Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Record Button Fear Syndrome (RBFS)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Record Button Fear Syndrome (RBFS) Reply with quote

Does anyone experiences this?
Whenever I press the record button anywhere - in Kronos or a PC DAW, I immediately feel that inspiration disappears, because lower desires of fame and greed, desires "to grasp music", " to catch a "butterfly of music", instantly interfere and ruin the process. May be its because the ratio of my selfless music, dedicated to Lord, Truth or Music itself to a selfish music dedicated to fame and social benefits of being a musician, is too low. Due to lack of time I rarely play my synths and when I do, I try to record it, but it seems, some Music deity from above doesn't like it this way. First it wants me to sacrifice a lot of Music to her, 10/1 or more. And only 1/10 for a human beings or myself)) A bit strange, but that's the way I feel it in my heart.. Because when I improvise, I try to be a transparent medium between Higher worlds and this world, and any selfish desires such as keeping the record to yourself makes me muddy and not transparent for Light anymore. Music is like a butterfly - when you catch it, it leaves its beauty colors on your fingers and dies..
I think singers are familiar with this syndrome too. But they have fear for the mic.))
So the ratio of selfless/selfish music should be high for inspiration to work..
Current hardware: Kronos-1 61+1GB RAM+2nd HDD 320 Gb, Triton Extreme 76+MOSS+RAM+dual microSD to CF adapter+64 Gb microSD card, Roland GW7, Casio WK-3300, Casio CTK-631, Farfisa child synth, laptop HP Envy dv7 16Gb ram, Core-i7, 128 SSD+720 GB HDD, E-MU 0202 USB Audio Interface.
Midi: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, E-MU X-Board 61, launchpad mini, 3 Korg nano controllers, AKAI LPD+LPK, Behringer C2000.
My Kronos wish-list: www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=661561#661561
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Record button fear is pretty common. I can play a part ten times and then when I hit record I fumble the first take. For me it has nothing to do with higher powers. It just requires a different mindset to both be precise yet not feel constricted while you're recording. Relaxation exercises can help with this. And simply recording yourself a lot will also take away some of the extra pressure felt when the red light goes on.
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for advices, but the point is, the more frequent I record myself, the more empty and meaningless my music becomes.. May be, because it is not "my" music.. I just a conductor.. It is all about desires of my soul - to please Lord or my soul, or someone else's soul for money with music.

But I know the way I can still record my soul - in FL Studio DAW there's a great function of a background midi auto-record of everything within last 3 minutes. This is a short time but very often is enough to capture the voice of my soul. I just play what I want, without any desire or intention to record, and If there emerges something musically valuable, then I simply dump last 3 minutes of recording to a pattern sequencer. Great feature. Wish Kronos has it. Roland Fantom does something like, but it records wave file instead of midi.
Current hardware: Kronos-1 61+1GB RAM+2nd HDD 320 Gb, Triton Extreme 76+MOSS+RAM+dual microSD to CF adapter+64 Gb microSD card, Roland GW7, Casio WK-3300, Casio CTK-631, Farfisa child synth, laptop HP Envy dv7 16Gb ram, Core-i7, 128 SSD+720 GB HDD, E-MU 0202 USB Audio Interface.
Midi: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, E-MU X-Board 61, launchpad mini, 3 Korg nano controllers, AKAI LPD+LPK, Behringer C2000.
My Kronos wish-list: www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=661561#661561
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just record the entire session audio continuously using an audio recorder and the keystrokeds using MIDI recorder software. If something good comes out of it, note the time into the recording for subsequent retrieval. If there's nothing of use, just delete and start again.

Aziz1008

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, but I still be realizing that I do record myself, hence, expect that I can create a masterpiece.. Or I'm going to share the private Message addressed to me only with someone else.. It is not a humble point of view, and Someone Who sends the musical Message, will just stop transmitting it.

It resembles me how in quantum physics a measurement tool can change experiment's results... So is the red button and recording (registration) process for me. And the only way to overcome this - raise musical selflessness to a higher degree. Music should be the private prayer 90% of the time, and only 10% - a public message. It means that 90% of time you are communicating with Higher powers and only 10% with this world, just to convey the Message..

If we look into history of Music, we will find that at the very beginning music took its birth in temples and religion...
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually music predates temples and all known religions by thousands of years.
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you show me some example ?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for instance the (probably) oldest temple they ever found is the Göbekli Tepe, which is around 10,000 years old. The oldest musical instruments (disregarding things like singing and beating stones together) are paleolithic flutes, some of which are over 40,000 years old.
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I see your point. But when I talk of religion I do not mean any traditional institution of religion.. I mean the Religion in itself, which name came from Latin, meaning "to interconnect" (with higher powers). And no one can tell why Music was practiced and for what purpose, as no one can tell why wolves howl at the Moon, may be they are praying this way?) So it well could be that ancient music was used for "connecting" to outer or inner Universe within our soul..
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything could be of course Smile
I was just going by your earlier post which said "If we look into history of Music, we will find that at the very beginning music took its birth in temples and religion..." and pointed out that the opposite seems to be true.
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant that music as we know it, was developed mostly in medieval times of I.S. Bach, who, being deeply religious, composed mainly sacred music to be played in church..

And another reason to prove that music/arts and religion are interconnected - your masterpiece cannot be better than the subject it's dedicated to.. And the ideal subject is the God, the most beautiful, wise and powerful.. So the music devoted to the Lord becomes perfect as He is.. And it is even easier to compose for Lord, because it is more more natural, because nothing deserves glorifying more than the Lord.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only really debate the facts but if you're interested in the history of music I think there's a lot of good reading for you to do.

Bach, assuming you mean Johann Sebastian, certainly composed a lot of religious music. But I'm not sure I would say "mainly". A lot of his most famous work is not religiously themed or intended at all, for instance the Brandenburg Concerto's, the Well-Tempered Clavier, the Goldberg Variations and the Italian Concerto.

He also did not live in medieval times and it would be a stretch to say that music as we know it was developed "mostly by him". That's like saying that the Beatles created modern pop music. They were certainly very innovative and influential but saying it like that is a huge disservice to all their role models before them and everyone who took what they did and made it their own. I would argue that Bach and The Beatles are at least of equal importance to contemporary popular music, by the way.
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not a historian, thank you for pointing this out, )) but I was mistaken not too much - Bach lived in an Renaissance era, right after Middle Age or medieval age.

From wiki:

Johann Sebastian Bach[a] (31 March [O.S. 21 March] 1685 – 28 July 1750)

In European history, the Middle Ages or medieval period lasted from the 5th to the 15th century. It began with the collapse of the Western Roman Empire and merged into the Renaissance and the Age of Discovery. The Middle Ages is the middle period of the three traditional divisions of Western history: Antiquity, Medieval period, and Modern period. The Medieval period is itself subdivided into the Early, the High, and the Late Middle Ages.

Also, anyone can have any personal vision of the world he lives in, as his conscience allows him. Of course this has immediate effect on his creative activity. Someone just don't like the God due to some ancient envy, and don't want to see Him everywhere, others act vice versa. And the results differ accordingly.

Why I think that any creative activity, at any age, was driven by God? Well, just because I made some research and have noticed, that whenever a musician wants to write down or hit a note, he always consults with a feeling of Truth produced by conscience within him. So does a painter, before putting a brush stroke, so does the scientist, solving the problems of Time & Space.. So does even animal, being born without any knowledge - and we call it instinct. And they instantly receive an answer what is better and more harmonical.. And the instance they become arrogant and too proud of themselves, claiming that it is themselves who paints canvases or composes music - then they instantly loose that ability to hear inner voice of God or conscience from within their hearts and become blind and inspiration disappears.

According to Vedic scriptures, God is always within our hearts, constantly guiding us as voice of conscience. He did not left us alone, guiding us internally as conscience and externally, through Scriptures and even pain, if we ignore voice of conscience and word of Scriptures.

As religious debates are prohibited on this site, I think we should stop here.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we'll have to agree to disagree Smile
Happy music making, in any case!
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word: J. S. Bach lived in the late Baroque period, not in Renaissance. (Although the labels for eras in music history are subsequently created and often blurred.)

This thread contains interesting thoughts related to faith, aesthetics, improvisation/composing etc. and it's not strictly related to original subject RBFS only.

Follow Bach. Think about your music talent as a gift – you can do whatever you want with a gift, right? Use it and enjoy it as you like – it is not bad, it is not selfish. Of course, the best if you can use it for good and you can thank to the one whom you received it from. Bach did it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: