Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free Electribe Sampler Sample management OSX?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yann_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Free Electribe Sampler Sample management OSX? Reply with quote

Hey guys what are the free alternatives to the electribe sample management tool that cost 10€ via Itunes?

I'm just not feeling how the import samples on the electribe 2S works

would have been cool if you could import a whole map

Now I hope that Very Happy, with the management tools u can audition the samples also then write the file as a electribe file and it will be loaded like that.

I saw the electribe e2sedit java app but it didn't give any options just an open an all. file...

any1 who can clear things up Also if you got the itunes app

how good is it?

thnx in advance...
rkn

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing what I can to get Brakio's python-based editor working on Mac, but I'm running into a handfull of frustrating issues with python's TK gui.

If I can find some documentation on the how the .all file works, it might be easier to write up a native implementation.

I'm also super confused about how to actually use the sampler as a sampler.. I've been able to record from the audio in fine, but loading a full sample bank from the SD card wipes the built-in sounds, so I'm gathering that I need to set up my SD card to have a drum kit as well if I want to do anything percussive, and doing that entirely through the audio in seems... tedious at best?

It also seems like there isn't any Official software for managing this stuff? (I'd be happy to be proven wrong and shown The Way, of course)..
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Free Electribe Sampler Sample management OSX? Reply with quote

yann_ wrote:
Hey guys what are the free alternatives to the electribe sample management tool that cost 10€ via Itunes?

I'm just not feeling how the import samples on the electribe 2S works

would have been cool if you could import a whole map

Now I hope that Very Happy, with the management tools u can audition the samples also then write the file as a electribe file and it will be loaded like that.

I saw the electribe e2sedit java app but it didn't give any options just an open an all. file...

any1 who can clear things up Also if you got the itunes app

how good is it?

thnx in advance...

The one you speak of for MAC is done by spleen, a member here. It does what it is suppose to to do. you can bring in a lot of samples and then organize them in to a sample.all file. You have the option to load in both 16 bit and 24 bit samples. You can convert stereo samples to mono (huge help) and preview them. I have relied on this app for my ES2 uses for a several months and it has done it's job. Until Korg or a 3rd party company makes us a proper editor, for MAC users, the spleen editor is the best choice.

PC users have another option which is very exciting, the Brakio editor. Brakio is still continuing to develop his editor. I most recent update is getting to work on all windows versions from XP to now.

It actually is a sample editor where you can graphically edit the start, loop and end points as well as the same for slices. It also previews samples really fast! It's pretty smooth and intuitive to use. The two limitations at the moment aside from being only PC (we hear he'll develop a mac version) is that you can not convert stereo samples to mono and you can only use 16 bit samples. Both of these issues, I have been told, will be addressed soon.

For the time being, just get the MAC one you have heard about. Spleen mentioned that he has an update planned for his. FOr now, for MAC users, it does the job.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
bloomes

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mac editor by spleen is nice but a bit basic (it costs about 10$). i really miss some more options like loop points. hope that this will be updated.
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Free Electribe Sampler Sample management OSX? Reply with quote

yann_ wrote:

any1 who can clear things up...

thnx in advance...

The e2sedit java app writes over the file you open automatically when you make a change, so no saving necessary. Make sure you have a backup though in case of crash.
I use both editor/apps to get access to more parameters than either one offers individually.
rkn

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen spleen's in the App Store, and the sock drawer of spam-mudslinging around its announcement here. I don't mean to devolve into those aspects of the discussion, but I do have some cognitive dissonance about the app.

I also write software as a means of income, so I understand wanting to cover the development costs, but I do not understand why, in light of that, the Windows version is free, especially when there is already a free Windows editor in Brakio's python script.

Second, (and this is a more general App Store gripe), it really frustrates me when I'm forced to buy something without trying it, and then have no way to get a refund if the application doesn't meet my needs.

Quote:
The e2sedit java app writes over the file you open automatically when you make a change, so no saving necessary.

This sounds mildly horrific from a software design and usage perspective.. Shocked
_INTER_

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also write software as a means of income, so I understand wanting to cover the development costs, but I do not understand why, in light of that, the Windows version is free, especially when there is already a free Windows editor in Brakio's python script.

Well isn't it obvious? You can make money with the Mac app, because people are buying it and there's no incentive to create a free app, whereas on Windows, free apps with similar functionality would pop up immediately. Maybe they are not so nice to look at though huehue.

Quote:
This sounds mildly horrific from a software design and usage perspective.. Shocked

Then you shouldn't look at the code I'll point to anyway: https://github.com/daveschroeter/e2sedit Rolling Eyes
rkn

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me this says "I'd rather financially exploit a market inconsistency than participate in a community".. There is, in fact *already* a free Windows app that has similar functionality, so to sell it on Windows would be to compete with free, even though it would be the philosophically consistent thing to do.

Unfortunately, the incentive then is to create a free app, rather than give this random dude $10, which is more time consuming, and looked at from the larger community perspective, redundant work. But whatever. f*ck community if I can earn a few hundred bucks, right?

*edit* - Censored language provided by the bb2 software.
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have some cheese to go with all this whine?
Cheese and crackers!
rkn

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm just going to have to Comte terms with writing this myself
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkn wrote:
I've seen spleen's in the App Store, and the sock drawer of spam-mudslinging around its announcement here. I don't mean to devolve into those aspects of the discussion, but I do have some cognitive dissonance about the app.

Second, (and this is a more general App Store gripe), it really frustrates me when I'm forced to buy something without trying it, and then have no way to get a refund if the application doesn't meet my needs.

Quote:
The e2sedit java app writes over the file you open automatically when you make a change, so no saving necessary.

rkn wrote:
To me this says "I'd rather financially exploit a market inconsistency than participate in a community".. There is, in fact *already* a free Windows app that has similar functionality, so to sell it on Windows would be to compete with free, even though it would be the philosophically consistent thing to do.

Unfortunately, the incentive then is to create a free app, rather than give this random dude $10, which is more time consuming, and looked at from the larger community perspective, redundant work. But whatever. f*ck community if I can earn a few hundred bucks, right?

*edit* - Censored language provided by the bb2 software.

As one the those who exploded on Spleen in the first place over possibly exploiting our community rather than to contribute, I completely get your point, RKN.

I had chatted with Spleen many times regarding his app and how he chose to market it. It's important to note that the Windows version came out much later. While I didn't agree with it at the time, Spleen made a huge case for the cost and effort it took to make his app. The important part of his case (I didn't understand at the time) was that he and his programming partner built a custom framework/script instead of using something that relayed on an extended platform, such as Java, Python or MAX for Live.

Based on Spleens explanation I got the feeling that his app was built from the ground up. Based on my experience using it, it definitely feels that way; no install issues, no dll errors or asking for other files, no headaches. This app is self contained, as any good quality app should be.

At the time of it's release, Spleens app was one of two apps that provide a much needed service to ES2 users; get sample, test samples, convert samples to sample.all file...DONE! The Java version was free and had a few advanced features. However, it was problematic for me; relied too much on Java. That's alright, other users found this app to be a god send and we are glad another programmer was up to the challenge.

When Spleen released his free Windows version, It was a much smoother experience...it was a real app. To be honest if it was on a 30 day trial, I would have payed the $10. Again, it does what it says it does, and quite well for the time I needed it. I have used this app a lot for my ES2.

Brakios app is really the "newest kid on the block". Yeah it uses python, however, through constant commitment to make it better, Brakio has listen to the community regarding errors, performance issues and features...and has addressed them in that order. For a while it would only work on the newest version of Windows, now it works on every version from XP and up. Braikios app seems to be more inspired by and closely function like the microSampler editor and librarian. It's not just a sample.all file creator. With Brakios app, you can custom set your loop and sample points, edit ones you have created using the ES2 slice feature, reorganize your samples in the .All file, export samples to wave and bring them into a different .all file (huge help!) and even export every sample you have in your .All file into wave all at once!

As far as features go, Brakio has covered a lot of ground. The only limitations at the moment, and I do (emphasize "at the moment") is you can only work with 16 bit samples, you can not use 23 bit samples, there is no converter built in to take 24 bit samples to 16 bit and that you can not convert stereo samples to mono. Obviously these are 3 features we'd want in an ES2 editor (Spleens App does) and Brakio is very well aware of this. As such I have changed my game plan for feeding my ES2 to work with these limitations because, the experience in using Brakios editor is just that good. I have not touched the spleen editor since.

While Spleen's work has the advantage of being dual platform and stably providing the basic essentials to any MAC user with an ES2, Brakios strength really is in his support of his app and how quickly he has learned to resolve issues with the app.

RKN, if you plan to inter into the challenge, that will be awesome for the community. I would recommend looking at Brakios site and glithub for the source code and seeing where he is at: https://github.com/JonathanTaquet/Oe2sSLE
Maybe a collaboration would be best? You could help each other?

Since I do design, I have offered to help Brakio with developing GUI interface that mimics a virtual ES2, much in the same way the microSampler editor does.

Once the sampler part is completed, there is still interest in a pattern editor. Maybe as a community we can all pull together to create the first "community built" app for a Korg Product...thus the ES2/E2.

What say you RKN?
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
stahlwerk

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also on OSX (Snow Leopard) and have not been able to get any version working - but I guess If I upgraded OSX it should be possible to get the python version working, it does not seem to be that complicated. But I still need Snow Leopard for Logic 8, so I have no interest in upgrading.

I also have no interest in paying for a sample organizer - I don't normally do paid software, the last was logic, eight years ago... So I just dump a lot of samples on the SD card and import on device - works for me.
stahlwerk

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually managed to get the github source code running on my OSX after some initial problems installing pyaudio.

Question: Is it supposed to take so long loading an all sample file? It successfully loaded a file with just a handfull samples, but now it is working ~20 minuites to load the factory samples + some more samples... This should not be the case, right!? Does the PC version also take so long!?
Telengard

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMK wrote:
such as Java, Python

Just from a developer's point of view: Those two mentioned above are both programming languages (Not frameworks) and require a bit of knowledge, experience, and creativity to create a program with any complexity.
stahlwerk

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stahlwerk wrote:

Question: Is it supposed to take so long loading an all sample file? It successfully loaded a file with just a handfull samples, but now it is working ~20 minuites to load the factory samples + some more samples... This should not be the case, right!? Does the PC version also take so long!?

I guess that's one of the TK issues that rkn mentioned. I should learn to read the thread before posting redundant information...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: