Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca FM - background hum
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
effemm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I opened the Volca FM and connected a cable to the built-in speaker to create a direct line-out. The noise and interferences coming from this direction are even worse. So it must be coming somewhere from the circuit board. Not sure I want to go that far and totally dissassemble it.

So as long as there is this kind of noise coming from the unit I categorise it:
TOY.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every single one of the Volcas produces low level background noise. It's expected of low-cost hardware, but for the record, they actually all sound much quieter than any of the vintage gear I own. I just use noise reduction and a touch of reverb during the mastering process and it all just vanishes within the mix. If you can't handle the noise, Dexed is a great free FM softsynth out there right now. I like to use that when I'm away from my home set up.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
effemm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not talking about some background noise. I am talking about interferences. Someone in another topic suggested it might come from the display. Whatever...

I have a DX-100, a CZ-101 and a TX81z and regardless of some background noise (with which I can absolutely live by the way), in no way they produce interferences like the Volca does. So please mind, I am not talking about some hiss or buzzing. I am talking about interferences...

I do not expect anything like that even from low-cost hardware. What's the reasoning here? " Oh yes, we built in some extra noise, cause we sell it so cheap". I didn't get it because it was cheap, I got it because I love FM and was hoping for a new way to look at and work with it. And I would have paid double the price.

Having said all that:
Besides this I love the workflow. I don't even mind the missing velocity via midi like others do. This is a peculiarity I can work with in a creative way and it opens up a new way of thinking as you have to control it with a slider. I think that's great. I also don't mind the way of programming your sounds within the unit. Everyone who ever worked with an original FM-unit knows that workflow to some extent and you either hate it or love it. I love it.
StormJH1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. My FM arrives next week, so I'll watch for that, but I definitely notice some background noise with the other Volcas I have. I briefly owned an Arturia MicroBrute, and it was every bit as bad, if not worse. (Plus, the Volcas seem to be pitch stable more quickly). Expected with this level of hardware, though the OP's issue seems to be more of a true glitch or manufacturing defect.
effemm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was relatively easy to fix this problem the Microbrute had. I had one, too, and just had to open it and move some of the cables around as they were too close to some other parts which resulted in the interference.

Not sure yet what the reason for the interference is here...
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey effemm are you sayin that mixed with other instruments you can't make VFM an element of your arrangement ,noise inc. ?
That sounds like a fault.
BTW I've not used VolcaFM yet.
holmes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is about the Volca FM in particular, but I'd like to know, are all the Volcas really this noisy.

I recently got a Volca Sample and the background noise floor (independent of master volume) with headphones and built in speaker is quite bad, to the point that I don't think I can work with it with headphones. I don't think I've ever had a piece of gear that was this noisy. The built in speaker has a very noticeably loud constant hiss. Line out directly into a mixer etc. isn't as bad.

Are some units just worse that others, or are they all this noisy?
Pigdog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: volca fm noise Reply with quote

i get noise/fuzz when i get thicker bass tones. not through my headphones tho. only through my board. a noise reducer pedal is working good so far. then again , im always looking for an excuse to play with pedals.
demuxe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

effemm wrote:
And I had some extra noise coming from a Microbrute. I just had to open the unit and shift one of the cables a bit and it was gone

If I had unexpectedly loud noise from more than one instrument, I'd make sure the root cause isn't in the local environment. Electric interferences are always possible, and they're hard to trace down.
Did you try moving to a different location and checking your Volca there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: