Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Balancing sound levels

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keybhoy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Balancing sound levels Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I tried to use the PA4X at a gig last night. At home my levels between accompaniment and right hand seemed ok. In the live situation through PA etc, the accomp volume seemed to be far too low and was a bit of a disaster to be honest. Is there any way of balancing and equalising these so as when I change from style to style the levels are the same and then only use the slider to control right hand for solos etc?

Thanks[/i]
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you using User Styles, or Factory Styles?

Keybhoy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for prompt reply. Theyre factory styles as I have no idea yet on my own user styles Shocked
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my PA4x the other day, and haven't been able to check it out just yet, though the factory styles used to be pretty balanced in terms of volume and all that, unless you move between completely unrelated genres?

Will check it out and see how it goes for me. There used to be a slider on the PA3x that you could adjust the balance between the solos and the accompaniment.

KorgPA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Program the BALANCE knob
Go to the Global > Controllers > Hand page.
In the Balance Control section, touch the Accompaniment/Song Volume
option to choose it. Now, the BALANCE knob will work as the Style (and
Song) volume only.
To go back to the default way of working, choose the Accompaniment/Song
– Keyboard Balance option.
Press the EXIT button to close the Global page and return to the main screen
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
I just got my PA4x the other day, and haven't been able to check it out just yet, though the factory styles used to be pretty balanced in terms of
volume and all that, unless you move between completely unrelated genres?

Will check it out and see how it goes for me. There used to be a slider on the PA3x that you could adjust the balance between the solos and the accompaniment.

Hi Sam,
Agree with you about the moving between completely different styles like moving from Ballad style to Rock style.

I think this subject is crucial for the live keyboard players, specially if they have to perform with different PA system in different situation.
Personally I am using now a headphone for all balancing setup of my User Styles, like Effects, Volume level between different Element styles.

And after all done I need to balance/adjust the Volume Level when moving from User Styles to Factory Styles.

I posted a topic about the same subject, and would appreciate it if you can take a look.
Thanks
Here is the link: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=103598
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BR,
I'm not exactly the most qualified person to comment on this, but all I can tell you is that the Headphone Out is designed to drive various low impedance consumer and professional headphones. You wouldn't want to hook up your headphone to line-out directly, even though the specifications might look close enough. If this were to be a professional studio mixing scenario, then you would ideally want to monitor the mix via studio speakers. In the case of arranger keyboards, I could go with either headphones or speakers...The fine tuning process is not remotely as critical when it comes to working with level and such on an arranger keyboard. A headphone would do just fine.

BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam,
Thanks for your input.
I am using a headphone (Shure SRH840) and I will see the result when I finish my setup on Pa4X and by testing/connecting it with a PA sound system on live situation.
Thanks again.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing with connecting the keyboard to a PA system. Since you tend to use the same PA system for the most part, you should pick a Style (from each category) that responds real well with that particular PA system and use that as a reference. Then, you can adjust other similar styles based on that. That's how I would go about doing this.

taki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents,

I play every week with the PA4X as a solo act. I also had the PA800 for the past 3-4 years playing as a solo act. This is my experience..

The mix at home will never be the same when playing through a larger PA system... Also, depending on te hall and amount of people you are playing for, the mix will always need tweaking for someone who is critical in mix.

Bottom line you need to be able to quickly adjust your volumes while you are playing and then save them too when you find an OK mix... Yes, this is annoying, especially when you are playing and singing etc. and then trying to save the style... but it is the only way until your styles become more honed in as time goes on.

Bottom line, learn how to adjust your volume on the fly while you play live... just takes practice...

Yes, the mix button between the accom and lead is a quick adjustment, but learn how to be ready to used the other accomp volume levers...

Good luck to all..
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own take on this is to set up the sound system in a venue and then sit out front with the Pa4x and make your mix decisions from here. This way you can make sure the mix is balanced, over and above that then its a simple case of adjusting the EQ on the Pa4x against the room or venue acoustics.

In fact I am due to perform my first gig with the Pa4x in a couple of weeks and will be taking it along with my PA to run these tests. After which it should be a case of honing it as I go.
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: