Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RIP Keith Emerson.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MusicLive

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: RIP Keith Emerson. Reply with quote

We lose another prominent and great keyboard player.

Sincere condolences, prayers and heartfelt thoughts go to his family and friends.

RIP Keith Emerson

MC
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG. How sad and terrible. Truly the end of an era, and the passing of an
amazing keyboardist and person. I hope he's at peace...

I'll never forget having him stop by in Japan during a Korg Voicing meeting
for the original red Karma Workstation, this was probably 1999 or 2000.

We all went out for sushi together, and he was truly the warmest, nicest guy.
I treasure that photo... and the memory... and the impact he made on my life
and some of the directions it took. He was probably one of the main reasons
I was inspired to go after being a keyboardist. RIP Keith.

JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1970 I was 18 and in an R&B band. A musician friend of mine invited me over to listen to ELP, which had just been released. To this day I can remember the exact feeling that came over me when the synth swelled into the solo at the end of Lucky Man - surreal. After it was over we listened to it again and I made up my mind that I had to play that. Long story short; I saved up enough money to get a model D, but soon realized that while the synth made the sound, it was his amazing technique and taste that brought it to life. Keith Emerson inspired me with a dedication to technique development that has lasted for more than 45 years and has served me well. Every time I saw him I left reenergized and in complete awe. His influence is inexplicable and his talent irreplaceable.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This album and Keith's Lucky Man Moog lead was seminal to awakening my interest in playing synths. I remember the first time i heard the album in 1970 like it was yesterday.

Rest in Peace Keith Emerson ... you have left behind a priceless legacy ... thank you.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
CGoodhines

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: My childhood hero Reply with quote

Keith, at a time when I was ready to give it all up, you inspired me with your writing and playing. I led to my interest in synthesizers, and purchase of very many of them as well as my often reckless (at times) style of playing, often trying new melodies and passages, while plying live, of all times. As soon as we could, we played as many ELP songs as we could, shrugging off Rolling Stones etc. material. You were never afraid to try something new or over-the-top. The great innovator, you paved the way for so many of us. I had hoped to someday meet you-now that's gonna have to wait a bit longer. Fly well, my old friend. Say hello to Bob Moog and Chris Squire for me![/url]
ando727

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the ELP era but I'm motivated to go back and discover it now. Sounds like Keith was a real trailblazer. RIP.
totallykenny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was an amazing keyboard player, Outstanding composer , And had a heart of gold a true humanist !!! KIND PERSON ! He will be missed immensely . He always inspired me.
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
OMG. How sad and terrible. Truly the end of an era, and the passing of an
amazing keyboardist and person. I hope he's at peace...

I'll never forget having him stop by in Japan during a Korg Voicing meeting
for the original red Karma Workstation, this was probably 1999 or 2000.

We all went out for sushi together, and he was truly the warmest, nicest guy.
I treasure that photo... and the memory... and the impact he made on my life
and some of the directions it took. He was probably one of the main reasons
I was inspired to go after being a keyboardist. RIP Keith.

So well put, Stephen. He was also one of the main reasons I became inspired to electronic keyboards.

Peace and Golden Bells to you, Brother Keith.

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above ELP album, Tarkus and Pictures at an Exhibtion are still reference pieces of creative music of it's own kind to me.

A sad week, first saying goodbye to George Martin, an incredible producer, and now to Keith Emerson.

@Stephen
What a cool photo with the energetic face of a young man with long black hair starting into adventure! Wink
cobi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith and ELP were THE reason for me to learn playing keyboards in the 70ties. Starting with a cheap Farfisa organ and always trying to play as cool as Keith did.
Although I never reached the perfection and skill of Keith he was an inspiration to play and never give it up all my live.

Very sad to know that he was in the end not so happy and lucky as he had deserved. RIP Keith
Pedja
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was my Idol, he is my Idol, and he will be my Idol. All glory goes to him. God bless him, and rest in peace.
My fascination with Keith Emerson went to 1972. year, when I bought In Bern, his double LP, Emerson with Nice. He cast a spell on me with his partitur in Suite Of Seven Bridges (I was 16. years old) and piano improvisation which was a Bach fugue, where he play a game with rock and roll, jazz and classic. I became his great fan, and after in group ELP, became much more and more.
I am very bad pianist compare with him, his left hand was some of the fastest in all Rock and Roll scene. I will never stop to admire him.
My music: https://soundcloud.com/pedjak-1
http://moca.virtual.museum/autogallery2017/autogallery_kalajdzijevic/
http://moca.virtual.museum/dablog/dablog02.htm
http://moca.virtual.museum/autogallery2019/autogallery_kalajdzijevic/
https://www.saatchiart.com/PedjaK
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedja wrote:
He was my Idol, he is my Idol, and he will be my Idol. All glory goes to him. God bless him, and rest in peace.
My fascination with Keith Emerson went to 1972. year, when I bought In Bern, his double LP, Emerson with Nice. He cast a spell on me with his partitur in Suite Of Seven Bridges (I was 16. years old) and piano improvisation which was a Bach fugue, where he play a game with rock and roll, jazz and classic. I became his great fan, and after in group ELP, became much more and more.
I am very bad pianist compare with him, his left hand was some of the fastest in all Rock and Roll scene. I will never stop to admire him.

Yes, far too fast for a humble player like me. It didn't take stop Emerson and Wakeman being my keyboard heroes. Knowing I would never match their talent does not stop admiration - it probably improves it.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
holdsg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree completely with everyone, and in particular Derek's post. Will always be amazed at how he played. Gave it everything he had in every performance. Remember the floating piano at the California Jam? Amazing musician, showman, persona. Any of you young guys that have never heard of ELP or prog-rock, no better place to start than Tarkus, Brain Salad Surgery, and Pictures at an Exhibition.
JPDD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerson was my hero when i was a teenager in the 70s. I spent countless hours dropping the needle of my family's record player on Karn Evil 9 trying to make sense of it : )

After I heard the news of his passing I put on Toccata and cranked it...incredible. Godspeed Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: