Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts on sound differences between the Kronos and PA4x

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AudioProCT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on sound differences between the Kronos and PA4x Reply with quote

I was just curious to hear from those who have had the opportunity or possible owns both these machines, how would they compare the 2 when it comes to sounds, I know the Kronos is the clear winner with the synth sounds because of its sound engines, but when comparing strings, brass, guitars, EPs, etc, myself personally I tend to give the edge to the PA4x. It seems to me that these sounds are more pleasing or musically finished, either via effects or overall tone.

I think the Kronos is an amazing step in the future of technology, but the places I think it lacks in is,

1 quick changes or layers are pretty tedious compared to the 4x where almost anything can be done on the fly
2 acoustic guitar, especially steel string sounds so much more real
3 brass has that not perfect sound on the PA4x, where it seems a bit sterile on the Kronos
4 I would give the distorted electric guitar sounds to the Kronos, but between us, Yamaha and Roland has Korg beat
5 I think the PA4x synth sounds or at least the pre-programmed are a bit weak but the beauty of the pa4 is you can make your own.

What are your thoughts
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=102491

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
AudioProCT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read that thanks, but I was more thinking about the overall sounds especially meet and potatoes, right out of the box.
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, I absolutely LOVE the new guitar sounds. I use some with slight distortion, but not the heavily distorted ones much.
I find a lot of the pre-programmed Keysets have too much processing for my ear, so I usually switch them out with sounds directly from the Sound list.
I prefer the lead guitars even over Yamaha, because many of the Yamaha sounds do things automatically that I don't want to happen. I rely a lot on the joystick and touchstrip. There are some key-controller articulations that i like, but they are not overdone, as I feel they are on Yamaha.
In fairness I must add that I have never played a Kronos, only heard demos.
Don
Jugoslovak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both the Kronos X & the PA4X... the sound from the Kronos wins hands down... its chalk & cheese between the two machines, although the new guitars in the PA4X are fantastic as also the drum kits too.
I have loaded both machines up with all types of Balkan samples and as far as adding effects, both machines do a great job in getting the sound I want perfect.
Reason 8.3
Kontakt 5.5.1
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my limited hands on with PA4X (out-of-the-box) I can't agree that the sound from the Kronos wins hands down.
There are things that I wish I had on my Kronos like DNC.

But it's all subjective and personal.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Jugoslovak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the Kronos is equipped with 9 sound engines and the PA series still running a typical late 90's early 00's setup its a landslide for the Kronos no doubt about it. Yes, the PA4X has great new DNC's, etc... but it is clearly no match against the Kronos.
It would be awesome though if Korg lifts its game and creates an arranger with the technology of a Kronos and gives us MORE RAM and storage... now that would be a game changer! With something like that caleber , there will be no competition from ANY other brand whatsoever.
It would save people like me the task of lugging around 2 beasts hahahaha.
Reason 8.3
Kontakt 5.5.1
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - I guess that when the Kronos becomes a professional arranger and the PA4X becomes a 9-sound engine workstation we'll all be happy - OR WILL WE!!!!! Wink
Jugoslovak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Yep - I guess that when the Kronos becomes a professional arranger and the PA4X becomes a 9-sound engine workstation we'll all be happy - OR WILL WE!!!!! Wink

Hahahahahahaaa!!! Hmmm.... trick question?

Would be nice though Laughing
Reason 8.3
Kontakt 5.5.1
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the mean time, Korg get me to buy 2 keyboards instead of just 1.

BUT I love em both - fantastic
(just about to order my PA4X)

Pete Very Happy
Jugoslovak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome news Pete!! I picked mine up yesterday morning... played with it all day yesterday and all day today & absolutly LOVE IT!!
I've already filled it up with about 300Mb of samples and tell you what, the sound quallity kicks ass over the PA3X... all I did was tweak the EQ setting a little and thats it... I am amazed with the quality of this thing!!
The Kronos is looking a little sad at the moment though... hasn't had any loving all day hahahaaaa.
Reason 8.3
Kontakt 5.5.1
AudioProCT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely the Kronos has the technology, way more advanced, and the horsepower to boot, but as musicality goes, that isn't always the clear winner.

I listen to the brass on the PA4x and I love the almost low fi sound compared to the pristine of the Kronos. In a nutshell, I think the PA4x is a select a sound and go, where the Kronos is more, here is a sound, now do anything you want to it and more, yes you can do allot to sounds with the pa4x too, but not as much as the Kronos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: