Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange keyboard behavior

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfontaine2

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject: Strange keyboard behavior Reply with quote

I haven't played my Microstation for about a week. When I turned it on today, every fourth note refuses to sound. In other words, if I play every key from left to right, three keys sound but the fourth doesn't sound, repeating all the way up the keyboard. I've initialized the Microstation a couple times but nothing seems to help.
Any thoughts?
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keyboards can gather dust in a very short time, Try air it out.
Could also try hook up an controller keyboard to see if the MW working alright.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
pfontaine2

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shall do. It seems to me that there's an issue on the circuit board since the "fourth note not sounding" seems like a keyboard tracking issue. So, are you suggesting that I open it up and used compressed air or some other technique?

Thank you by the way for the suggestions!
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to brush and air of between the key´s first.
Opening would use as an last resort only if you´re confident about it.
Most issue´s like these I had on my keyboards where dust or moist cleaning the rubbers and print lightly with cleaning alcohol helps.

Or if you´re warranty still valid sent it Smile

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
pfontaine2

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your suggestions. For a few days nothing seemed to work or fix the problem but I turned it back on last night and it was working just fine. Crazy...perhaps a change in weather or humidity or some other phenomenon affected the electronics in some way? I'll be on the watch for this to happen again but for now my MicroStation is back up and running perfectly.

All your help was truly very much appreciated!
Pierre
bradkorg

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably starting some cold solderjoints or ic/components failure in the fourth note tracking maxtrix line/wire/electronics.
Reason why this will happen intermittently after sometime left power on and sometime left power off, is powercycling of the electronics that cause electronics/contacts heating up and cooling down that can causing failure components/solder to loose connection= defective electronics.

Google "power cycling electronics".
pfontaine2

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem has returned! Ugh...Korg has been very good about pointing me to an authorized repair shop.

I might try and see if keeping it on so that it "warms up" might help but so far not so good. I've reset the machine, reloaded the firmware so I think the issue is electronic and not in the software as the previous poster suggested.

Pierre
pfontaine2

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the keyboard again this morning and something unusual happened. Everything was working fine but those same keys started to "fade" as I played them. In other words, they started at normal volume then I found that I needed to apply more force to get them to sound at normal volume until they eventually stopped playing. To be more accurate, the keys seem to sound but I have to play those keys with a lot of force to hear any sound. The other keys all play fine.

Again, this points to a hardware problem where something that controls every 4th note is failing or is potentially effected by either heat or humidity or some other factor I haven't figured out yet. If the weather warrants it, I might turn on my air conditioning and see if a cool, dry room has any effect.
pfontaine2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that might be interested, the intermittent problem with the keyboard not sounding every 4th note continued to happen. Facing having to send the MicroStation to a repair shop I decided to open the case and see if there was anything visibly wrong on the inside.

After removing about 20 screws and removing the bottom half of the case, I found that all the ribbon cables seemed to be properly seated. One cable had a very minimal gap so I pushed it back in place. I also blew air to remove any potential dust that might have accumulated inside. For the moment everything seems to be working okay.

I wouldn't recommend doing this without the proper keyboard support so that the joystick isn't pushed in any particular direction. The open Microstation rested on my table with a soft camera case holding up the side with the joystick and book stopping the Microstation from sliding around. A few paper cups to hold the various sized screws were also very helpful.

I'll keep you posted if this "fix" is permanent or if the problem returns.
pfontaine2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After nearly a week, my fix seems to have stuck. I realized that I move my MicroStation a lot, from my computer desk to a nearby table. Sometimes the rubber feet "stick" to the table and some force is needed to lift the MicroStation. I suspect that this caused some strain on the case allowing one of the cables to unseat slightly as I mentioned previously. At the very least, I feel I've avoided having to send it out to be repaired.

BTW, I love this little workstation. It remains very inspiring and I really enjoy playing it on a regular basis!
RickyPhils

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Urgent Help Please Reply with quote

Hi,
I updated my Korg Krome and and every other thing works fine but no sound from the output combo. i check and realized that the combo works with other devices. Pls advice. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: