Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 2 73 problem-piano programs going silent during play

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yubby67

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Kronos 2 73 problem-piano programs going silent during play Reply with quote

Hello all,
I'm a owner of a Kronos X-61 and I just purchased a Kronos 2 73 which I'm planning to now make one of my primary gigging keyboards. I'm having a curious problem that I've never experienced with the X-61.

The Berlin Grand and my K Sounds Epic Grand piano programs have both suddenly gone (and stayed) silent across the entire keyboard while in the middle of playing. When it happens I have to change to a new program and change back to the original program to hear the sound again. It's happened each time during more aggressive style playing with no sustain pedal involved - I can't imagine I was anywhere near the polyphony limit. I'm not maxed out on RAM. I also haven't been able to reproduce the problem with other sounds, either factory or sample libraries. Could it be a issue with the streaming speed since I am using Virtual memory?

But it's happened enough times now that I chose to not chance it at last weekend's gigs and brought other keyboards instead.

The 73 keyboard is running OS 3.0.4, 3 GB memory, everything is authorized, registered, etc. Once again I have all the same sample libraries, RAM, OS on my X-61 and it's never given me any problems.

I'm still within the return / exchange period with Sweetwater on this purchase so no worries there. I also plan to send a copy of this post to Korg USA support.

Has anyone experienced this problem with the 73 key or perhaps with the weighted action Kronos keybed vs the semi weighted?

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by Yubby67 on Tue May 24, 2016 2:15 am; edited 2 times in total
keven108

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the kronos 2, but it sounds like you have to authorize the new sound libraries that come with it. Perhaps someone here can tell you how to do that. The sound libraries will fade in and out until they're authorized.
Yubby67

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply - Everything is registered and authorized properly. I've double-checked that. When those few programs go silent (and it's only sporadic) they stay silent until I change the program.

It seems to me like an all notes off command is being triggered somehow. I know it's not an issue with those libraries. I've used them extensively on my other Kronos and the have been using ksounds products for probably 10 years.

I'll troubleshoot it some more over the next few days and see if I can narrow it down to the problem happening only in Set List mode vs. Program mode.
keven108

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I'm stumped then. Not sure what that would be.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the sliders. There is one labeled Master. Depending on what mode the panel is set to, that can control the volume. If it is set physically low, it's possible vibration can cause it to "move" slightly, enough to drop the volume. Changing programs resets the volume to what it was stored at.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like you receive a control channel message 7 with value 0 during your play,
- are you playing along midi files that could contain these kind of messages?
- or do you have another keyboard attached to the kronos (midi in) which could sent those control changes?
- or do you have your iPad connected that sends those messages?

Otherwise i wouldn't know what is causing this.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other possibility, similar to Geo's suggestion: check the vector joystick.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Yubby67

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the tips on troubleshooting this problem. I looked into all the above suggestions and troubleshot the keyboard for several days and couldn't reproduce the problem again. And then I used it at 4 gigs this weekend and still no problems. So i guess it's OK.
Dave Very Happy
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick fix if it happens again:

Press the COMPARE button.

That should restore the original volume, and is quicker than selecting another program/combi then coming back to it.
Zikerstu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem on my 88. Only happened while playing on a piano voice. I was unable to contact anyone at Korg and ended up sending it back in exchange for a new one from where I purchased it. So far so good but I never figured out why the sound cut out, maybe loose ram boards?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: