Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing function
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
korgpask

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Missing function Reply with quote

Functions that disappeared - missing
This text I started in order to know what features Korg been in previous models (Pa3X, Pa3X Le, Pa900, PA600) and now they are not. Missing, they are not available.
I write it again, because it is bad if Korg's flagship - the "best" model makes the poor a great and very important features and functions.
Write here the things that Korg forgot to mention to Pa4X. Well thank you.
Some bugs have been removed on the initiative - corrected for the Korg is due.
I will start off in the name Korg Pa4X many musicians in Slovakia and the Czech Republic.
Almost all I know and complain to me many things.

Korg Pa4X does not include:
1. AUDIO CHORD DETECT (not available - it does not) HARMONY
http://www.korgpa.sk/forums/Pa3X_Pa4X_harmony.jpg

2. ADVANCED VOCAL REMOVER:

picture Korg Pa3X: Preset 1-6 a Depth: 0-100
picture Korg Pa4X: ON/OFF

3. MASSIVE INTERNAL RAM:

Korg Pa3X: 1) 128/256 MB RAM or 256/512 MB
                       2) HDD Interface SATA 160GB optional size (GB-TB)
Korg pa4X: 1) RAM 400 megabytes
                       2) DISK KORG 1 gigabyte
                       3.) KORG HDD 500G SATA optional size (GB-TB)
They could change the path of RAM (400 MB) in DISK KORG (1GB!) What would have been excellent so far, such a change.

4. Backup STYLE DIRECT BANK - save

When backing Korg Pa4X option is missing. If I used DIRECT style bank so it is not possible to backup. It can not be saved to USER backup.SET

5. Locks Features: - Split Lock

6. General Controls: Interface

7. Mixer/Tuning: Volume/Pan

8. STYLE control

It is possible to deliver these functions ???
Create a system repair ??
The new operating system ???
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even as a non PA4x owner, i support your demand...

Lets just hope its not a resource thing that made them cut these features in favor of the new ones.
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korgpask, thanks for the time and effort that you put in on this feature comparison post.

I, for one, appreciate the detail and comprehensive nature of your post.

Let's hope that at least some of these missing functions get reinstated.

Best wishes,

Jon
thomasteele

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done nearly all the main faults don't forget user sounds both models the same ... missing pads in pa4x local 1 to 10
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
most of the "problems" compared here are not problems...
i will try to explain..
1)mp3 on the 3x was dsp based with extra hardware and didn't worked very well so there are 2 reasons that it has been removed.
2)to remove the depth i believe they used a more intelligent algo that finds the correct values automaticaly ,so no need to have presets or depth control.
3)ram is a way faster memory than flash.also the second one has limited read/write operations till it gets corrupted unlike ram..Its not just change the path in OPOS, wish it was that simple..
4)Direct styles are dynamicaly loaded from a .set folder ,so all changes are already saved into this .set folder when made.No need to save them in a new set as they are not hidden.You chose the folder which is either on ths internal HD , usb or sd card.All of them are visible through media function and usb.
5)That global button makes me think that this option IS available on the global settings (just changed path).about the rest of the images, most of them are either on different places or saved to MY SETTINGS button!
6)background color is a minor thing ,i am not sure about the slider operation mode though,the second should be fixed.
7)These settings shouldn't exist on 3x too as they are style settings and the next to them, performance ones.I think they could bring them back but you can still edit them individualy by pressing track select button to turn to style sounds and volumes!the hardware sliders can't be changed of course and i believe they are ok.
8)if you check the tab of this one on 3x it was "drum /fill" while on 4x it is "drum map" so fill properties must be in another place!if not this function should return..
Hope i helped a bit.
I know the 4x is a bit different from older models in its menu (options changed place) but i think they did it to make the options easier available to new and existing users.They are not stupid to remove useful functions (that work as they should).
I personally like the 4x way more than 3x and i wish i could buy my own one day soon as i have only played with a friends one that i had home for 2 weeks..
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one that I miss the most is having the drums and bass on the same group of sliders as the right-hand voices. Seems I am constantly having to change the slider mode one way or the other.
I don't need Pad volumes up there! Much prefer the arrangement used on 3X.
DonM
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Missing functions in Pa4x Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:
.. know the 4x is a bit different from older models in its menu (options changed place) but i think they did it to make the options easier available to new and existing users.They are not stupid to remove useful functions (that work as they should). .

Essential of missings functions for me would be missing "FillMode" and also "Fill Mode Lock" in "General Controls".
Also missing is the "StyleChange"-Function. Using the button "StyleChange" one could select a Performance (keyboard-setting) and the Style might change according to which Style was memorized onto the Performance. Without "STYLE CHANGE" only Keyboard track settings are changed!

As Style-Performance (Track-Volume/-Status etc) was memorized within Performance (Keyboard Setting) you had one additional Style-Performance (StyleSetting) per each Performance without having to memorize an additional style.

For me this is the most essential missing feature - especially in connection with the missing Auto-Select Sound as described next lines.

Punished here are users deeply concerned with existing features we already had for varied usage. Maybe missing options are easier for new users, but if not available for existing users that already had them, one can not understand the reason why to remove useful functions that works as they should.
Still missing since Pa3x: With parameter "Auto Sound"-Select checked (model Pa800), the latest selected Sound selected in a bank immediately was selected when pressing the bank button. This way, one could assign preferred Sounds to each control panel’s button and select it just with a single press.

With Pa4x you can do the same with Styles and Keyboard Sets but not with Sounds, as you could do with Pa800 to change sounds of maybe Drumsets or Bass with single button-press during styleplay.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Paolo@Korg
Korg Italy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Missing functions in Pa4x Reply with quote

Hi Siebenhirter,
siebenhirter wrote:
Also missing is the "StyleChange"-Function. Using the button "StyleChange" one could select a Performance (keyboard-setting) and the Style might change according to which Style was memorized onto the Performance. Without "STYLE CHANGE" only Keyboard track settings are changed!

What was done with Performances in Pa3X is now done with the SongBook. If you need quick access to a Keyboard Set + Style (or Song), now you select a SongBook Entry, maybe assigned to one of the SET LIST buttons.

What was originally a Performance has been separated into two specialized structures: the Keyboard Set for sounds to be assigned to the keyboard, and the SongBook for a snapshot of the current situation.

One of the advantages is that you can have several different Keyboard Sets and Style Settings (four and one of them per each SongBook Entry), without having to create different Performances and Styles. A single structure now hosts the various components.

Paolo
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paolo

I am actually looking forward to these changes - will take some getting used to but overall (having read most of the manual now and hoping to receive my own PA4X in the next 2 weeks) I think there have been some really intelligent changes made and re-positioning of various functions and options.

A lot of what is considered "missing" has merely changed as explained by musiccankill above.

If I really didn't want much to change, I'd buy and stay with the Tyros range Wink
(Hey, love your stuff Yamaha, just not for me)

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Paolo@Korg
Korg Italy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

karmathanever wrote:
I think there have been some really intelligent changes made and re-positioning of various functions and options.

The basic idea is that you start from a song. By choosing an entry from the SongBook, you choose a template for that song. Everything you need (the style, the sounds, the voice effects, the lyrics, the preferred tempo value and key) is there at the touch of a button. Older solutions were sort of a workaround, where you were hinting what you needed to play a song. Now, you choose that song.

Users accustomed to old practices would need a minimal time to adapt to this 'cleaner' workflow. Newer users will probably get it much quicker.

Paolo
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete I admire your optimism but you will be disappointed.
No matter what Paolo and others might say, I have played the Korgs since
the PA1X 15 years ago and the whole story about omitting the Performances and Style Change button is utter crap imho. I wrote a PM to Paolo this morning explaining my views in detail.
I had the PA4X in November as you may recall and this once one of the main reasons for returning it. Later on this week I will be getting yet another copy of the PA4X to give it another go but I get really tired of the "excuses " being proffered by Korg and Paolo in the sense that this is an improvement. it is NOT, definitely not. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the existing OS over the last 15 years and though they might have added things it is stupid to omit things that have proven their value time and time again. As mentioned new Korg owners might think it normal but all existing users have to re-adjust very firmly. The quality of the sounds and styles will (hopefully) be the saving grace of this new top arranger keyboard. If not it will be the last Korg that I have owned..............

regards
John Smies
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely prefer the new way things are done on the PA4X. But, I only used the Performances on earlier models to call up sounds (keysets) anyway.
There is basically no difference to me in the way it works, except everything seems more streamlined.
Keep an open mind John, I think you will come to appreciate it as well.
I had a little trouble at first because I expected things to be exactly as they were. They aren't, but in many ways they are better now.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John
I think in the past (except for old Korgies like me and others) the confusion between STS, Performances, Performances with STYLE, songbook etc has messed with peoples' heads.
Yes it is all OK once you have gotten used to it just like anything really.

I can't and won't argue with others or your opinions of course but I must admit that, unless the PA4X manual is totally misrepresenting the truth then I still stand by my excitement with this. I like nice easy-to-use readable "SET-LISTS" etc... plus an awesome control surface (PA3X ticks all the boxes - PA4X manual ticks all the boxes) I have used custom songbook lists for a long time - using performances to load sound sets is fine (like STS) but the STYLE link is really of little or no use to me (yeah, OK - it's personal).

I have watched Korg arrangers grow and change since the i3 - there are things that I miss from the i-series but they are so out-weighed by the PA series and their outstanding features.
Now, I understand we are being more specific here and OK, I'll wait until my PA4X arrives before saying much more but if it doesn't perform according to its specs, THEN I will be disappointed and also concerned about my future personal relationship with Korg arrangers (what the freakin' alternative would be is totally beyond me though Wink )

Anyhow, it is great to get all this feedback.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don I read you loud and clear. And I know for a fact that most live performers are fairly well served with the songbook item. That is not my point however. On the first PA models there was no such thing and the Performances took care of everything. I know that you yourself have always relied on the songbook idea just as many many others have relied first and foremost on the Performances + style change button. What no one seems to grasp here is that with that system you basically had 255 or 319 STS settings at your disposal, by retaining a certain style ( unlocking the style change) and choosing another performance. Many around the world have had the pleasure of using my programming which was centred on the Performances. As recent as a month ago someone in the UK fell back on the PA800 and ordered my resources. Forgive me for once blowing my own trumpet:

Hi John,

I am pleased to say that I was able to spend some time yesterday (and on Sunday) playing my PA800, using your brilliant resources. I am "thrilled to bits" and reckon it is the best donation I have ever spent.

First of all I listened to your performances and then moved across to the "favourite" styles that you have included. There is so much content in your resources that I am like a kid in a toy shop not knowing what to play with next. When I am able to go through them "calmly and logically" I am sure that I will be inspired to attempt songs that I have not attempted before. Some of the settings have also prompted me to learn how to make adjustments, such as sustain pedal calibration and split point registration, and to save these in global mode.

In addition to providing me with a whole host of of new sounds and styles, your resources have reminded me of the endless opportunities to "customise" the instrument .

I remember you from the "old" Irish Acts Korg forum which I used to frequent when I first got my PA80. Congratulations on your excellent achievement and sincere thanks for sharing the results of your hard work.

Best Wishes

Don

regards,
John

P.S. Pete, I know , nothing ventured nothing gained Smile Smile Smile
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you stored in a Performance, can also be stored in a SongBook entry, and you can have many MORE songbook entries (endless list) then Performances (limited number).
So there really is no downside there in my opinion, except from the fact that you'll need time to convert your performances to the songbook.
That is quite time consuming I guess, but it can be done.

What I truly hate (as I mentioned a few times already here at the forums), is that the PA3X and PA4X SongBooks are NOT compatible.
It's not automatically converted and there's also no tool to do that for you.
That was also the case from PA800 to PA3X and I hate to do all the programming all over again for a second time.
It keeps me from buying a PA4x for years to come I guess.

Play in style. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: