Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing buttons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
methusala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Replacing buttons Reply with quote

Hi,

A few of my buttons are not working after a number of years of pressing. To re-place them, I'm going to have to lift the lid and get into the inner workings. I have the Oasys but this thread will apply to the Kronos too---I'm sure. There must be someone who has done this successfully.

I've got the parts. The patient has been anaesthetised and is lying on the hospital trolley. I have the required instruments (screwdrivers--do I need a soldering iron too ?). Is there a thread or video for this surgical operation ?

Pad 4 has now given up the ghost in sympathy with the number 4 on the numerical pad. It doesn't halt the creative process though.

I'll stick my head out that THERE IS NOBODY OWNING THE OASYS USED FAIRLY REGULARILY WHERE ALL THE BITS ARE STILL WORKING FAULTLESSLY.--if so, you probably use as feather duster.

Can anyone help me in the right direction here ?

Regards,
Patrick

I've sent this over to the Kronos site as well.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing buttons Reply with quote

methusala wrote:
I'll stick my head out that THERE IS NOBODY OWNING THE OASYS USED FAIRLY REGULARILY WHERE ALL THE BITS ARE STILL WORKING FAULTLESSLY.--if so, you probably use as feather duster.

Still works like a charm and I use it regularly! I used WD-40 on several of my buttons, including ENTER, sequencer REC/WRITE, KARMA scene buttons, KARMA On/Off, control surface modes and some bank select buttons. The spray literally brought them back to life, including one that wasn't working at all.

Other threads on the topic:

Buttons

Buttons 2

Last edited by Mike Conway on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is not public and you don't have to do it this way...
WD-40 on my buttons

Obviously, I've edited the video for time. It will probably take a good number of presses for the button to smooth out.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any luck, Patrick?
ErnstDabest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
WD-40 on my buttons

I used WD-40 on several of my buttons, including ENTER, sequencer REC/WRITE, KARMA scene buttons, KARMA On/Off, control surface modes and some bank select buttons. The spray literally brought them back to life, including one that wasn't working at all.

You, my friend, are the definition of big ballin'

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Yes, thank you. But no effect on one of the pads which is not really troublesome since I tend not to use them as frequently as the buttons. Anyway I can use the others. As I type this, the 'Tap Tempo' is on the blink with no effect from WD40. I think it's gone for good but I have the switch beside it and 2 metronomes on my shelf.

Kind help from you and others.

Patrick

I wonder what WD 40 would do for the 'Function' button, which like one of yours also isn't working at all.
SoulBe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mike advised I also used the WD 40 sometime ago because my enter button stopped working and now it works perfectly again.

But I notice, that my first pad starts to make trouble. Has anyone also tried the WD 40 for the pads or is there another recommendation?

best regards

SoulBe
racer25

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
WD-40 on my buttons

Obviously, I've edited the video for time. It will probably take a good number of presses for the button to smooth out.

Umm...WD-40? I was also thinking of this, but read where it maybe shouldn't be used for electronics? Saw some info to use Deoxit, which I happen to have a can of, but this usually only helps potentiometers. Just wasn't sure if it might help buttons and was reluctant to try. Anyone else ever used the Deoxit on the Oasys?

(Korg Oasys, Wavestation SR, Korg Karma, Roland JD800, Yamaha TX816, Omnisphere & a few other soft synths).
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racer25 wrote:
Mike Conway wrote:
WD-40 on my buttons

Umm...WD-40? I was also thinking of this, but read where it maybe shouldn't be used for electronics? Saw some info to use Deoxit, which I happen to have a can of, but this usually only helps potentiometers. Just wasn't sure if it might help buttons and was reluctant to try. Anyone else ever used the Deoxit on the Oasys?

As a matter of fact, I use DeoxIT D5 with success on all my keyboards and electronics. If it is a "gummed up" button or pad it will do the job.

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racer25 wrote:
Saw some info to use Deoxit, which I happen to have a can of

That is most likely a wiser choice. Wink
racer25

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
racer25 wrote:

The Deoxit D5 worked great in terms of fixing inconsistent button press contact! Works 100% now on a few of my buttons that weren’t always making contact. HOWEVER, be real careful in spraying down into the buttons. I sprayed in between the buttons and some below where there’s a small gap, and maybe over-did it a just bit. I didn’t think I put that much in but see below.

The buttons appear to be 2-piece with an upper “clear” plastic cover piece. The deoxit came back up into this plastic cover piece and either partially or completely filled the open cavity of the button. It’s not terribly noticeable, but you can see a difference in these versus the ones I didn’t spray. Maybe over time, these will clear up to be the same as the others.

Has anyone ever opened up the board to try and clean these another way? I’m guessing that it might be tough since a circuit board would need to be removed located over the buttons? I know I’ve opened it up before for general cleaning, but never took out a board. Just curious if anyone’s tried this?

(Korg Oasys, Wavestation SR, Korg Karma, Roland JD800, Yamaha TX816, Omnisphere & a few other soft synths).
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
racer25 wrote:

Hi Mike, don't suppose you managed to get the "function" button working Twisted Evil
Korg Oasys 76, Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg Wavestation EX, Roland Jupiter X, 2 x Roland A800 Pro, Yamaha SY77, MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Core i7 2.7GHz 16GB / 768GB, MainStage 3, Cymatic uTrack24, Samson S Patch, U-PHORIA UMC404HD Audio interface, Yamaha MG16XU mixer
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff Flynn wrote:
Hi Mike, don't suppose you managed to get the "function" button working Twisted Evil

Actually,.... when pressed with 3 other buttons, it initiates the Calibration routine.
methusala

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone remember what the official response from Korg was for this unique piece?
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
Geoff Flynn wrote:

Actually,.... when pressed with 3 other buttons, it initiates the Calibration routine.

Oooh, which three ????????
Korg Oasys 76, Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg Wavestation EX, Roland Jupiter X, 2 x Roland A800 Pro, Yamaha SY77, MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Core i7 2.7GHz 16GB / 768GB, MainStage 3, Cymatic uTrack24, Samson S Patch, U-PHORIA UMC404HD Audio interface, Yamaha MG16XU mixer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: