Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

vibrato and or filter mod from mod wheel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackvine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: vibrato and or filter mod from mod wheel Reply with quote

What is the easiest way to introduce pitch or filter vibrato/modulation from the mod wheel? Isn't lfo 2 dedicated to the mod wheel? What virtual patch should I set up? Right now, when I attempt this I get modulation "right now" (on all the time) without even touching the wheel.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The mK(XL)(+) have a default built-in route where LFO2 modulates the pitch. The modulation depth is controlled by the 'vibrato intensity' parameter. In fact it corresponds to the max modulation of the pitch by LFO2 when the mod wheel is moved up completey.
If the wheel is down, there is no pitch modulation applied (at least not by this default route). If the 'vibrato intensity' parameter is put to 0, the position of the modwheel has no effect on the pitch modulation. In fact this default route is disabled then. This allows you to use the modwheel to control a totally different parameter, by setting up a virtual patch, without modulating the pitch at the same time.

So if you want your dedicated modulation using the mod wheel, first turn the vibrato intensity down to 0 and set up one or more virtual patches. Choose the mod wheel as source and cutoff or pitch as destination. Turn up the modulation intensity to control the max modulation when the mod wheel is moved up completely. Note that in this case, you control completely the modulation yourself by moving the wheel. What I mean by that, is that if you move the wheel, the pitch or cutoff moves as well, but stays there, if you stop moving the wheel. This is a bit different than how it works for the default route, where the LFO modulates the pitch, but the position of the wheel controls the depth of the modulation.

On the original mK it stops here. On the XL(+), routes similar to the default one can be set up, by combining 2 virtual patches. E.g. the first patch is set up in such a way that LFO1 controls the cutoff of the filter. The second patch is set up in such a way the the mod wheel controls the modulation intensity value of the first patch. (The XL(+) has a more extended destination list for the virtual patches...)

If you get modulation right now, even if the wheel is turned down, then it is inherently set up in your program. It is a matter of figuring out how it is setup and disable/modify the program to get rid of this always-right-now modulation. Start to check existing virtual patches, some of the effect have also modulation, and so on...

Have fun.
blackvine

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a ms2000. Does this apply? I just want some simple vibrato and or filter cutoff mod. "Right now" It should be easy like it is on my p5 and mini D.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The story about the default route for LFO2 applies, yes.

The story about the virtual patches not completely, because an MS2k does not support selecting the mod wheel as a source for a virtual patch. So the mod wheel can only control the intensity of the default route where modulation is applied by LFO2 on the pitch.

But, you can still use an EG or LFO as source to modulate pitch and/or cutoff using one of the 4 virtual patches. And as the MS2k has sufficient knobs, you can immediately control the intensity of the virtual patch by dialing the corresponding knob during a performance instead of the mod wheel. See the virtual patch section on the front panel.

You may also record a modulation sequence first, where you manually dial a knob and keep replaying that.

Bye
blackvine

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I will have a go at it when I get the chance. To bad this computer isn't near the synth. I hope I can get it going somehow. It should be simple.....just do it right now. But it's not. Nothing like wanting vibrato right now and having to jump through hoops.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I understand your frustration, but please avoid starting a new thread for each new thought you have about it.
I partially gave an answer before, but overlooked one possibility.

Try this:
* Check in the global parameters, Page03 MIDI, parameter E, MIDI2: make sure it set to CC#01
* In the synth parameters, Page04 Pitch, parameter C, vibrato intensity: put it to 0. This disables the modulation of the pitch by LFO2, when moving the modwheel
* Set up one or more virtual patches using the front panel buttons and knobs in the virtual patch section
- choose as source MIDI2 (which is the mod wheel - as set up in the global parameters)
- choose a destination (pitch or cutoff)
- dial up some intensity
* Play and move the mod wheel

By the way, a virtual patch set up like this, using pitch as destination, isn't that what the pitch bend wheel does?

Good luck.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes. If it works, don't forget to save your program and the virtual patches are a per program setting unfortunately.

It may sound counter intuitive to you, but it is just a complex machine which is very flexible and it makes sense once you get the structure.
blackvine

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why cant I just select lfo 2 and go to virtual patch and use lfo 2 as a source and cutoff or pitch as a destination to get simple vibrato? Also, going to a preset that already has what I want as far as vibrato and then trying to change it to something else in the virtual patch section does nothing. Wow!
blackvine

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still cant find a way to get to a note triggering page so that the attacks are not cut off on each new note. I just want to play NOW because this thing sounds amazing. If only the action was better. I want to try it midied to a dx7 two because of the great action. But I am sure something in the korg will prevent that from happening.
blackvine

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dial up some intensity? How? I am about to quit.
blackvine

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody in one sentence describe how to get vibrato going right now? I mean, after I read how, it works 100% right now. Why cant I select lfo 2 as a source and pitch or cutoff as destination and have it work? It should work.
blackvine

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still nothing. When I use a program that has filter cutoff or vibrato already in the patch and then try to use anything in the virtual patch section it doesn't respond. None of what had been said so far works. Nothing. The manual isn't much help. I just want to use the mod wheel...that's all. I guess I will just play my mini D. My God.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dialing up intensity: there is one rotary knob per virtual patch on the board itself. See the virtual patch section on the board.

Note that these are not motorized knobs. Meaning, their position may be bogus vs the effectively used setting after changing the program. To resolve this, just turn a knob a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: