of the XL+, over the USB cable, in your PC.
* XL+ KBD/KNOB: To receive the MIDI data that is generated, when you hit the keyboard, turn the wheels, dial the knobs on the XL+ in your PC.
* XL+ SOUND: To send from your PC, MIDI data to the sound engine of the XL.

E.g. when you send MIDI data from your PC to the XL+ MIDI OUT interface, the XL+ will only pass through that data towards the MIDI OUT DIN connector at the back. Though, when you send it to the XL+ SOUND port, it will end in the XL+ sound engine.

Btw, the editor is only sending plain MIDI data, independent whether you use the USB-USB or the USB-MIDI connection.

So for syncing, you first need to choose the XL+ SOUND port. Check also the followin global MIDI settings of the XL+ itself:
* routing: is either MIDI+USB, or USB. MIDI setting will fail when using the USB-USB connection.
* Clock: AUTO or EXT_USB. Other settings will fail when using the USB-USB connection.

What you can check: choose EXT_USB mode for the CLOCK. If the USB cable is unplugged, the tempo LED will not blink. This is ok, because the XL+ does not receive a clock and does not generate one itself. Plug the USB cable, choose the SOUND port as MIDI out device in Logic and let Logic forward its clock. If ok, the tempo led starts to blink again.

Good luck.
dimas897

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for writing, OpAmp!

You wrote:
---------------
* XL+ MIDI out: To send data from your PC, over the USB cable to the MIDI out DIN connector of the XL+.
---------------

Don't you mean that this port sends data from my Mac to the MIDI IN (not MIDI OUT) DIN connector on the XL+?

Also, what is the difference between XL+ MIDI OUT and XL+ SOUND? Are both ports transmitting the exact same data, and the only difference is that with XL+ MIDI OUT I need a USB-MIDI cable, while with XL+ SOUND I can just use a USB-USB cable?
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

No, my statements are correct. I cross checked them once more. Note that those 4 options are only valid if you connect the board via USB-USB. If you connect your PC via USB-MIDI DIN to the DIN connectors of the board the story becomes a bit different. First of all, on the PC, the XL+ MIDI ports will not appear anymore with that name. I only considered the USB-USB case as you were trying to set this up according to your first post.

If you connect via USB-USB cable, the difference between XL+ MIDI OUT and XL+ Sound (as seen from your PC) is like I described before. Data sent to XL+ MIDI OUT will be forwarded to the MIDI OUT DIN connector. Data sent to XL+ SOUND will arrive in the sound module of the board. Meaning, a note event will NOT sound when sent to MIDI OUT (because forwarded to the DIN), but will sound when sent to the SOUND port.

Refer also to the 3 schematics in the manual on page 59. It may become a bit clearer. In fact the upper one is important. The other two are subsets when you change the routing parameter where certain routings get disabled.

(In fact when using USB-USB, the XL+ appears as 2 logical MIDI interfaces, one to communicate with the XL+ sound engine itself, and one to communicate, over the USB cable, through the XL+, with a device hooked up to the MIDI IN/OUT DIN connectors of the XL+.)

Bye.
dimas897

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay--that makes sense. Thank you for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: