Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CC routings suck
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: CC routings suck Reply with quote

I've been mostly happy with the Kronos over the years, but I am just frustrated beyond belief trying to do the most basic controller functions that just about any other workstation can do. Per patch, reassign controllers like pedal to another controller on an external channel. I'm no slouch, I've done plenty of sysex over the years and have pushed many synths and workstations beyond their apparent limits, but I can't do this and despite reaching out to multiple forums including this one, nobody can help. I can't begin to express my level of frustration.
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: CC routings suck Reply with quote

LZ wrote:
I've been mostly happy with the Kronos over the years, but I am just frustrated beyond belief trying to do the most basic controller functions that just about any other workstation can do. Per patch, reassign controllers like pedal to another controller on an external channel. I'm no slouch, I've done plenty of sysex over the years and have pushed many synths and workstations beyond their apparent limits, but I can't do this and despite reaching out to multiple forums including this one, nobody can help. I can't begin to express my level of frustration.

I know you have worked this persistently and hit a wall with a limitation, that affects efficient performance with your gear. Maybe you can share what cc type gear is in your rig so folks can learn from you.

Thanks
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't checked this out enough but the answers are starting on page 1121 of the parameter guide.
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't make the foot pedal control a different CC that the global setting per patch.
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Yeah I had a similar problem with -Y joystick.
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of things like that. The whole global controller page should be assignable per combi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LZ wrote:
There are lots of things like that. The whole global controller page should be assignable per combi

Actually, it could be even better:
- Per combi, there should be a 'controller override' check box. If disabled, it will use the global controller page; otherwise all items can be changed in the controller page (in the combi itself).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LZ wrote:
You can't make the foot pedal control a different CC that the global setting per patch.

I may be wrong, but I think there is a solution to your issue here.

Couldn't you leave the foot pedal globally assigned to something like Knob 8, which itself is locally assignable to whatever MIDI CC you want. This way, for each program or combi, you would have the foot pedal react differently depending on what you assign that program/combi's Knob 8 too. An indirect, but flexible solution.

Foot pedal => Knob 8 => program or combi specific setting (like Volume, synth parameter, IFX, etc)

From page 1108 of the reference manual:

A note on MIDI CCs
Some of the assignments include MIDI CCs, which are
transmitted whenever the knob is moved. Note that the
MIDI CCs can still be received even if they are not
assigned to a physical controller.

RT Knobs 5‐8 and SW1/2 are special cases, since these
can themselves be assigned to different MIDI CCs. If
the footswitch is assigned to duplicate these controls, it
will also use their CC assignments.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, that might be the answer!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case the problem is that I prefer to use the foot pedal for expression in 99 percent of cases. I don't really feel like reprogramming ALL of my patches to have knob 7 on CC#11. That is why Michel's proposal would be best in my view too. However, my previously discussed Karma trick does work (with some caveats). Sorry, LZ, I haven't been at my Kronos yet and I'm in the middle of super dusty remodeling so I can't unpack it at home. I have a gig on Saturday though and I'll set an alarm in my phone to remember to make you a PCG.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, this is why I recommend a MIDI foot pedal unit like the Roland FC300. You can program that to do whatever you want, including the same pedal on multiple CCs/channels.

I'd never go back to a basic foot pedal! Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
Hi, this is why I recommend a MIDI foot pedal unit like the Roland FC300. You can program that to do whatever you want, including the same pedal on multiple CCs/channels.

I'd never go back to a basic foot pedal! Smile

That seems to make sense as solution. I take it (without this midi device) the cc/pedal limitation is related to having efficiency and flexibility for live performance with the Kronos.

I recall with my prior Roland gear ( Rd700GX1), the pedal assignments were easier to manage.

Last edited by GregC on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the pedal recommendation. I am using a modified Behringer FCB1010 (with the LG-FCB board) and I have almost infinite flexibility when it comes to assigning the pedals. The software utility makes designing custom setups a breeze.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More s**t I have to bring out. I could also use a midi solutions box. There are plenty of options that complicate my rig. Instead of using the POD, I could get the pedalboard option or buy a guitar amp. None of that changes the fact that that there is some VERY basic functionality missing that my keyboards from e 80s could do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: