Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Power for the Kronos?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carsten72

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: More Power for the Kronos? Reply with quote

Will Korg provide another Upgrade Kit to give the Kronos more power and more RAM? Actually I'm running out of RAM and I still have to switch between the loaded KSC files. I think Korg could offer an upgrade package perhaps also with a new mainboard and cpu? The good thing on the kronos is, that it is based on linux. I know a Manufactor don't like these words, but the Kronos could live forever Wink

By the way, I ask my self a lot of time why Korg does not offer a programm / combi sharing directly from the kronos and if they like they could include a shop for buyin seperate programms...something like the apps for mobile devices Wink
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: More Power for the Kronos? Reply with quote

Carsten72 wrote:

1)Will Korg provide another Upgrade Kit to give the Kronos more power and more RAM?

2) Actually I'm running out of RAM and I still have to switch between the loaded KSC files. I think Korg could offer an upgrade package perhaps also with a new mainboard and cpu? The good thing on the kronos is, that it is based on linux. I know a Manufactor don't like these words, but the Kronos could live forever Wink

By the way, I ask my self a lot of time why Korg does not offer a programm / combi sharing directly from the kronos and if they like they could include a shop for buyin seperate programms...something like the apps for mobile devices Wink

1) I doubt it. I don't believe Korg is into the ' parts resale ' business. I don't see where that fits their manufacturing model.

2) I agree, the Kronos is stingy on RAM. I understand its OS ( 32 bit)related.
I don't know about ' forever'. There plenty of Korg workstations around from the mid to late 90's . And prior. But critical parts, such as LCD's might fail after 20/30 yrs.
jayS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, like Greg said, the RAM is limited to 4GB (actually 3.x) due to the 32-bit OS. A system that can recognize more than that would require a complete rewrite of the software, and that sounds like a project for the next generation workstation, unfortunately.

Your "live forever" comment makes me think of the days when Oasys updates were starting to become few and far between. We all cried "but Oasys was designed to live forever!" Somehow, they made something even better. But do notice that the M3 and Kronos software is building off of the Oasys platform in a much different way than the Triton Classic/Studio/Extreme did. This new platform really is the way into the future, but 64-bit is going to have to show up some time.

On the other hand, 3.xGB is still so far ahead of the competition that they may decide to wait a while on improving on that number. Couldn't really blame them.

Would be nice though!
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the word "workstation" is not promised to last forever Wink

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My K73 replaced a 10-year-old Yamaha MO8 that will still going strong, had never let me down once in all that time.

Although its 3 velocity layers were sometimes annoying, it's a testament to the skill of those Yamaha engineers that they packed so much into 128 MB without excessive compromise.

I never used the MO8 much for recording, though. Most of my best sounds were on the computer in the form of Kontakt libraries or VSTs. Now I've got pianos that are comparable to my best Kontakt libraries, but can leave the studio with me.

I think it'll be a while before I start complaining about the 3.5 GB RAM limitation.
v-grooves

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: A Gentleman & A Scholar Reply with quote

This is one of the most clear & concise (and polite) posts I have read on a board in a while. Answers the questions I had in mind.

Thanks!
V

jayS wrote:
Yep, like Greg said, the RAM is limited to 4GB (actually 3.x) due to the 32-bit OS. A system that can recognize more than that would require a complete rewrite of the software, and that sounds like a project for the next generation workstation, unfortunately.

Your "live forever" comment makes me think of the days when Oasys updates were starting to become few and far between. We all cried "but Oasys was designed to live forever!" Somehow, they made something even better. But do notice that the M3 and Kronos software is building off of the Oasys platform in a much different way than the Triton Classic/Studio/Extreme did. This new platform really is the way into the future, but 64-bit is going to have to show up some time.

On the other hand, 3.xGB is still so far ahead of the competition that they may decide to wait a while on improving on that number. Couldn't really blame them.

Would be nice though!
jayS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A Gentleman & A Scholar Reply with quote

v-grooves wrote:
This is one of the most clear & concise (and polite) posts I have read on a board in a while. Answers the questions I had in mind.

Thanks!
V

Thanks for the kind words! Glad I helped!
ErnstDabest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
Even the word "workstation" is not promised to last forever Wink

Whatchutalkin' bout, willis?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: