Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macbook Pro into SV1 audio inputs and Midi/Mainstage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richthepipe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Macbook Pro into SV1 audio inputs and Midi/Mainstage Reply with quote

Hi All,

I would like to use the midi out on my SV1 to connect into my Macbook Pro and control Mainstage so I can play some layered Synth sounds. I then plan to take the audio output from the Macbook and connect it into the 1/4 inch audio inputs on the SV1 which I believe will pass this through to the Balanced Outputs and then off to the Mixing Desk.

This would mean I can play both the SV1 and also through Mainstage on the Macbook Pro while outputting through just the 2 x Balanced Outputs.

Questions

Before I start spending lots of time trying to get this work, does this setup sound possible?

What effect does the SV1 volume have on the audio coming from the Macbook Pro? There will be times when I just want to hear the SV1 and some times when I just want to hear the feed from Mainstage?
I'm not sure how this will work?

Many thanks for your help.

Rich
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no obvious method of separately controlling the volume of the SV-1 and the external audio on the SV-1 itself, and the user manual makes no suggestion as to how the user might do this. I'm guessing the external audio level, relative to the SV-1s tone generator would be controlled by the external device itself, effectively setting the relative audio balance of the two devices in the mix, and the master volume would control both levels.

It might be easier to connect the audio out from the SV-1 to the audio in of Macbook Pro, and use Mainstage as a mixer, with the Macbook Pro's audio out going to the mixing desk.

rileykingmusic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may be of some help!

I actually run the setup you're talking about at every gig!

SOOO here goes.

'Before I start spending lots of time trying to get this work, does this setup sound possible?'

YES YES YES

What effect does the SV1 volume have on the audio coming from the Macbook Pro?

The volume knob on the SV1 will ONLY control the volume of the on-board sounds of the SV1 (Not Mainstage) BUT! There's a way! If you have an expression pedal (I use the KORG EXP-2) and plug it in to pedal jack 2, you can assign that midi signal of the pedal in mainstage to whatever parameter you want (VOLUME, swell, FX amt, etc.)

There will be times when I just want to hear the SV1 and some times when I just want to hear the feed from Mainstage?

There is a button on the SV1 just below the main sound selection (by the transpose button). It says 'LOCAL OFF'. Simply click that and it will mute all on-board sounds from the SV1. Really REALLY convenient feature.

Let me know if I can help anymore!

***EDIT*** By the way. All audio from your computer can be routed into the L&R INPUT jacks on the back of the SV1 by using a 3.5mm to Dual TRS 1/4" Y cable. Then the output jacks on the SV1 (1/4 & XLR) will output both onboard and mainstage (computer) sounds.
-rk
marcosfilho

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Stop sound from computer Reply with quote

Rileykingmusic,

When I turn off the function "local of" the computer sounds coming continue entering the SV1 and mixing with native sounds. Is there a way that does not happen without turning off the computer's volume?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: