Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is going on KORG???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebiglebowski

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve joined recently the Facebook Circuit User group for research.

Wow, what a community… People share tons of stuff: patches, pdfs with tips and tricks for workflow and performance, MIDI mappings for TouchOSC etc.
You can sense the excitement and positve vibe right away.

And here? With all the respect, just a few sad guys, plus a dude who’s desperately trying to sell his overpriced cardboard stand for the Electribe.

That does not look good.

The saddest part of it is that the E2 is a decent piece of kit. Just a few simple menu tweaks would make the workflow 1000x better. So its really not that hard if only someone cares.

Here’s an idea: DSI Tempest users posted recently a change.org petition regarding firmawe bug fixes and feature requests. It worked, it got attention. DSI made a promise to work on it.

So instead of asking if Korg cares - lets ask ourselves if we care enough to start a petition.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in for signing it.

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
thebiglebowski

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to draft it, but english is my second language unfortunately so I'm not qualified.

But we can start a separate post where we could collect our ideas for the petition. Here's the Tempest petition for reference:

https://www.change.org/p/dave-smith-help-make-the-tempest-a-priority-for-dave-smith-instruments
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll sign.
E2 seemed a no brainer and it was an exciting forum around release.
I love korg product and this community.

..I didn't buy E2 in the end.
bloomes

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebiglebowski wrote:
Here’s an idea: DSI Tempest users posted recently a change.org petition regarding firmawe bug fixes and feature requests. It worked, it got attention. DSI made a promise to work on it.

this is a VERY good idea! count with me, too.
jreign

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power to the people! Count me in also. Best we can do, haha

Non-Korg: OP-1, PO-12/20/28
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebiglebowski wrote:
I’ve joined recently the Facebook Circuit User group for research.

Wow, what a community… People share tons of stuff: patches, pdfs with tips and tricks for workflow and performance, MIDI mappings for TouchOSC etc.
You can sense the excitement and positve vibe right away.

And here? With all the respect, just a few sad guys, plus a dude who’s desperately trying to sell his overpriced cardboard stand for the Electribe.

That's not entirely fair. I don't own a Circuit and have not been on the Facebook group so can't comment on that, but the electribe 2 Facebook group is pretty good. Lots of good videos and tutorials, many people willing to help out with queries/problems (instead of the unhelpful RTFM attitude that is prevalent on this board), very fast response time for those raising queries, and there is a good community spirit on there with a lot more positivity for the new tribes than you get on here.

I'm sick of hearing about people's gripes with this machine on this board. I love my E2S and I don't really give a s**t what other people think of theirs, that's their business, but clogging up the forum with your lamentations is not helpful to anybody. The flaws and limitations of this machine are now well known have been documented ad nauseam, there is no need to bring them up in every thread. Give it a rest and move on with your lives naysayers.

And count me in with the petition too.
1_inch_punch

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"With the excitement surrounding Novations Circuit, and the general trend of moving away from the computer to hardware,"

Handbrake on - if you had been doing your proper research you would have found the opposite is happening on that group - the circuit is pushing people more towards acceptance of pc/mac or ipad/android pad integration. Getting them very comfortable with the whole deal.

It's pretty clever as it always claimed it was "start something..." then move to...

Yes, there are folk churning out cool stuff straight from the box but you arent getting very far without connecting to something at some stage - I point out Thavius Beck's post on connecting a tablet to his circuit to access the facebook page to download his samples....

really?

How about I dont have to log in to facebook at all?

But its educated a ton of folk to be pretty cool about that. They are getting used to it with their cameras so why not...?

I am not sure that the isolated hardware instrument is a thing of the future... I'd say if its *not* connect-able folk will be screaming...
thebiglebowski

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Handbrake on - if you had been doing your proper research you would have found the opposite is happening on that group

If you would care to actually understand what I wrote, you would notice that I haven't said that a groovebox should, or can replace a computer DAW.

People are sick of clicking on tiny VST interfaces designed for 800x600 resolutions on a 14 inch CRT display. Developers still follow the ridiculous skeuomorphism path in terms of UI design, instead of creating something that is actually usable with a mouse and keyboard. Also, people finally noticed that hoarding VSTs, plugins, preset and sample libraries gets them nowhere creatively, they drown in an ocean of possibilites.

Its just one of many reasons why we have a cornucopia of hardware synths now.

Performing live without a laptop - not a new idea, people seem to dig it now and definitely you see less of the glowing apple logo on stage.

That's one of many reasons why Arturia released the Beatstep Pro, and there's a ton of other hardware sequencers out there.

I can go on - people trashing AKAI because their MPCs do not work standalone, Pioneer releasing a standalone groovebox sampler with Dave Smith filters and an a huge color screen, Teenage Engineering minigrooveboxes for hipsters that are bored with their iOS apps, the list goes on.

„In the box” is currently out, hardware is in, that's there current trend and its obvious. Does not mean DAWs are going away.
thebiglebowski

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but the electribe 2 Facebook group is pretty good. Lots of good videos and tutorials, many people willing to help out with queries/problems (instead of the unhelpful RTFM attitude that is prevalent on this board)

I had the exact opposite experience and that's why I left the E2 group on FB.

Most of user groups on FB, especially for new hardware, are poor. People post picture of their gear with their pets, they document how they are „making tunes on a beach”. Lots of hardware setup photos. And thats basically it.

Thats why the Circuit group was such a surprise for me.
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebiglebowski wrote:
Quote:
but the electribe 2 Facebook group is pretty good. Lots of good videos and tutorials, many people willing to help out with queries/problems (instead of the unhelpful RTFM attitude that is prevalent on this board)

I had the exact opposite experience and that's why I left the E2 group on FB.

Most of user groups on FB, especially for new hardware, are poor. People post picture of their gear with their pets, they document how they are „making tunes on a beach”. Lots of hardware setup photos. And thats basically it.

Thats why the Circuit group was such a surprise for me.

Yes there are some photos of people's setups, pets, etc. I don't mind that, I think it helps humanise the participants, and build rapport and community spirit amongst the group. I'd much rather that than faceless, cold and unfriendly people on a forum, but each to their own.

I had two queries with the new tribes that I posted on Facebook and I received multiple answers within minutes, all friendly, helpful advice.
jpeg

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have sold my e2 its a nice machine but I really wanted an all in one sampler and synth.

I more of a sample guy so will keep my es2 instead; also I was not overly impressed with the filter modules. but korg could of easily combined the features of the two units. and given us a screen with some wave form editing; seems like korg was holding back on delivering what they are capable of.

however we are also complicit in this because if no one brought the stuff they produce they would stop making it or step the game up
Redmond Barry

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am for signing the petition if it is framed positively and comes at it from the angle that the E2 and E2S have remarkable potential. I love my E2S, as I said earlier in this thread But there are a few things that seem like easy additions that would make it better. Like maybe make it so you can have the metronome going when you sample from audio in (not just resample) to get timing right, and maybe have an option where it starts recording when audio hits the input (this would make recording drum hits very easy without having the waveform display for editing). That kinda thing seems like a simple addition well within the E2S capabilities. (Btw, if I can already do these things and am just too dumb please let me know)
1_inch_punch

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and you havent understood what I wrote, big - i was highlighting the movement towards connectvity - not "all in the daw".

No pics of circuits on the beach?

pffft!

No pics of circuits with their pets?

pfft

check this mornings cat from Suren Smile

how much have you actually been looking at that fb group?

also note the components upgrade is firmly locked into FB - I think it's fairly safe to predict they wont be moving away from FB any time soon in the future...

Novation made a big deal of closing its web forums and moving everything across to FB

You think this forum is sad? go and have a look at the old mininova web forum.

sure you arent a novation ring-in?

There's plenty of great material here - most by people who "moved on" from the e2/ES2 but you look at the vids these people have posted and you will be lucky to see more than a dozen views - indicating to me that a lot of the material is *way* advanced above the ability of most E2/Es2 owners - including myself in that category.
jpeg

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redmond Barry wrote:
I am for signing the petition if it is framed positively and comes at it from the angle that the E2 and E2S have remarkable potential. I love my E2S, as I said earlier in this thread But there are a few things that seem like easy additions that would make it better. Like maybe make it so you can have the metronome going when you sample from audio in (not just resample) to get timing right, and maybe have an option where it starts recording when audio hits the input (this would make recording drum hits very easy without having the waveform display for editing). That kinda thing seems like a simple addition well within the E2S capabilities. (Btw, if I can already do these things and am just too dumb please let me know)

those things u mentioned seem so trivial and hardly game changers no wonder korg is not bothered to actually implement the change cos alot of them are very subjective and nitpicky.

I think the more useful additions would be in the areas of sample management; and how the computer integration works as currently it is very weak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: