Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

creating split / reatining split after power off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackvine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: creating split / reatining split after power off Reply with quote

Love the ms2000 I just got! I don't have the manual but I managed to modify a split patch to my liking. But the next time I powered up, the bottom half of the split was gone. What happened? Also, how do you assign different patches to each side of the split? Thanks.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You can download the manual from the korg website: http://i.korg.com/SupportPage.aspx?productid=478.

The split is a setting per program. So you need to save your program again after setting up the split, and it is only for that program.

Once the split is set up, you have 2 timbres available (one on the left and one the right of your split point). Use then the timbre select button to choose the timbre you want to edit and start tweaking the buttons.

Have fun.
blackvine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....I thought I did that. I set up a split and wrote it into memory. Now I cant even find the sound I had on the left side let alone how to put it there again. Manual is to broad. All I want to do is find the awesome sound and select it to put it on the left side. I still don't know who to select sounds for each side. Nor do I know where to find it in the manual. Not having fun at this point. But I find the ms2000 sounds pretty good.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. You can always recheck the settings of the program you think you've set up with a split, by looking at page 01 Common, A. Mode. It should mention split.
Remark also that the split key may be out of the range of your keyboard, depending on the octave setting that you've chosen. You can move the split key point or choose another octave setting.

Now dialing in a complete new timbre is indeed cumbersome. For that purpose, there is the copy utility on P26 utility, C Copy Timbre (p46 of the manual). Here is how it goes. First you find 2 programs that you like and want to combine. Choose another program that you don't like and want to overwrite with the combination of the 2 selected programs. Set this program up in split mode. Choose then timbre 1, and copy the timbre from 1 of the selected programs, it will end up on the left part of the keyboard. Switch over to timbre 2, repeat the copy operation, but now choose the other selected program. Try it out and if happy with it, write it.

Notes:
- if you did not write the combination before switching to another program, your edits are lost.
- you can also opt to combine the 2 selected programs in one of them instead of using a third one. In that case you only have to do 1 copy operation. but might use the swap utility to exchange left and right. I would advice initially to use a third one. Because you can then still listen and compare to the original selected programs.
- your original selected programs may already be set up with 2 timbres. In that case you'll need to choose which one of the timbres you will keep to combine it with the second program.

Bye.
blackvine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. You really know the ms2000. I did manage to make a better split point and it saved after power off. I had to press the write button twice, I have no idea why. Counter intuitive. I will try to digest your words on selecting patches for the left and right side. I am not looking forward to it, haha.

But my biggest concern right now is how to open the filter cut off on the right hand side patch. I want to do it "right now". I want to just grab a knob and get it done. When I try, it opens the left sides patch cutoff only. Bummer.

I find the ms2000 really has a great tone.
I watched a video where a guy replaced a key and all that's in there is one small board! I guess the ms is basically laptop with keys.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, if I understand it well in the manual, you need to press 3 times WRITE to get it really written: Once to go to the write page and allowing you to set the destination, second time to get the confirmation question and finally to really effectively write it.

Concerning the filter. Suppose the split is set up. First choose the second timbre (which is on the right side of the keyboard) using the Timbre select button. Now all edit knobs will apply changes to the second timbre. So you just grab the cutoff knob.

One note here, the physical position of the knob may not always be in line with the actual setting of the cutoff. Especially if you keep switching between both timbres using timbre select. For exambple
* timbre 1, you set the cutoff to 3 o'clock
* switch to timbre 2
* set cutoff to 9 o'clock
* switch back to timbre 1. Internally, timbre 1 cutoff is at position 3 o'clock as dialed in before, but the knob itself is still at 9 o'clock.
* Turn the knob now to 10 o'clock, the filter may jump now at once from the 3 o'clock setting to the new 10 o'clock. This jumpy behaviour can be particularly annoying when doing real time control during playing.
Unfortunately I'm not aware of the catch mode for the 2k knobs... E.g. on the mKXL and Radis you can choose jump or catch mode for knobs. This means that if the physical position of a knob does not correspond with the internal one, the knob has no effect till it is physically turned at the position that corresponds to the internal setting. It catches up then and you can smoothly change the value from there...

Concerning the board. It is a digital synthesizer mimicking an analog synth. That's why it is called a virtual analog or analog modelling synth. Implementation wise, it is indeed not much more than a microprocessor, DSP(s), some flash and memory chips and advanced embedded software... or a laptop with piano keys Smile So it indeed gives simple PCBs.

Bye
blackvine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. I really like the ms2000. It's got a thick tone for sure. The delay for being digital, has warmth to it. I also like the minimoog style basses I can pull out of it even though some people claim it's weak for bass. The square leads are great as well. To bad the action impedes my playing.
blackvine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a timbre select button anywhere on my ms2000
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euhm, above the knobs of the EG1 (filter)... Timbre Select section, the button is called Select + 2 leds (1 and 2).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: