Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

People using both the E2 and ES2?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redmond Barry

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: People using both the E2 and ES2? Reply with quote

Let me preface this by saying I did not like the ES2 for a long while, for many of the same reasons people have listed. But I went through several months where I had no access to my gear except just the ES2 and so I learned it and got used to its workflow. Now I like it! So much so that I'm thinking about getting the E2 to pair up with it. My reasons are primarily for the more robust VA engine. I actually use the the truncated VA engine in the ES2 a fair amount, which is what has led me to consider bringing on the E2. The E2 could handle all the VA duties and the ES2 could handle all the sampler duties and drums. The nice thing about this is that things like voice stealing will be much less of problem now -- probably my biggest complaint at this point. Anyway, I wanted to post to see what other people who are using duel E2 and ES2's think and maybe something I'm not considering. I've thought about maybe getting the Circuit instead, but I'm actually pretty used to the new Electribe workflow.
PureSecksPirate

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! I released an all electribe (and a korg volca keys) ep of drum and bass. I have the approach you're considering. The E2 is handling all the heavy duty synth work with some basic drums/on shots and the ES2 is mostly drum breaks and vocal stuff. The volca keys is my dedicated lead machine with midi out from the E2 into the volca keys.

https://soundcloud.com/pinkertonpinkerton/sets/sympathy-ep

Feel free to download the EP and share.

Happy tribing!
Z7A

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both. My occasional problem with voice stealing went away when I bought the sampler last year. I also felt like had gotten more parts than I needed. But then I realized I could use Copy Sound to several parts to be able to record melodies which are in total longer than 4 bars, and then mute and unmute those parts in sequence. It works best for notes with a short delay. Or one can Copy the entire Part and have several different versions of motion record actions. You simply get more space to work with.

As a side-note I think it would be possible for KORG to make use of this method to create 8 bar parts (or more). Something similar to how a stereo sample takes up the space of two parts. They would just have to automate the cycling through what notes are read and played in the sequencer.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both as well. I thought many time of letting go of the synth version but I realize how much I use the synth along with the sampler.

Having both units gives me tons of flexibility. When performing live I use the sampler as my beat machine and the synth for leads and bass. At home I can use the synth to make new sounds to feed the sampler. I'll create a 1 part 1 bar sound in C4 the E2 and thus have a new synth sound for the Sampler by exporting it as a wave. Same can be done in the Sampler but I really like the synth engine in the E2.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
bobtrouser

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with using both in mind, is there any way to run say the e2 at full speed and the e2s at half speed (for '8' bar loops) with them synced? or does the midi sync make the tempo settings moot?
thesigma

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobtrouser wrote:
with using both in mind, is there any way to run say the e2 at full speed and the e2s at half speed (for '8' bar loops) with them synced? or does the midi sync make the tempo settings moot?

USE the clock (SYNC?) outsof the E2 on the miniplugs and run it through a clock divider and into the E2S

Korg gear I've used extensively:
M1, Triton Pro-x 88, SG-1D, NanoPad, NanoKontrol
Redmond Barry

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! So it looks like there's some happy dual E2/ES2 users out there. Glad to hear it! I definitely think I need the E2. I practically max out all of my voices on my ES2 from just doing drums. I have a lot going on. Which filter model is your guys' favorite?

PureSecksPirate wrote:
Yup! I released an all electribe (and a korg volca keys) ep of drum and bass. I have the approach you're considering. The E2 is handling all the heavy duty synth work with some basic drums/on shots and the ES2 is mostly drum breaks and vocal stuff. The volca keys is my dedicated lead machine with midi out from the E2 into the volca keys.

https://soundcloud.com/pinkertonpinkerton/sets/sympathy-ep

Feel free to download the EP and share.

Happy tribing!

I checked it out. It's awesome! Thanks for posting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: