Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe 2 Petition help
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Electribe 2 Petition help Reply with quote

If anyone wants to contribute to the wording on the petition, please do so in this thread.

This is the petition wording that I have so far:

Help make an update for the New Electribes a priority for Korg Inc.

The Korg Electribe series is a Digital analog modeling synthesizer was first produced in 1999. Through the years, the Electribe series helped define an entire generation of dance music. The Electribe 2 and Electribe 2 Sampler are digital Music Production Stations that were released in 2014. They were created using Korg’s latest modelling technology, have an effect for every part, polyphony and velocity–sensitive drum pads. With this release, fans of the Electribe series were hopeful that the new instrument would live up to the legacy that the predecessor established.

Unfortunately, upon release, some important features were missing. While several of these issues have been addressed in previous updates, there still remains a substantial list of issues and improvements to address. With the latest update in June of 2016, none of the issues were addressed. With the previous update in November of 2015, only a few of the issues were addressed and the user community is recommending improvements to bring the instrument into the realm of “true professional equipment.”

Many Electribe 2 owners are frustrated in this lack of functionality that has led to a problematic workflow, hindered features, and the inability for some to complete their work.

These are the current issues and problems:

Voice Stealing: Unfortunately, even when no fx and no polyphony is activated on the unit, just 10-11 tracks can play simultaneously without voice stealing. This needs to be fixed.
Note cutoff on pattern change: When switching patterns, the notes from the previous pattern are cut-off. This causes issues with the "live playing" capability that the units were designed for.
Attack bug: There is an error in sound playback on the attack in some situations.
Knob (filter) improvements: There is a significant amount of "jumping" when trying to adjust the knobs in small increments. This could be improved with improved tracking of the knobs, or greater resolution of the filters.
Re-triggering glitch: There is an evident click-glitch sound of poly mode and pcm sounds when re-triggering notes. This needs to be fixed.
Song mode is lacking: One of the greatest features of the predecessor (older electribes) was the ability to create entire songs by setting the unit to automatically play patterns in a specific order to build a complete song. These new models need this feature.

These are the current recommended improvements:

Revise the arpeggiator to include Up/down, random, and scales.
Pads should blink in Mute mode.
Send CC automation values to MIDI out.
Decay and release could be separated (for release press shift).
Make the step sequence menu circular so you can left arrow from the on / off screen to the velocity screen.
Unit should have synced step jump so it stays in time on release.
Pre listening before loading samples.
Add the ability to loop individual bars.
Add the option for per part play speed - allow a single part to be played at half speed / quarter speed or other option.
When changing a parameter the display should show if the current value isn't the original value anymore (like on the EMX/ESX).
For the E2 have the step edit for Oscillator edit just like in the E2S.
All Step Jump actions and changes recorded and reflected in the sequencer in NORMAL record mode.
Set velocity numerically for each part; 1-127.
The units should have the ability to chain patterns together.
In Mute mode press/hold the Mute button to select tracks/pads.
Visual display of scales and chords played on part.
Add the ability to be able to enter notes or chords in sequencer mode.
Add the ability for streaming of samples directly from the SD card (potentially increase sample memory).
Add the option for MIDI local on/off and/or midi thru.
Revise display screen to display more information (knob values, FX info, etc) - minimum waveform representation on the screen - for quick editing.
Direct access to editing various modifications/parameters of each step.
Add the ability to copy/paste bars/notes around the whole machine.
Add step record function (step note entry).
Add the ability to copy chords and notes in step edit.
BPM LFO's should be parameterized by musical values.
MIDI channel choice per part (should allow part layering).
Add the ability for per part MFX send level.
Add the ability to be able to assign the X-Y pad to do different things and save that with each Pattern.
On-board Graphical Sample Editor (similar to Gadget-Bilbao).
Add a timestretch function.
Improve the step sequencer by using the track pad to enter gate and velocity.
Key transpose in sequencer mode.
Follow the playback position on the pads.

+the below received only 1 vote - considering removal+
For the Sampler; when in time slice edit when you have selected 16 slices or less you should be given access to an additional menu options that gives you the option to set all of these slices as parts in a pattern. (needs revision)
Shift + MFX Send should show MFX Send for tracks on the pads (like track mute mode).
Add MIDI start/sync for event recorder and to loop.
Holding Shift+Part Erase erases EVERYTHING, not just the pad you hold.
MIDI receive/transmit ON/OFF per part.
Display the steps in the Step Jump mode.
Make transposing of whole parts easier.
Add the ability to nudge notes.
Add the ability to enter MIDI notes via an external MIDI keyboard in the Sequencer mode.
Record Mute on/off.
Replace the main filter and resonance with the IFX versions.
Add a hold feature for the gate arp.
Add the ability to be able to program the mfx all the same for each pattern (or master FX lock).
Realtime MIDI LFO to pitch, velocity, length value, or motion events.
Add a preference to control the metronome volume.
Add the ability to regulate send level of each trigger to Master FX.
When Scale and Key mode is selected have it over ride pitch knob edits thus making the pitch knob always in key and in scale.
Timeslices to be loopable on the E2S as it was on the ESX with 1/30 of a second being repeated.

And these I think are too specific (but are still here because they got 1 vote):
Pattern re-arrangement software to make moving of groups of patterns easier.
For the electribe2 to be able to load a file named e2Analog.all containing Analog OSCs created by a VA software editor.
Add all the filters that are on the Electribe 2 to the Electribe 2 sampler.
Add the ability to carryover mutes between patterns.
Add the ability to export a pattern to a .wav file on the Electribe 2.
Add the ability to set a specific time for the sampler to record for.

Sign this petition to help make the Electribe 2 and Electribe 2 sampler updates a priority for Korg, Inc. We are requesting that they address the problems with additional updates so we can make the most of this incredible machine.

Please feel free to contribute suggestions for any wording fixes (including re-writing the entire thing if you feel you can do it better, as I have zero "emotional" investment with the above text). Also, please let me know if I missed any important items. Unfortunately, we may not be able to please or accommodate everybody.
Korg Electribe 2 Sampler, Keith McMillen Instruments K-Mix, Korg Volca Bass, Cyclone Analogic TT-303, Novation Ultranova, Roland System-1, Roland JP-08 Boutique, Roland SH-201, Focusrite Saffire PRO 14, Korg Gadget v3 on iPad Air, Reason 10 on ZenBook Pro
h.vel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all: well written! Smile
I'll post some detailed thoughts later.
DR.DR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cade - thank you for your work.

I suggest consolidating all of the step sequencer votes in the "recommended improvements" to the top of the list (issues and problems.) Step sequencer and step record aren't the same thing, but if one of them didn't suck the other might not be needed.

Make the step sequence menu circular so you can left arrow from the on / off screen to the velocity screen.
Improve the step sequencer by using the track pad to enter gate and velocity.
Add step record function (step note entry).

Could instead be:

"Improve the step sequencer as the current workflow is clunky and easily remedied. At minimum, make the step sequence menu circular so you can left arrow from the on / off screen to the velocity screen. Far better, use the track pad to enter gate and velocity in the sequencer mode (front panel) without menu diving. A last alternative would be to implement a step record function as was present in previous Electribes."

Somebody who had an old electribe - there was step record, right? I read it here.....

Last edited by DR.DR on Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all your hard work!!

My only suggestion is to remove "the inability for some to complete their work". A bad workman blames his tools etc...

Other than that I think it reads very well...

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
Loudest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think that
-Add the Ability to copy / paste bars / notes around the whole machine.
&
-Add the Ability to copy chords and notes in step edit.

are more or less the same...

I prefer the wording of the first sentence (which covers everything)

Other than that, everything else is perfect
good job, man!

I totally agree for the section that seems too "specific".
I also agree to move all the requests concerning the step sequencer to the top of this list
in fact, all the requests that are directly linked to the workflow must be on top

Haha they have a lot of work to do!!....
only software improvement but still ...
(the work they should have done from the start Twisted Evil )

Let's wait the summer NAMM though... Rolling Eyes
jpeg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is too much info, imo

I would of thought that the voting process would narrow it down to the key 5 or 10 aspect to be fixed or improved.
Sulfur

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Electribe 2 Petition help Reply with quote

Cade wrote:

And these I think are too specific (but are still here because they got 1 vote):
Pattern re-arrangement software to make moving of groups of patterns easier.

I hope you won't take it as rude or polemical.
It's for sure too specific to ask for the development of a software and unreasonable too, but in my original idea this was no more than an alternative option to the request of a simple way to move patterns around (meaning that the other patterns would change position accordingly) avoiding the normal overwriting behaviour and the need to move (i.e. rewrite) all the following patterns manually in advance. So, I don't think that asking for an internal option (as was the core of my original request) would be more specific than other requests or than other options already implemented in the Electribe. As usual it's just my opinion and it seems that I'm the only one needing this feature too. Democracy wins and it's evident that if all 1 vote features will be removed from the petition, this will fly away with them as well.

Since I didn't tell before, thank you for your effort in this cause.
Loudest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for everything related to the management of patterns, samples..etc.
we should just ask they release an SDK as they have done for the Volca Sample
this would allow us to have good tools created by users
Cade

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DR.DR - great idea I truly appreciate the help and concise suggestion. Hoping I can consolidate other fixes as well.

@apapdop - good call Embarassed I will change it to: "Many Electribe 2 owners are frustrated in this lack of functionality that has led to a problematic workflow and hindered features."
but want to change it to "Many Electribe 2 owners are frustrated in this lack of functionality that has led to a problematic workflow, hindered features, and created disappointed customers."
Crying or Very sad

@Loudest
- 1 thanks I kept the 1st one. moving step seq. portion to top (& workflow) 2 I think that is a good call (release SDK), but don't know how to present the option without Korg feeling insulted. (If you're not going to fix it, LET US!)

@jpeg
- I agree. Hopefully, this is what this thread will aid with: Refining the petition.

@Sulfur - no worries Cool (polemical? good one, had to look that up) +Rep . I'm on the fence about recommending that Korg create a program for pattern management. I'm not trying to take away from the usefulness of pattern management software, but not entirely sure Korg would do anything about it. Evil or Very Mad I am hoping that there will be a user-created pattern manager similar to the sample managers available for Win and iOS.
Also, it would only make a feature that is possible (agreed, relatively cumbersome) a bit easier. Think

Great suggestions. Thanks. I'm changing "click-glitch sound of poly mode and pcm sounds" to "digital click or pop at the beginning of the sound (synths and samples)" I appreciate, and will try to incorporate, any and all suggestions or comments. Honestly the lowest 50+ will likely be removed at some point.

Note: In order not to clog this thread, I have a master that I am working on, and I will post that with the changes when the petition is significantly different.
Korg Electribe 2 Sampler, Keith McMillen Instruments K-Mix, Korg Volca Bass, Cyclone Analogic TT-303, Novation Ultranova, Roland System-1, Roland JP-08 Boutique, Roland SH-201, Focusrite Saffire PRO 14, Korg Gadget v3 on iPad Air, Reason 10 on ZenBook Pro
mihata

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cade, thank you again for your efforts. great suggestions from everyone too.

I have a simple idea for the backstory of the petition, we could explain in a more detailed manner about the emergence of the hack and how the latter efforts in releasing the firmware were consequently focused in blocking the hack instead of developing the machine as a form of "punishment" from korg and how because of the few people who made the hack now everyone is suffering. I would say we stress a bit more on the way they ignore people on social media when asking about development and in general to enforce the story of a big corporation not giving a s**t about people and only focused on profit (sad but true in this case). We can also underline a bit more about the hardware problems as well and that the FW update is the minimum that should be done to compensate customers ( I have returned my E2 twice because of hiss noise and sunken pads).

Think about the people who should sign the petition - one would think "problems of entitlement" and "spoiled consumers" - that's why we need a bit more emphasis on the "unjust", "big vs small"

Thank you all
Loudest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cade wrote:
@Loudest I think that is a good call (release SDK), but don't know how to present the option without Korg feeling insulted. (If you're not going to fix it, LET US!)

Thank you Cade.

You're right

but if I allowed myself to say that, it's because that is what they did for Volca Sample
So this is a solution that does not seem to trouble them (maybe it even suits them...)

http://www.korg.com/in/news/2014/1118/

in any case
in the end
it has spawned some great tools for this little beast (since they was created by real users ....)
Smile
thesigma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mihata wrote:
Cade, thank you again for your efforts. great suggestions from everyone too.

I have a simple idea for the backstory of the petition, we could explain in a more detailed manner about the emergence of the hack and how the latter efforts in releasing the firmware were consequently focused in blocking the hack instead of developing the machine as a form of "punishment" from korg and how because of the few people who made the hack now everyone is suffering. I would say we stress a bit more on the way they ignore people on social media when asking about development and in general to enforce the story of a big corporation not giving a s**t about people and only focused on profit (sad but true in this case). We can also underline a bit more about the hardware problems as well and that the FW update is the minimum that should be done to compensate customers ( I have returned my E2 twice because of hiss noise and sunken pads).

Think about the people who should sign the petition - one would think "problems of entitlement" and "spoiled consumers" - that's why we need a bit more emphasis on the "unjust", "big vs small"

Thank you all

I don't think the hack has anything to do with it. The changes they made to block it probably took less than 15 minutes to code.....

Also they don't really have a history of updating firmware more than once or twice. ESX got an update that added the "Play Level" to deal with an issue with resampling.

I still think the pettition has the best chance if it focuses on "bug fixes". It should be expected that the device works as advertised, and does what they claim it would do.

Sure throw in a few suggestions for improvement, but they should be reasonably doable. Voting from the huge dreamlist maybe isn't the best way to accomplish this, as peoples "Most Desired" features may not be the ones that can be implemented without a major re-write of the software or possibly at all. this is a low end product and they just arent going to keep pouring dev time into it ad infinitum.....

Things like circular menus, and some step entry improvements, and LCD screen improvements would likeley be easy to implement.

Korg gear I've used extensively:
M1, Triton Pro-x 88, SG-1D, NanoPad, NanoKontrol
MaartenNl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said it on another topic, but there is still a big that when you in the menu, groove depth for example, you can't tweak the value while tweaking the cutoff, because when the cutoff value is shown it overides the menu completely. Maybe things like groove depth and others weren't designed to use live, but the are for sure nice to be tweaked, especially for snare rolls. But you can't increase / decrease both groove depth and any other value.. You have to wait till the value disappears or press exit.
Cade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mihata wrote:
... edit... . I would say we stress a bit more on the way they ignore people ... focused on profit (sad but true in this case)... the FW update is the minimum that should be done to compensate customers ( I have returned my E2 twice because of hiss noise and sunken pads).
...edit...
Thank you all

I understand your frustration, but in my opinion this petition is not the place.

Loudest wrote:
...edit...
but if I allowed myself to say that, it's because that is what they did for Volca Sample
So this is a solution that does not seem to trouble them (maybe it even suits them...)
...edit...
Smile

I totally agree that SDK release for the E2 and E2s should happen if the fixes aren't addressed, but not entirely sure that we need to point Korg in that direction. Confused
Loudest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Cade

OK
I see what you mean Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: