Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

well....goodbye Electribe, hello Circuit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Korgenstein

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: well....goodbye Electribe, hello Circuit Reply with quote

Today I returned my Electribe (after 3 weeks) and got a Novation Circuit to replace it. With no song mode, only 4 pattern sets, and having to manually knob through patterns to call them the E2 just wasn't working for live applications. Not being able to clear and or edit individual bars of a pattern independently was also a huge deciding factor for me in returning it. My Electribe was never intended for studio use as it is clearly not usable in that function with no individual outs just to start, not to mention the toyish sound, but it was the live limitations that did me in. Not to mention Korg's apparent lack of f*&%s given in addressing user complaints/suggestions as people have mentioned on other threads here already. "Did Korg abandon the Electribe?"
The Circuit is much better for live and their new firmware update where you can now use your own samples, well, it was a no brainer...

But I still have my other Korg devices and software, so all good...see you on the other Korg forums!
Korg Monotron Delay (modded)
scum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, man, take a look at your new Circuit - It's ugly! Smile
DaniH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Korg Emx and Mc-909 but both the E2 and curcuit seem dull for live production.
sl23

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sl23 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
DR.DR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with OP. The lacking song mode is really a sore spot for me, as well. I guess you can try to chain patterns, but then you're in the wonderful "pattern by knob" bit. My work around was to only work within a pattern, and turn parts on and off. But if you've got a bass lick that needs a new kick, then you're gotta get one part off and one part on while still playing the bass. Song mode would fix that.

I think the frustration of many users is 1) these are expected features, and 2) they're easy fixes if they'd put an engineer on it.
jbvdb493

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I get the frustrations voiced by many here I fail to see how 2 synth voices, no matter how great they are, can replace the electribe.
1_inch_punch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"While I get the frustrations voiced by many here I fail to see how 2 synth voices, no matter how great they are, can replace the electribe."

I am with you there.

I know plenty people threw away a guitar after three weeks in favour of a harmonica.

They spent the next year playing Row Row Row your boat... and very little else.

I guess it's to do with the music you make but dont tell me foregoing the groove templates for each individual track on my es2 - to lay my drums jammed to a grid... is a good idea. They are part of me now and I am not going to give them up at this stage

BTW - I have both Circuit and ES2 and I like them equally - but this wave of excitement for 4 samples, I just don't get it.
thebiglebowski

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.DR wrote:
Agree with OP. The lacking song mode is really a sore spot for me, as well.

Ableton Live/WAV export is the new song mode. I personally like the idea of starting and shaping ideas on a hardware groovebox which is more immediate than a computer, and then finishing it later in a DAW. Best of both worlds.
colulizard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

DR.DR wrote:

Ableton Live/WAV export is the new song mode. I personally like the idea of starting and shaping ideas on a hardware groovebox which is more immediate than a computer, and then finishing it later in a DAW. Best of both worlds.

Not trolling, but I know it will seem like it... so apologies in advance.

What is the difference between song mode on the Electribe and having it as a backing track, and pre-recording a performance into Live or similar and playing that as a backing track?

I guess if you have patterns mapped out, you can "play" the electribe live by muting/ unmuting parts, experiement with loops etc. which seems to make the electribe more a live tool.

Personally i'm not using it live - i'm using the sampler as a drum machine and recording that direct into the PC. So it makes no odds to me.
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Circuit 2 will support 8-part drums, more synths.

Maybe they'll give it an audio input, and a screen.

Maybe they'll make it out of metal.

Maybe it will be called the Korg electribe 2.
DR.DR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colulizard wrote:
Quote:

DR.DR wrote:

Not trolling, but I know it will seem like it... so apologies in advance.

What is the difference between song mode on the Electribe and having it as a backing track, and pre-recording a performance into Live or similar and playing that as a backing track?

I guess if you have patterns mapped out, you can "play" the electribe live by muting/ unmuting parts, experiement with loops etc. which seems to make the electribe more a live tool.

Personally i'm not using it live - i'm using the sampler as a drum machine and recording that direct into the PC. So it makes no odds to me.

Re: backing tracks - The desire to stay outside of the DAW entirely. It is a 400 dollar box and does a lot of stuff really well. But it would be over-the-top, end-of-discussion awesome with just a bit of love on song mode and IMHO the sequencer or a step record mode. For what it is worth - and at the cajoling of some other forum members - I'm largely trying to work within the confines of the box - mostly turning parts on and off within a pattern. There are a lot of merits to this - most notably that it really is live and it is musical and flexible. But say you've got an A/B structure and you're playing (another instrument) live with it - I can get a hand over to build parts (turn stuff on) - but it gets really complicated if I've also got to switch out the kick or hat track (simultaneous on/off.) Song mode addresses that for that scenario. With the step sequencer - I'd just like it to be easier to get ghosts and accents without menu diving. I can get the accents by live recording over.
jpeg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly korg should or merged the grey and black into one unit and added song mode and wave form editing

there is no reason they could not have produced such a unit int 2016; they held back making these things because it means they cant sell future items.
captain johnson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted3000 wrote:
Maybe the Circuit 2 will support 8-part drums, more synths.

Maybe they'll give it an audio input, and a screen.

Maybe they'll make it out of metal.

Maybe it will be called the Korg electribe 2.

Muhahaha! awesome!
circuitghost

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Circuit's not so much about the feature, but rather the way it's designed. I think it's of little relevance what it can and can't do, compared to the Electribe Sampler. It's the way you play it and work with it that makes it different, not the number (or lack thereof) of voices and features.

Ironically, it's the other way around with the Electribes. They're quite fleshed out when it comes to features, but it's the way you play them and work them that stands in their way.
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like pizza!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: