Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Massively improving in Korg Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajean

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tread is getting more interesting by the minute...

I just hope that there will be a follow up on this and that an "update" or "patch" can be done without to much problem...
marcan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
If they get this thing to dual boot to windows - I'd do this and use the Kronos as my Windows development environment! hahaha, that would be incredibly awesome!
Of course it can dual boot Windows (or Linux), both on the original and the modified hardware. It's just a PC. That much is trivial Smile

The tricky bit is that the built-in screen (and the keybed, and the audio) isn't going to work without special drivers, though. But boot, it'll boot Wink
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree, greater polyphony and instant load times is definitely nice, but I hardly bump into that limits, and load time is just 2 minutes, not so much for me. Windows vst via Wine - that's the main point of interest here for me. So go ahead and good luck! May be I'll join beta testing if things will be reversible.
Current hardware: Kronos-1 61+1GB RAM+2nd HDD 320 Gb, Triton Extreme 76+MOSS+RAM+dual microSD to CF adapter+64 Gb microSD card, Roland GW7, Casio WK-3300, Casio CTK-631, Farfisa child synth, laptop HP Envy dv7 16Gb ram, Core-i7, 128 SSD+720 GB HDD, E-MU 0202 USB Audio Interface.
Midi: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, E-MU X-Board 61, launchpad mini, 3 Korg nano controllers, AKAI LPD+LPK, Behringer C2000.
My Kronos wish-list: www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=661561#661561
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting, does this hack increase available sample memory? Can the limit of 16000 samples be shifted?
Current hardware: Kronos-1 61+1GB RAM+2nd HDD 320 Gb, Triton Extreme 76+MOSS+RAM+dual microSD to CF adapter+64 Gb microSD card, Roland GW7, Casio WK-3300, Casio CTK-631, Farfisa child synth, laptop HP Envy dv7 16Gb ram, Core-i7, 128 SSD+720 GB HDD, E-MU 0202 USB Audio Interface.
Midi: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, E-MU X-Board 61, launchpad mini, 3 Korg nano controllers, AKAI LPD+LPK, Behringer C2000.
My Kronos wish-list: www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=661561#661561
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two aren't really related. It was already explained that there is more sample memory available after the hack, provided 4GB is installed and not 3GB. The 16,000 is an OS level limitation and not tied to the available memory.
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great thread.

Even though I have no intention of modding my own instrument at this time (it's only a month old), as a new Kronos user this is additional confirmation that I've made the right choice. And not just due to my delight in finding out that the Kronos is hackable, but also in the surprising quality of posts and posters to this forum.

I do believe there'd be demand for an aftermarket upgrade kit. Not a huge market, perhaps, but big enough to justify the effort. As an independent software developer for the last 23 years and hardware designer for 20 years before that (yes, I'm old), I am well aware of how much work it is to product-ize an idea. But support nightmares could be avoided by applying the minimum number of software mods needed to support the replacement hardware.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcan, with this set of mods you're working on, would it be possible somehow to hook up an external (touchscreen) display? Cool
marcan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Marcan, with this set of mods you're working on, would it be possible somehow to hook up an external (touchscreen) display? Cool
It's not so much about what's possible but about what's reasonable/sensible/worth it.

I'm not particularly planning on any specific set of mods/features; first I want to make sure that the rooting and kernel update (for the new hardware) process can be done in a safe way that other people can use. Time will tell where this leads us.

For example, I personally have no interest in Windows VSTs (I don't use Windows); as for integrating general Linux audio stuff with the Kronos, it uses a very nonstandard architecture software-wise, so making it play nicely with existing Linux software is nontrivial. It might be possible to hook into the Kronos synth and somehow get audio in/out of it into, say, JACK. Or it might make more sense to just virtualize the entire original Kronos OS inside a more standard Linux install, write emulated drivers for the NKS4, and then treat it as a synth module within a more typical Linux DAW setup (and then you could use the VST bridge stuff to use Windows VSTs too). That's a big project but it's an interesting idea, IMO.
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be getting an Absolutely Unlimited Music Synth (AUMS) is easier to achieve this way)):
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=96947&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
And use Kronos just like an audio interface.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aziz, your AUMS is certainly worth considering for those who would like to work with a more VST based setup. But if you're planning on selling it make sure to request the "approved merchant" stamp from Sharp. I think you fit the requirements anyway but better to have it sorted now.
jayS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcan, awesome stuff!

I'm a software engineer hoping to work towards a career in music tech, and this kind of thing is right up my alley. Just finished a 1.5 year research assistantship on a Linux-based embedded project, and have been a Korg enthusiast for a while now (10-15 years I guess).

I've been hoping to raise funds for a Kronos for a while now, but this makes me want to make it a priority. If anyone could part with one for an extreme deal I'd love to contribute to this project!

EDIT: I rarely post here because I've been workstation-less for a number of years now, but upon posting I saw my join date and I'm coming up on my 10 year korgforums anniversary in 14 days. Crazy!
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SanderXpander, thank you, but actually, I'm not selling it worldwide, and even locally - that's why I've put a high price tag on that Avito website. I don't want it to be sold) And it is more of a joke) But if it violates forum rules I can remove the link.

From the start of this AUMS project I wanted to give a musician a total freedom and simplicity of building his own super synth and upgrading it. So it will be always free and easy for everyone.

You see, I did not choose right wording - I've ment not "getting" Aums, but rather getting by "building". Some language barrier here, sorry)

SanderXpander wrote:
Hi Aziz, your AUMS is certainly worth considering for those who would like to work with a more VST based setup. But if you're planning on selling it make sure to request the "approved merchant" stamp from Sharp. I think you fit the requirements anyway but better to have it sorted now.

DSTMK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can now display messages on the Kronos' display and use some elements of the control surface.

See https://goo.gl/xcTEq3 for details, source code and a demo video.
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome, keep on! Now Kronos is almost truly Oasys (Open Architecture Synthesis) Wink Thanks for opening it!)
Escapegoat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just joined here (my Kronos arrives later today).

Wanted to mention one very good reason why EVERY Kronos owner should support this project, even if you never run out of polyphony and if you are totally happy with your sampling memory/etc.

One day, something on your Kronos motherboard will fail, and when it does this project will give you two options:
1) buy the old Korg-supplied motherboard from someone who has upgraded
2) fit a faster motherboard

Without those options, you've got one hope: that Korg keeps a plentiful and cheap supply of those obsolete motherboards in its parts store for decades to come. Who wants to take that bet?

So... if I can help on the project, I'd love to. I teach people how to build high-voltage valve (tube) amplifiers, so you can imagine how tight my user documentation has to be for personal safety reasons. It would be good if I could help make this process as foolproof as possible.

And as I've never pressed a key on a Linux machine, I'd be a realistic beta tester.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: