Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Layer Bass Sounds In Manual Bass Mode
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
taki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: How to Layer Bass Sounds In Manual Bass Mode Reply with quote

What I am trying to do is as follows. When I play with a band that does not have a bass player, I use the manual bass mode.

Currently, it only sounds one bass sound, where at a certain point of lower notes the bass sound becomes too muddy...

Also, I would like to layer a slap on when I hit the velocity a certain amount.

When I am in manual bass sound, I cannot figure out how to layer 2-3 bass sounds and split up their range an adjust their velocities per bass sound.

Can this be done in manual bass mode?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks...
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taki , Manual Bass always plays the specific bass that is choosen for that Style , so bass sound changes only
when you change the styles if a different one has been used there !
In general if you don't use styles , you can create Set Library (STS) sounds with bass in lower track
or full keyboard Bass without split , but you have to disable upper & lower scan mode , never use manual bass
button and you pick those Set Library sounds according to the bass you need.
But in that case you have to rebuild all your Set Library you need , using bass as lower track , since you surely
need also lead sounds simultaneously for your right hand !

Therefore I have a tricky suggestion for You that I advice my customers in a similar case you do not play styles
but You act like a bassist and Keyboard Soloist in a minor Band , to avoid editing all your Set Library !
- As first browse SOUND for basses of your taste , plenty of them ready to use (mostly DNC).
- Create a style from scratch called "Solo Bass" via Style Play/Record (read manual )
- Assign Bass Var tracks 1-3 with different bass sounds you want to play with your left hand.
- Assign an empty sound at Acc1 track of 3 Variations and pretend to record a few notes for every 1 to 3 tracks
to register midi events due to enable Vars with existing data (or easier write some random bass notes).
- Save Style

How this works ...
While balance is at middle possition , choose that style , enable "manual Bass" button , and choose between Var1
to 3 for the kind of bass you need every time.
Note that when you change Set Library , bass will be always at your left hand according to the saved split point
of the Set Library sound regardless of STS lower sound !
Two points need your attention in that case :
1) You must never start style
2) In all your choosen Set Library sounds lower recognition must be enabled and must have a split point
(valid in most factory Set Library sounds).

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V

Last edited by AntonySharmman on Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
taki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony,

Thanks for the suggestion... But I think the way you are explaining this style setup will allow me to go between 3 different bass sounds...

I am asking if I can layer 3 bass sounds like a 'combi' mode that Korg has and still be able to use the right hand lead with split point.

I hope I understood your workaround correctly. I I did, it sounds like I just need to be happy just playing one bass sound and switching it manually throughout the night for another bass sound....

I was hoping that there would be a similar range section as there is for the 3 lead sounds per STS for the lower 4 accomp sounds.

Please tell me if I misunderstood, or if there is a another way to layer three bass sounds and keep in manual mode instead of creating seperate styles with leads as you suggested.

Thanks....
taki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw I see you are from Greece. I am Greek too... Kala Pasxa...
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also posted
Manual Bass always plays the specific bass that is choosen for that Style , so bass sound changes only
when you change the styles if a different one has been used there !

Also I know that taki = Τάκης συνήθως Παναγιώτης Wink

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
taki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signomia --Kalo Pasxa.. Kai Takis apo Kostakis...

I guess there seems to be no workaround for my combi 3 bass's when using manual bass. I am still going to try to think of something else.

Euxaristo
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can create your own bass Sound but this is the first usual case I wrote , in any other case you have
to edit all styles and assign your desired bass sound (you'd rather forget it)
I think that I've written all your possible options , so read them carefully 'cause this can been done ...

Καλό Πάσχα και σε εσένα Κωνσταντίνε !

taki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony,

You are correct after rereading your approach, I think I know what you are saying... Basically, the end state is that I will be able to use 3 different bass sounds using the var buttons...

Anyway, I have started trying to go through the new style process. I have read the manual, but I am stuck on one thing...

After I get into the new style record main page and select the bass sound to record, thus the red light on the bass mixer channel, I do not hear a bass sound. The green activate light blinks when I strike the keyboard, but no sound. When I alter the record channel to drums or accomp channel, I hear the sound. What is going on?

Thanks
taki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry... forget my question...

I forgot I altered the output to channel 2 from left/right when I play manual bass in the global setting...

I needed to alter this back in global mode to left/right...

The main lesson I learned is that whatever last setting you have in global gets automatically saved... btw except the global overwrite of factory settings always gets protected.

Taki
taki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Anthony, I got things working per your instructions. It took a couple iterations to do, but that is normal in anything new...

Just to recap what is going on....

This approach does not layer any bass sounds... What this approach allows us to do is use up to 4 different bass sounds on the fly, by selecting the one of the 4 VAR buttons.... While playing in manual bass mode.

This does not allow us to layer more than 2 bass sounds either, so it is important to choose the right bass sound when in the certain lower range of the keyboard.

The other things that came to mind is that the volumes might be different from bass sound to bass sound, so make sure you have your sliders all turned down, except for the bass slider. Default that at around 50%, so you can raise and lower bass volume when altering VAR bass sounds... not all bass sounds will be at same volume.

Also, what I do is go into global and send the bass sound to say output 2 so you can EQ the bass sound itself only through the mixer board.

Thanks Anthony for your assistance...

But, if anyone else has any ideas that may be able to layer sounds in manual bass mode, I am all ears!!!!

Thanks,

Taki
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taki wrote:
This approach does not layer any bass sounds... What this approach allows us to do is use up to 4 different bass sounds on the fly, by selecting the one of the 4 VAR buttons.... While playing in manual bass mode.

You do not use basses on the fly ... you pre-select them in every Variation with specific expression (volume)
in record mode and you need to read about advanced style editing , since I don't think you have sufficiently
understood my concept that I've already done it in all PaSeries.
Basses multi splits are completely insane for real time use while changing Set Library sounds for your right hand !

A style track can hire only a SOUND not an STS combi , so you have to modify or recreate custom Bass SOUNDs
according to your taste , even to merge 2,3 bass sounds in one , copying OSCs in one Sound , save them as user
sounds and use it/them in that custom style ...

taki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good idea.. I did not think to create my own sound where i can combine 2 sounds and possibly layer the velocity...
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taki wrote:
I did not think to create my own sound

Although it's always my first thought as a sound designer , I think that creating a custom sound is always
one way when factory one does not fulfill our needs Very Happy

Rockitman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Use Upper Sounds Reply with quote

Not sure because I have not tried it yet. I am at work now.
Why can't you use just the Upper Sounds?
Do not split the keyboard. Use Full instead of Split mode.
Assign two Upper sounds to Bass One like Finger Bass, One Slap Bass.
Set the keyboard range to the lower two octaves for the two bass sounds.
You can then set your velocity for the Slap Bass only.
Finally you can still use the 3rd Upper sound assigned top the top key range to play chords or notes.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this is my simple approach in my initial post , but it has a huge disadvantage that was explained there
You have either to edit all Set Library sounds and assign a Bass nor to be limited at real time changing of one upper
sound browsing sound banks manually ... absolutely out of question when performing !

In my commercial packs where sound development occurs only in STS mode where all 3 upper sound timbres synthesize a
native instrument with its articulations using up to 50-60 OSC , it's a waste of time even to try it ,unlike the "Style" trick where
you change nothing ... just recall a STS Set Library sound and plays like a charm with preset Bass settings of style variations !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: