Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg 4X Style Can't Play for Older Model
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Sorry, don't agree at all - why? If Korg did this then basically they might as well forget the 4X and just continue to update the 3X??? You use the Kronos as an analogy
Pete is absolutely right ... do not compare Kronos concept with any other models or brands !
Korg decided to keep the same compatibility with a model that maintains the same subsystem and OS platform and
actually all Kronos versions are identical and can share almost the same resources when updated to the same OS
version , an innovate concept by users perspective but surely Korg loses financial resources by not selling an entirely
new model as used to do up to now !
Therefore Pa4X as all brands follows the well known tradition we are familiar , new features and new bigger Rom
library and of course only backwards compatibility as usual.

So as Pete said if they decide all PaSeries models of same generation like Pa300/600/900/Le/4X to share the same
style resources then all previous models must have new OS updates to support Pa4X resources since all share the
same motherboard (with different board Nand Ram max. 1GB like Le/Pa4X ) and the same Linux based OS with
different features that can be applied to any of them , even the disk streaming feature of Pa4X , then stop producing
next new Pa flagship and just update OS with new features !
Seriously , Do you think that it can ever happen ? I don't think so ...

In my opinion as a programmer , Pa3XLe of same generation can be injected with Pa4X OS and it's streaming and
localized resources and except display drivers that are incompatible with screen hardware , can be a Pa4X clone !
But never confuse previous flagship Pa3X or 2X/Pa800 of some generation DSP application based OS , with Pa4X
and others since they're totally different from latest generation arrangers and can never be compatible in any level !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
EnSoNiQuEs~

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid points guys...but that's why I said...

"At the minimum, new PA4X STYLES should be available for loading into PA3x, etc."

I don't expect the entire OS of PA4X, PA5X, etc to be able to run on PA3x, PA2X...not same CPU, resources, memory, etc. Was using the Kronos methodology for illustration in terms of compatibility of styles.

Yes, new sounds in new flagship model, can't be expected to be ported down to old models.

In the day of object oriented programming, that code would not be THAT difficult to port to have the styles be compatible...or alteast being able to load them..and then with a user making some additional adjustments, assigning sounds that might have moved or changed, etc.

Again, I was strictly speaking in terms of styles. No need to go off the deep end about CPU, motherboards, resources...that is all understandable...I totally agree.

Basically, this forces PA3x users to get get PA4x styles exported in some way(midi) and manually convert them to PA3x format.

Why go through all that...use some third party style converters, etc....and not just shoot a patch into PA3x...so that PA3x/PA4x community can share styles!?!

I mean the latest release of PA3X bonusware styles mentions that some of those are already in PA4x. So, they were converted somehow.

Again, maybe my initial post was misunderstood...but we are talking Styles...not bells and whistles of the new PA4x being ported down...that PA3x may not have the CPU/memory resources to handle.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnSoNiQuEs~ wrote:
"At the minimum, new PA4X STYLES should be available for loading into PA3x, etc."

You still didn't get it ... Compatible PaSeries to Pa4X are backwards Pa3XLe/Pa900/Pa600/Pa300 and as last
Pa3X/Pa2X/Pa800 do not confuse that Pa3X was the previous flagship , then compatibility was discontinued !
On the other hand , there is a huge difference in factory libraries , effects ect , that even the exact same
styles of Pa3X are completely different with the newer enhanced library ! so what's the point of "compatibility" ?
In urgent case export a style as a midi file and use it everywhere you like ...
Pa3X styles (and bonus styles) were just imported in Pa4X and then developed with the new resources !
Anyway , for more than 20 years there is an order of things in PaSeries that won't change !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
EnSoNiQuEs~

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing to "get"....styles within a PA series should be loadable even as bare bones....with the understanding of making further tweaks due to factory libraries, effects, etc. incompatibilities as you mention.

"Anyway , for more than 20 years there is an order of things in PaSeries that won't change !"....just because things have been like that for 20 years...does not mean the future has to be so stale, and rigid...needs of musicians change and their spending habits as well.

Yes, there are workarounds to get the new styles by other means (or painstakingly exporting them and importing them by hand), but it should not be such a hassle to get new Korg styles!...that's all I'm saying.

Also, could have an option to buy the new PA4x styles for PA3x...I'm willing to pay if I can audition them and see which ones are usable in my musical context.

Those that want new screen, more memory, bigger HD, sample memory, new orange color, faster processing,..can go out and buy the next PA4x, PA5x for the better/faster hardware.
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i think that it can't be done as new style features on newer models don't exist on the older ones so even if they allow it to be loaded it will not play at all. you will still need external editing to make it "almost compatible" so it defeats the point as you can still do it with export smf-> edit on pc -> import on older model..
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the "guts" of any arranger is its styles, Korg would be insane to make all the styles from a new PA generation instantly available for older models - like it or not, they've gotta make $$$$ to survive.

Antony S wrote:
Anyway , for more than 20 years there is an order of things in PaSeries that won't change !

+1 Exactly!

But of course you are completely entitled to wish for anything on these forums.

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: