Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Understanding "Direct Disk" access
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Understanding "Direct Disk" access Reply with quote

Hi guys

If you understand the “Direct Styles and Keyboard-sets” feature then don’t read any more.

There are some owners that are having trouble understanding the concept and so I thought I’d try and help.

Let’s talk about styles first:-
First thing to understand is that there are 624 FAVORITE/USER style locations available internally inside the PA4X – (these do not include the FACTORY styles).
So imagine you have 1200 FAVORITE/USER styles that you want to have instantly useable/playable at any time. This is where the “Direct Styles” saves your day.
The simple approach would be to load the first 600 of your user styles into the PA4X FAVORITE/USER style locations.
Now save that as a SET on disk – doesn’t matter what disk – i.e. HD internal, SDcard, USB drive – just as long as you remember where it is – let’s refer to that SET as “FIRST.SET”
Next, load the remaining 600 of your user styles into the PA4X FAVORITE/USER style locations.
Now save that as a SET on disk – doesn’t matter what disk – i.e. HD internal, SDcard, USB drive – just as long as you remember where it is – let’s refer to that SET as “SECOND.SET”
This is where you decide “which “600” styles do I want to have in the PA4X internal style locations – let’s decide on “FIRST.SET” – so load in “FIRST.SET”
You can now see and play all these as normal.
To instantly have access to the “SECOND.SET” styles we need to make that file our Direct Preference SET.
To do this, in style play mode just go into style select page (as if you were going to change a style)
In the top-right drop-down page menu, select “Direct Preferences”
You will then need to locate your “SECOND.SET” on the disk to which you saved it.
Back in the STYLE select page you will be able to access ALL the "SECOND.SET" FAVORITE/USER styles just like the internal ones by using the "Direct" tab.
You may have several SETs on disk with styles you want to instantly play - you then need to unselect the current Direct "SET" and select a new one in the Direct Preferences menu
A couple of things to note:-
Whenever you save a SET you will only be saving internal FAVORITE/USER style banks.
Only the internal sounds (factory, USER, samples etc) are used by ALL the styles (internal/direct/factory).

This is a fantastic feature.
This worked brilliantly for me in this example:-
I wanted to access ALL my FAVORITE/USER banks of styles and PERFORMANCES from my PA3X (in my last “save”) so all I had to do was make that SET my direct access preference. It also converted my PA3X PERFORMANCES into direct Keyboard-Sets.

As a footnote – this feature works for PA4X “KEYBOARD-SETs” in exactly the same way. So the Direct access preference SET can contain FAVORITE/USER styles and KEYBOARD-SETs.

Hope this helps.
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by karmathanever on Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Laughing
maybe make sticky topic for while?
Fl Studio 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Performers Heaven
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Nemik
Thanks - I'll do that.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is purely intended as a help topic.

Please do not hesitate to reply here if you require any assistance with setting up "Direct disk" sets.

Thanks
Pete Very Happy
Bakhat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: User direct Reply with quote

thanks Pete for your help and support,

I am still unsure how to use this new option " used direct" I have dowloaded my favorate set that I have made up from several sets to user so all good. I loaded another set to user direct as explainded on the manual but when I sellect a peformace from it say strings the sound then is not the same as per the set, the sound I think is pulling from the user bank and gives a deffernt instrument than that of strings

Sorry I am not yet up to sped with this keyboard as Iam only a biginer playing at home

Many thanks again
Khal
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Khal

It seems like you have done everything correctly

The thing to remember is that you only have one set of internal sounds so if your Direct "SET" refers to sounds that are not currently in the PA4X you will not hear them (or they will possibly be wrong.
The "Direct" SET will only enable access to STYLEs and KEYBOARD-SETs within it and these will use PA4X internal SOUNDs banks (not sounds from the Direct SET)

Hope I am making sense here.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
Bakhat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Pete, exactly what I thought! Embarassed
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:

The "Direct" SET will only enable access to STYLEs and KEYBOARD-SETs within it and these will use PA4X internal SOUNDs banks (not sounds from the Direct SET)

Hope I am making sense here.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy

Agree.
This is exactly the conclusion that I got after spending hours by trying and experiencing different things about the "DIRECT/USER" contrary to what I was expecting.
Thanks Pete for clarification of this feature.
dai phan

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Understanding "Direct Disk" access Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Hi guys

If you understand the “Direct Styles and Keyboard-sets” feature then don’t read any more.

There are some owners that are having trouble understanding the concept and so I thought I’d try and help.

First thing to understand is that there are 624 FAVORITE/USER style locations available internally inside the PA4X – (these do not include the FACTORY styles).
So imagine you have 1200 FAVORITE/USER styles that you want to have instantly useable/playable at any time. This is where the “Direct Styles” saves your day.
The simple approach would be to load the first 600 of your user styles into the PA4X FAVORITE/USER style locations.
Now save that as a SET on disk – doesn’t matter what disk – i.e. HD internal, SDcard, USB drive – just as long as you remember where it is – let’s refer to that SET as “FIRST.SET”
Next, load the remaining 600 of your user styles into the PA4X FAVORITE/USER style locations.
Now save that as a SET on disk – doesn’t matter what disk – i.e. HD internal, SDcard, USB drive – just as long as you remember where it is – let’s refer to that SET as “SECOND.SET”
This is where you decide “which “600” styles do I want to have in the PA4X internal style locations – let’s decide on “FIRST.SET” – so load in “FIRST.SET”
To instantly have access to the “SECOND.SET” styles we need to make that file our Direct Preference SET.
To do this, in style play mode just go into style select page (as if you were going to change a style)
You will then need to locate your “SECOND.SET” on the disk to which you saved it.
Back in the STYLE select page you will be able to access ALL the "SECOND.SET" FAVORITE/USER styles just like the internal ones by using the "Direct" tab.
You may have several SETs on disk with styles you want to instantly play - you then need to unselect the current Direct "SET" and select a new one in the Direct Preferences menu
Whenever you save a SET you will only be saving internal FAVORITE/USER style banks.
Only the internal sounds (factory, USER, samples etc) are used by ALL the styles (internal/direct/factory).

I wanted to access ALL my FAVORITE/USER banks of styles and PERFORMANCES from my PA3X (in my last “save”) so all I had to do was make that SET my direct access preference. It also converted my PA3X PERFORMANCES into direct Keyboard-Sets.

As a footnote – this feature works for PA4X “KEYBOARD-SETs” in exactly the same way. So the Direct access preference SET can contain FAVORITE/USER styles and KEYBOARD-SETs.

Hope this helps.

Hello

I am the Tyros user and trying to give Korg a chance. This is what I have and please tell me if what I plan to do is correct. I have 8000 styles on my USB stick and it is not possible to load them all since there are only 624 slots so....

1. Create 13 STYLE SETS (600 styles in each set) and save it in the USB drive. SET 1, SET 2, SET 3.... SET 13.

2. Load EACH SET into the User/Favorite slots (624 slots).

3. Select and play the styles as usual.

Now if I want to load SET 2, then I have to delete all 600 styles previously loaded then load SET 2.

Am I understanding this correctly? I read in the manual that you can access the styles from USB but only 114 styles allowable? Thank you so much! Dai
dai phan

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Understanding "Direct Disk" access Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Hi guys

Hope this helps.

So you load the first set of 600 to use and "direct preference" the second set of 600. If you want to use the third set then "direct preference" to the third set. So every time you have 600 styles stored internally and 600 styles on stand by. Correct?
bud2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I maybe a bit thick, but when you have loaded all your Favourites and Users into the Direct slots, can you then SAVe them all as ONE Set ?. I can only see how to save each section i.e. Favourites 1, then Favourites 2. How do you save ALL of them to one SET. Many thanks in advance.
Bill
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill

The purpose of the "DIRECT" style access is to give you the ability to instantly use styles from an external disk WITHOUT having to load them into internal USER banks.
You can only "save" internal USER banks as a SET - DIRECT disk is a separate entity and really the styles are already externally on disk ("saved").

This was a feature several had asked for (incl me) - and now they've got it - it is great!!!!

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
bud2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete, OK I get that so how do you save ALL of the Favorites and User in the USER section to make one Direct SET. I presume this is possible ?
Thanks for taking the time to help me, you can guess I am new to this. Wink
Bill
Arnold

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete for going through this topic, as a new PA4X user found it very helpful.

Regards Arnie
bud2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a shame it's nowhere as easy as Yamaha. 😏
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: