Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Understanding "Direct Disk" access
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExTyrosFan

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Understanding "Direct Disk" access Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Hi guys

If you understand the “Direct Styles and Keyboard-sets” feature then don’t read any more.

There are some owners that are having trouble understanding the concept and so I thought I’d try and help.

Let’s talk about styles first:-
First thing to understand is that there are 624 FAVORITE/USER style locations available internally inside the PA4X – (these do not include the FACTORY styles).
So imagine you have 1200 FAVORITE/USER styles that you want to have instantly useable/playable at any time. This is where the “Direct Styles” saves your day.
The simple approach would be to load the first 600 of your user styles into the PA4X FAVORITE/USER style locations.
Now save that as a SET on disk – doesn’t matter what disk – i.e. HD internal, SDcard, USB drive – just as long as you remember where it is – let’s refer to that SET as “FIRST.SET”
Next, load the remaining 600 of your user styles into the PA4X FAVORITE/USER style locations.
Now save that as a SET on disk – doesn’t matter what disk – i.e. HD internal, SDcard, USB drive – just as long as you remember where it is – let’s refer to that SET as “SECOND.SET”
This is where you decide “which “600” styles do I want to have in the PA4X internal style locations – let’s decide on “FIRST.SET” – so load in “FIRST.SET”
You can now see and play all these as normal.
To instantly have access to the “SECOND.SET” styles we need to make that file our Direct Preference SET.
To do this, in style play mode just go into style select page (as if you were going to change a style)
In the top-right drop-down page menu, select “Direct Preferences”
You will then need to locate your “SECOND.SET” on the disk to which you saved it.
Back in the STYLE select page you will be able to access ALL the "SECOND.SET" FAVORITE/USER styles just like the internal ones by using the "Direct" tab.
You may have several SETs on disk with styles you want to instantly play - you then need to unselect the current Direct "SET" and select a new one in the Direct Preferences menu
A couple of things to note:-
Whenever you save a SET you will only be saving internal FAVORITE/USER style banks.
Only the internal sounds (factory, USER, samples etc) are used by ALL the styles (internal/direct/factory).

This is a fantastic feature.
This worked brilliantly for me in this example:-
I wanted to access ALL my FAVORITE/USER banks of styles and PERFORMANCES from my PA3X (in my last “save”) so all I had to do was make that SET my direct access preference. It also converted my PA3X PERFORMANCES into direct Keyboard-Sets.

As a footnote – this feature works for PA4X “KEYBOARD-SETs” in exactly the same way. So the Direct access preference SET can contain FAVORITE/USER styles and KEYBOARD-SETs.

Hope this helps.

Hi there, I am still a noobie on the PA4X. To be able to get 600 styles under one SET folder, what do the file names need to be within the SET folder?
Currently I see the file names follow the available slots IE:

USER01.STY
USER02...
USER03...
FAVORITE01 Etc.

Each file only contains a few styles but not 600. (At least the ones I have been downloading from various sites.

What should the files look like when uploading?
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, back up your PA4X and then use it to load and build a set of styles that you want as a DIRECT set.
So....
1. Backup your currently loaded styles and sounds etc in MEDIA mode ("save all") - (e.g. save it named as MYSET)
2. Load in all the additional styles you want into FAV/USER banks - save it to disk as a new set (e.g. NEWDIRECTSET).
3. Now reload your normal set (MYSET just previously backed up) to get your PA4X "back to normal"
4. Next, set up your new set (NEWDIRECTSET) as as direct access set - the PA4X will make any necessary changes when you do this and you will end up seeing all those "new" styles under the "Direct" tab when you select a style. Note: the NEWDIRECTSET must be available to the PA4X - so if NEWDIRECTSET is on a USB thumb drive, that drive must be connected (inserted) for the direct access feature to work.

Hope this helps.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Direct access folder Reply with quote

Very informative. Need more tutorials like this.[/b]
ExTyrosFan

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Basically, back up your PA4X and then use it to load and build a set of styles that you want as a DIRECT set.
So....
1. Backup your currently loaded styles and sounds etc in MEDIA mode ("save all") - (e.g. save it named as MYSET)
2. Load in all the additional styles you want into FAV/USER banks - save it to disk as a new set (e.g. NEWDIRECTSET).
3. Now reload your normal set (MYSET just previously backed up) to get your PA4X "back to normal"
4. Next, set up your new set (NEWDIRECTSET) as as direct access set - the PA4X will make any necessary changes when you do this and you will end up seeing all those "new" styles under the "Direct" tab when you select a style. Note: the NEWDIRECTSET must be available to the PA4X - so if NEWDIRECTSET is on a USB thumb drive, that drive must be connected (inserted) for the direct access feature to work.

Hope this helps.

Pete Very Happy

Thanks Pete,

I will give this a go and let you know if I was successful.
ExTyrosFan

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
So....

Hope this helps.

Pete Very Happy

Hey Pete,
I have few more questions.

1. What software is used to merge different styles into on .STY file under a .SET folder?
2. Also is 48 styles per file IE USER01.STY the maximum number of styles and;
3. is there a max file size or is it a total max of all files together?
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ExTF

you wrote:
1. What software is used to merge different styles into on .STY file under a .SET folder?
2. Also is 48 styles per file IE USER01.STY the maximum number of styles and;
3. is there a max file size or is it a total max of all files together?

1. I do all mine on board the PA4X (manual loading/moving etc...) - there is a product called PAMANAGER which should do this - never used it but quite a few members here do use it. It costs about US$170. I believe the Mac version is not too reliable but may have been improved by now.
See: https://www.korgpamanager.com
2. Yes for that bank - so STYLE01 + STYLE02 + STYLE03 + FAVORITE01-10 give you a total of 624 style locations - remember you will be using a "SET" for your direct access.
3. There will be a max but no idea what it is - I think you would be having to load huge custom styles to blow the space (not aware of anyone ever having this problem so I think you will be fine. In the old i30 days, there was a maximum size for a style (or a style could take up more than one style location) - but those days are long gone!!!

Hope this helps

Pete Very Happy
ExTyrosFan

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Hey ExTF

1. I do all mine on board the PA4X (manual loading/moving etc...) - there is a product called PAMANAGER which should do this - never used it but quite a few members here do use it. It costs about US$170. I believe the Mac version is not too reliable but may have been improved by now.
See: https://www.korgpamanager.com
2. Yes for that bank - so STYLE01 + STYLE02 + STYLE03 + FAVORITE01-10 give you a total of 624 style locations - remember you will be using a "SET" for your direct access.
3. There will be a max but no idea what it is - I think you would be having to load huge custom styles to blow the space (not aware of anyone ever having this problem so I think you will be fine. In the old i30 days, there was a maximum size for a style (or a style could take up more than one style location) - but those days are long gone!!!

Hope this helps

Pete Very Happy

Oh for sure - thanks very much for this info. I did not know all this can be done on the keyboard and have been struggling to get my PC to open these files.

Will for sure give this a go tonight when I get home.
Rosco_Australia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,
Can you advise the detail of how you set up your new set as a direct access set. Point 4 in your note.
I am missing something.
Regards, Ross
Rosco_Australia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete, I've worked it out. Watched a YOUTUBE video in German and read between the lines.
Another question.
I can't see the Direct Preferences in the top right drop down menu?

To instantly have access to the “SECOND.SET” styles we need to make that file our Direct Preference SET.
To do this, in style play mode just go into style select page (as if you were going to change a style)
You will then need to locate your “SECOND.SET” on the disk to which you saved it.
Back in the STYLE select page you will be able to access ALL the "SECOND.SET" FAVORITE/USER styles just like the internal ones by using the "Direct" tab.
You may have several SETs on disk with styles you want to instantly play - you then need to unselect the current Direct "SET" and select a new one in the Direct Preferences menu
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosco wrote:

Hey Rosco
Not sure where the above quote comes from (PA4X???) but the procedure is fully detailed in the latest PA4X user manual from page 912 onwards.
You select a DIRECT set as described in GLOBAL:Mode Preferences and it will become available when selecting styles/songbook etc. To change to a different direct set you need to "Deselect the Direct Folder" page 914 and then select a new one.

Hope I've understood your question.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
Rosco_Australia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up and running with the DIRECT, however...
When I run BAUM Songbook+ it's asking whether I wan't to access the internal or external songbook file. If I pull out the USB the problem is solved.
With thh USB plugged in, the songbook file is duplicated.
I assume I have to save , except the songbook file, when I create a direct file on the USB??
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rosco,

I am using Baum Songbook+ and have not had that problem. When you talk about ‘USB’ , please be careful to distinguish whether you mean a USB cable (eg for iPad connection) or whether you mean a USB flash drive, otherwise it is all a bit confusing.

Are you connecting iPad via camera connection kit and to USB port on Pa4X, or using Bluetooth (eg via Yamaha Bluetooth midi device, which is excellent by the way)??

If you are using a USB port connection for the iPad, try a different port on Pa4X (eg rear) to that which you might be using for DIRECT USB flash drive - (but if you are using DIRECT from the Korg disk, it gets a bit complicated).

Phil
Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: you said “it’s asking whether I want to access the.... “.

Which is asking - Pa4X or the Baum Songbook+ app? Sorry if this sounds pedantic, just having difficulty understanding what is happening.
Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
Rosco_Australia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,
Using USB stick to save Direct .
Connecting via Yamaha BT01, which works great.
I just see duplicate files showing in the songbook file.
if I pull out the USB stick and re-start the PA4x, it works fine.

Regards, Ross
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you select a DIRECT set the SONGBOOK database will merge with the internal SONGBOOK
So if your "DIRECT" set has the same SONGBOOK entries as the internal SONGBOOK you will see duplicates.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: