Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is pitch correction necessary?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Pitch Correction in Vocals Really Necessary?
No. You should be able to sing in pitch
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Yes. Always
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Only if the style of music demands it
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
A little bit can help but don't overuse it.
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 14

Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5 most important parameters of any sound/music is: 1. pitch, 2. timing, 3. dynamics, 4. timbre, 5. space. I think this is also the order of importance for people.

All of them can be created or modified artificially. Interesting that we can not only tolerate but even enjoy if we change the last three (using compressors, filters, reverbs). It’s usual and everybody likes it.

But the most important ones, the first two parameters are different from this point of view. We don’t want them to be artificially changed – or more precisely: we don’t want to know about it – because then we consider the result to be unnatural/fake.

This is true for all live players but we are particularly sensitive to human voice. Artificial voice (including auto-tune, vocoder, talk-box, computer-generated singing) is a part of certain genres where it is clear for the audience because everybody can see this or it is easily audible.

So, I think the problem is, when a live performer is using these corrections on stage inconspicuously and without informing the audience about it, pretending he/she can sing or play so good without anything. This is a lie, worse than playback.

(It's like paying for a concert ticket with fake money. Wink )
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good analogy it for me it is more like buying a concert ticket and going inside and seeing they are just going to play records.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ithought people did and called those things Raves! Wink
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
Good analogy it for me it is more like buying a concert ticket and going inside and seeing they are just going to play records.

Yes, but I wanted to say that the audience could also deceive the performers, for example by paying with not real money. They wouldn't like it either. Wink
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went right over my head but I gotcha now!
bloomes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what to say? if it sounds good, its good. if you know that the vocal is out of tune, pitch it.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloomes wrote:
what to say? if it sounds good, its good. if you know that the vocal is out of tune, pitch it.

Myself, I'd say re record it but that's just me. If the singer can't get it in tune, get another singer and gently suggest that the singer take singing lessons.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would certainly not suggest someone like Alicia Keys take singing lessons, yet she often pitches a bit low. In the hit song "No One" it's clearly audible. They left it because she prefers it to sound natural I guess. Personally I'd have nudged it just a little.

I do enjoy a natural performance but sometimes it's simply quicker to judge nudge the off note if the complete take has the right feel. Rerecording often doesn't nail the same feel and especially if you're punching in it's tricky to match the previous performance. I try to let each tool do what it does best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: