Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help me get one of these amazing instruments.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgarvey65

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Please help me get one of these amazing instruments. Reply with quote

If you own a Kronos you know the feeling of possessing such a powerful instrument. Please help an inspired musician who does not have a stable income purchase one of these amazing instruments.

https://www.gofundme.com/
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this post makes you a beggar, by our western standards.. Its refrained uppon by many in my country as one of the lowest things...

Maybe you should try to get some stable form of income first before reaching out to your dreams...
DaveKeys

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work your way up to the Kronos - like I'm sure most people here have done. Get second hand boards, learn to get the best out of them, save up, trade in, etc. It's taken me years before I could reach the stage of affording a Kronos - it was worth the wait.
One thing I would never have done though is beg.
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give to the homeless.
I will give to the salvation army.
I will give to goodwill stores.
I will give to the needy in general when i can.
But you gotta pay your dues.
Me giving money so someone can get a free expensive ride?
No way. Rolling Eyes
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I suggest that you do what most of us here did. We saved up for one. Myself, I saved until I could put down a good down payment and then paid the rest off over time. I worked extra hours to get more money so o could buy mine quicker. Some people suggested I try busking even on my days off. You might want to try that.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a story.

I used to have a SY35 and that was my first 'real' synth. Everything before that was a casio or something similar, just toys.

I found out about the Kurzweil 2500 (I think the 2600 was JUST out but was far far too expensive) and since Jordan Rudess was using it, it was probably way better than I needed but I wanted one.

I didn't beg. I didn't plead. I used the skills and resources I had available to me, built a computer that was very capable as a music workstation and traded it with someone who was looking for exactly what I had provided.

It took me MONTHS to find someone who was looking for what I had to offer, but I was able to barter and trade into what I wanted.

Perhaps instead of looking for handouts from other people, you should take initiative on your own and do something about your situation instead of looking for someone else to do it for you.

How about you donate to me to fund my dream of having a Lamborghini?
fcoulter

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Pay it forward Reply with quote

The problem with your GoFundMe is that it's completely one sided. There is nothing for the donor (like a Patreon funding request), nor have you said what you would do with the Kronos.

I've thought about using a GoFundMe as a way to accelerate keyboard purchases, but the only way I could justify it was with a statement in the GoFundMe that I would be pass on 10% of any revenue (gross, not net) generated by the keyboard for other musician's GoFundMe pages. Then I would at least be opening up the possibility that by funding my keyboard, you would actually be funding a bunch of musical equipment for a bunch of musicians. (No, I didn't include a ceiling on how much I passed on. If I made nothing, then nothing would get passed on. But if I made $1,000,000, that would be $100,000 passed on to other musicians.)

(Needless to say, I didn't do it. This was more of a thought exercise.)

Additionally, you didn't link any sort of examples of your music. Are you actually a talented musician who just needs a good tool, or are you an armchair dilettante who thinks a Kronos would look cool? Can't tell from your page. No resume. No links to YouTube videos of you playing. Nothing.

Now, on a different note. Debt is easily available. (Perhaps too easily available.) Do not buy a Kronos on credit unless you are positive that you can make the payments. If you do buy one on credit, make sure the interest rate is low; right now Sweetwater is offering 0% for 24 months. And use your bank's online bill paying feature to set up payments to be sent automatically, scheduled for your pay day so the payments are sent as you get paid. (Just because the credit card expects monthly payments doesn't mean it won't take weekly payments: divide the monthly payment by four.) If you don't have a regular job, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING ON CREDIT. If you don't have a bank account, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING ON CREDIT.
fcoulter

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:

A friend of mine played in a band which played small clubs. One of the band members left the band, went on to a well paying professional career as a musician.

One day he ran into my friend in New York City, driving a Lamborghini. He offered my friend a ride, and my friend enjoyed the sheep skin seat covers. My friend told him how nice his car was.

He told my friend that if he worked hard, he, too, could have that comfortable a ride. My friend said "you mean I can get a Lamborghini, too?"

He said, "no, but you can get sheepskin seat covers."
black953mj

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh... I've been doing it wrong I guess.

Seriously though if you want/need it bad enough you will find a way to earn the money to get it. I will, however, give you credit for out of the box thinking. Problem is, most of us have had to work for what you are asking us to give you.

I fully support other musician's - if a someone I know comes across seriously hard times at no fault of their own I have been known to help bail them out. Guitarist I knew had ALL his equipment stolen, we passed the hat to get him a new guitar, amp, and effects to get him by so he could keep his gigs. While it was never requested he also paid us all back. (Oh, and he now carries appropriate insurance)

My point - he paid his dues, was working, had something happen and people helped.

Your request is a bit different.
Minimoog Voyager - DSI Prophet 12 - Sequential Prophet 6 - DSI OB-6 - Access Virus Ti2 - Korg Kronos 2 - KingKORG - Novation MiniNova - Roland JU-06 - Roland RD-700GX - Novation Bass Station Rack - EMU Proteus 2000 - Various other old musical gadgets and dodads
black953mj

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:

Actually, I would throw a few bucks your way for that dream since you spent a lot of time and energy making patches for all to use on this forum while asking for nothing in return! Very Happy
Minimoog Voyager - DSI Prophet 12 - Sequential Prophet 6 - DSI OB-6 - Access Virus Ti2 - Korg Kronos 2 - KingKORG - Novation MiniNova - Roland JU-06 - Roland RD-700GX - Novation Bass Station Rack - EMU Proteus 2000 - Various other old musical gadgets and dodads
JFree

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly me, I had done all these gigs saving up for one. The working man's a sucka.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFree wrote:
Silly me, I had done all these gigs saving up for one. The working man's a sucka.

I would like TWO brand new Kronos for free.

Then I can sell one and goof off all summer

At least i am honest Wink
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

black953mj wrote:
enigmahack wrote:

Actually, I would throw a few bucks your way for that dream since you spent a lot of time and energy making patches for all to use on this forum while asking for nothing in return! Very Happy

Heh, thanks for that!

While I appreciate it, I'd like to start a business similar to what some of the sound developers have done here... Until that happens though, just enjoy the sounds Smile
fcoulter

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
JFree wrote:

I would like TWO brand new Kronos for free.

Then I can sell one and goof off all summer

At least i am honest Wink

Your cost of living is apparently much cheaper than mine. Either that, or the market for a used Kronos is insane.
mikeyd

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the very thought of hard work, saving money, and obtaining your equipment the way most of us have, is not in line with your sense of entitlement. Why work for it when people might hand it to you? Nice try.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: