Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

North America Electribe with EU Power Supply

View previous topic :: View next topic  
f00sp4m

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: North America Electribe with EU Power Supply Reply with quote

I'm currently living in the EU and have been hunting for an Electribe MX1 SD for some time now. I noticed that there are far more available in the US and that the prices are better. However, the power supply that comes with the US version only supports 120V. Would I be able to buy something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/UpBright%C2%AE-Adapter-Electribe-EMX-1SD-connector/dp/B00AI14NKE

and use it in Europe? I believe yes, but I want to be sure before I drop $400. Has anyone else done this?

Thanks.
rkn

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done this myself, but looking at the product description, I would assume that 100-240 is the voltage specification, which would mean that it's EU-safe

Quote:
UpBright® AC Adapter For Korg Electribe MX EMX-1SD MXSD SD Music Station Power Supply Cord (with Barrel round plug tip, NOT 4-Pin connector) CECCCROHS 100-240

Of course, I could be totally wrong, so don't take my assumption as fact.

*edit

There's a Questions section in that Amazon link, so your best bet might be to ask the seller directly.
f00sp4m

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I assume the same, but I'm still hesitant. I also don't entirely trust the response of the seller whatever it may be.
rkn

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bricks in the photos also say 100-240VAC, and they show different termination cables / plugs, so, there's that too.

Maybe also ask what their return policy is, if the adapter doesn't work where you are? I'm sure you'll be able to find *some* adapter that will work.
f00sp4m

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rkn"]The bricks in the photos also say 100-240VAC, and they show different termination cables / plugs, so, there's that too.

Maybe also ask what their return policy is, if the adapter doesn't work where you are? I'm sure you'll be able to find *some* adapter that will work.[/quote]

I don't care so much about the adapter, my concern is the EMX1 being damaged or not functioning properly. I haven't actually bought one yet, and if I wind up with a North America version that I can't use here I'll be quite unhappy. I'm mostly just worried that I'm going to plug in something and fry it. I had a bad experience with speakers here despite using a transformer, so I'm bit leery at this point. I'm in Germany.
rkn

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. Power trauma is real.

Googling a bit, it looks like you can call Korg customer support and they'll sell you one, even though they don't list it online or mention it anywhere?

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=57085&sid=324fd9e3b72d89dd534399a41d45260c

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65521&sid=aba13cd5caeafb94de67eba36ea61975

If you do wind up going for a 3rd Party option, it's basically a meticulous exercise in matching the power supply specifications to what the manual (or the device directly) says. The things you need to worry about are:

• Can the Power Supply provide enough current? (i.e. if the supply is 1500mA, and the device requires 2500mA, you'll burn out the power supply)

• Does the Power Supply provide the correct voltage? This includes whether the voltage is AC or DC.. 9V DC won't work for a device expecting 12V AC, etc. Getting this wrong (especially the AC/DC part) probably *will* damage the device, unless its power input stage is designed correctly.

• Does the pinout of the connector match the expectation of the device? Boss guitar pedals, for example, expect 9V DC with the center negative, and the barrel positive. Meanwhile, Moogerfooger pedals expect 9V DC with the center positive and the barrel negative, so even though the plugs are the same, a Boss plug won't work with a Moog pedal without an adapter. As with the correct voltage point, unless the device's power input stage is designed to handle over- (or under-)voltages, this will probably damage the device.

So, with all of that, the easiest thing may be to just rufen Korg an Wink
sl23

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sl23 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
f00sp4m

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much for the replies. I'm going to give customer support a call as well and confirm with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: