Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Separate sliders recording

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thepoliskey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Separate sliders recording Reply with quote

Hi,

In sequencer I splited drumtrack keyboard zones to 4 different timbres so I could turn separately kick, snare etc. I set those timbres to one midi channel. While recording I fade in kick first, then snare and so on. But when playing back all sliders behave the same (mapping kick's slider movements). What I'm doing wrong and how to do this the right way, help please?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Separate sliders recording Reply with quote

Thepoliskey wrote:
Hi,

In sequencer I splited drumtrack keyboard zones to 4 different timbres so I could turn separately kick, snare etc. I set those timbres to one midi channel. While recording I fade in kick first, then snare and so on. But when playing back all sliders behave the same (mapping kick's slider movements). What I'm doing wrong and how to do this the right way, help please?

Did you record each track by itself making sure that all other tracks were off when recording?
Or maybe the slider input is recorded to Master track and master track plays it back for Midi channel 1 and any track set to midi channel 1 will respond to all messages recorded for midi channel 1?

Also there is a “Level Hold” function, that makes all sliders lock into unison so that any movement in one will take all the other levels along in the same increment. Check to see “Level Hold” is not enabled.

Maybe someone knows some setting somewhere to isolate slider messages between tracks using the same midi channel. Maybe a setting that determines if slider inputs get recorded to master track or independent tracks.

If no simple setting solution comes up, i would try recording each track without slider input, and then do an overdub of each track where you record and make your slider inputs over the prerecorded drum track part.

Maybe “Level Hold” is only in Combi mode?
I don’t think i have a good handle on the problem, but it interests me.
Sorry if i have no real solution.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being on the same MIDI channel causes this. Not sure what the workaround is.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS- the feature is called "Hold Balance" and it is in Combi not Seq Mode.
Thepoliskey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not any other solution so I made like this:
Set 4 timbres to the same midi channel, record all of them (just midi notes), then changed each timbre to different channel, and then record sliders in overdub mode ( all the same time).
Not perfect way I know but did a job.

If anyone knows better way to do it, please share.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution is to change a setting in Global -> MIDI called "Parem Edit" and ensure this is set to "SysEx" when recording your slider movements. If this is set to Continuous Controller, then your slider movements will be recorded according to the channel you are recording to and all in the one track. When they are played back, they will affect all tracks using the same channel number. By using Sysex, the movements are still recorded to the same track, but details of which slider has moved are embedded in the Sysex message and they will be affect the correct slider.

The main downside of recording them as sysex messages is that they become harder to edit, but this may not be an issue if you're recording the movements live anyway.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: