Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginners Music Setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDubstepWarMachine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Beginners Music Setup Reply with quote

Hi guys (and girls), I'm new to the whole music world, at least digital music (I've been playing cello for 10+ years). I want to get into EDM production, specifically glitch hop and dubstep type music.

I have a windows laptop with Ableton Live 9 Standard, and I've been messing around with it, but I feel like I need controllers. I want them to compact enough to toss in a backpack and take with me anywhere I go, but also not very expensive (the total cost has to be under about $500). I'm thinking of a korg nanopad2 for drum pads, a novation launchkey mini as a 25 key keyboard and a launchpad mini as a pad controller. What do you guys think?

I want to get drum pads, a keyboard to use with synth plug-ins, and a pad controller (the launchpad). I was wondering if I can use a midi keyboard as a synth by mapping it to synth plug-ins...it seems like it should work, but then again I'm new to this stuff.

Also, I've got a few questions about controllers in general: Do you guys know of any cheap synths? I know the Arturia Microbrute is $300, and I've found it used for $200 from guitar center. Are there any others that go for cheaper? And are there any compact synths like the monotrons that offer a bit more control over the sound? I can't seem to find them on the internet, so probably not.

If you guys have any other suggestions on a controller setup, it'll be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading and have a nice day,
Ivan
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really help you much but I use a Nanopad 2 for drum tracks. I'm running a relatively expensive system though. My primary keyboard is a Kronos. I also don't know much about the styles of music that you want to get into. I'm a rock guy. I think the Arturia ones are probably what you want though.

Good Luck!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Akai MPC40 offers a pretty good, well-integrated control surface for Ableton Live, for launching audio clips and altering effects parameters although it might be stretching the backpack a bit, and does need extra 5V power. I designed a solution that uses an extra USB port to give sufficient extra power to run directly off a PC/Mac without external power. The Ableton Push controller is also a useful accessory for Ableton Live and runs off USB only, if desired, albeit by dimming the button and backlighting LEDs to conserve power. The functionality of these controllers has a degree of overlap but they could also be used together.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: