Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi/Audio interface

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fadi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Midi/Audio interface Reply with quote

Dear professionals, good day
I have noticed that there is a new Korg PlugKEY "mobile misi/audio" on Korg website. I tried several times to buy it. But, i couldn't.
Did somebody have a clear information about the availability for that new interface. It will help me a lot.

Thanks, regards
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a brand new product and not widely available yet. To me it offers nothing much new that hasn't already been covered by Irig midi devices. Something like Roland Duo Capture Ex looks better to me which does digital audio as well. I'm still waiting for a small device that accepts USB midi (rather than 5 pin din midi) as so many keyboards don't have 5 pin anymore. the only one I know that does this is the iConnectAudio4+ which has a USB host port but it's a bit big and quite expensive.
At the moment I just use a powered hub plus the Apple USB 3 adaptor which also allows charging while in use but I want to use a voice app Harmony Voice with a microphone but this is where I need digital audio input as well.
I was disappointed the new Irig pro duo doesn't take USB midi.
fadi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Hi Reuben Reply with quote

My problem is,
I have a KORG PA2X and I'm not using iRig keyboard. I tried many times to connect my PA2X to the IPad but i couldn't.
I like to play on my keyboard with Garage Band sounds.
I think that midi interface will give me what I'm looking for because I have 5 pin midi ports.

I hope to find it soon in the markets.
thanks Reuben
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fadi,
Most of the newer Irig devices will accept any 5 pin midi - it doesn't need to be an Irig keyboard. Same goes for Roland, Focusrite, Steinberg and iConnect products. My Pa3x will connect to an iPad via the USB B port and Camera connector (USB 3) kit from Apple. If the Pa2x does midi via the rear USB B port (if it has one) this would be the simplest option.
Cheers,
John
Once you get it working you might like to check out some free sounds from my site.
https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/
fadi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Hi John Reply with quote

John, could you tell me please how can I get the sound output in case I connect my PA2X to irig midi 2 device?

" from the IPAD itself. 3.5 inch or from the irig misi 02" and in both cases what will give me better sound quality?

thanks John
fadi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Sorry for typing mistakes Reply with quote

I'm sorry for typing mistakes. What i need to know is How to get the better sound output. Will it be from the IPAD or the irig midi 02
Steinberger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I need to, I use the new Apple CCK that allows charging, iConnect Mio cable that allows both MIDI Input and Output and a stereo mini-jack cable out of the phone jack. The KORG unit is limited and bulky.
fadi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Hi Steinberger, I still have a big question Reply with quote

Since it was possible to connect the keyboard direct to the Ipad via Camera connection kit. Now, What is the use of any midi interface?

What is the difference between two types of those connections?
a. Connect via CCK
b. Use irig or any midi interface

thanks
regards,
FADI
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fadi,
There is no point in connecting the Korg to an iPad unless the iPad has a music app loaded to play. Same goes for an irig midi keyboard it makes no sounds of its own but you need an app like garage band, bs-16i, iGrand, Korg Module etc. To hear the sound you must use the iPad or phone audio headphone out jack. The bs-16i app will play any soundfont sf2 file you might come across on the net including my sounds mentioned above. Hope I understand your questions. Just remember you can't send sounds through midi connections only data that can make another device play them.
Irig midi 2 interface has no audio out but irig pro duo and iConnect, and some other devices do so you can plug your audio into the device rather than headphone jack.
fadi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Hi John, Reply with quote

Thanks for your clarification. I got the point.
My question is:
Why should I use midi interface if I can connect my Pa2x direct to the Ipad with garageband using CCK?
Is there any benifits?
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided you use USB midi you don't need anything other than the CCK. If you are using a keyboard that draws too much power you also need a simple powered USB hub.
Cheers
fadi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Hi John, Reply with quote

John, good day. I have downloaded some free sound fonts from a link you provided. Could you please tell me how can I listen to them because they are in one file. So, i need to install a free software to play them on my computer "Windows".

Can I have some recommendations please,
thanks
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fadi,
The easiest way to play would be with iPad/iPhone app bs-16i but if you want to use a Windows PC you will need one or two pieces of software.
You can install a new General Midi Soundfont using free software Coolsoft VirtualMIDIsynth.
To play Soundfonts or VSTi's using a midi keyboard you will need some sort of DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software. You could try the free one called LMMS.
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: