Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KingKorg vacuum tube lifespan and keyboard quality

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffersonX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: KingKorg vacuum tube lifespan and keyboard quality Reply with quote

Hi there! I am purchasing a KingKorg and there is something I am thinking about: vacuum tube durability. Reading KK owner's manual there is a part about vacuum tube's lifespan. I am afraid it would damage in the future and its price for repairing could be high.

I guess that is why KingKorg it's not a great success. People should be afraid of that is expensive to repair this possible problem. I am buying this keyboard planning to keep it for some years. So this possible repair cost is annoying me...

Is there anyone who has KingKorg vacuum tube damaged?

And how about KingKorg issues? There is any common problem (keybed, leds, power supply, etc)? I loved KingKorg sounds and features. So I'm buying it instead a Nord Lead 2x (I've found a new one on a store! Could you believe that ? haha )

Best wishes!

Last edited by JeffersonX on Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I haven't heard about any problems about the tube's durability. It works well, it's a brilliant feature and improves the sound beautifully. Of course, you have to take care of your synth as usual. KK is light and easy to carry (another plus) so if you move it frequently, get a hard case or at least the nice soft case from Korg, made for Krome 61.

I don't know about any other issues, either.

What do you mean by KK is not a great success? It sounds really great, delivers what is promised and more: you need time to explore because it's very versatile.

I would change one thing, the keybed, to a semi-weighted one with aftertouch, but it's just my personal taste and not a technical issue at all.

In my opinon, KK is reliable and lovely. It is not perfect - but neither we are. Wink
JeffersonX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply!

Sounds good to me. I've received many good feedback from other KK owners like yours.

When I say it is not a great success I mean it is not as popular as it could be. It is an amazing keyboard. But I can't find many information and people using it on YouTube. Probably because it is for a specific public who looks for a VA.

Mine arrived at home yesterday. I'm enjoying my KK a lot. Very fun and powerful sounds. The vacuum tube is really good. It transforms sounds like leads in fat and aggressive sounds.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A generic 12AX7 tube isn't expensive at all, though I don't know how easy it is to reach/replace in the KK. I can tell you my Triton Extreme tube is still going strong and nowhere near needing replacement. Generally speaking, the tube doesn't have to work very hard at all compared to, say, a guitar amp.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffersonX wrote:
...I can't find many information and people using it on YouTube.

Yes, KingKORG doesn’t seem to be very common on YouTube, if that matters, but fortunately there are no videos about any problems, either. Here on this forum it has a usual traffic (like for MS20 or SV-1) which is not much.

Recently we have more and more synths to choose from, which is very good but also a bit “bad” because it makes it harder and harder to decide…

Congratulations to your synth! If you don't know them, check:

- two additional great & free soundbanks from Korg,
- PatchMorpher, the unique editor for iPad,
- and this incredible solo from 5’00”.
JeffersonX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akos Janca thank you for your suggestions. I'm sure it will help me a lot. I watched this solo before I get my KingKorg. Simply amazing!

Yesterday I played my KK at studio. Man, what a great synth it is! Fat sounds and aggressive. My style is Metal, so this VA will be perfect for adding analog sounds and leads.

I also publish some covers on my YouTube channel. I hope I can publish some videos playing my KingKorg as soon as I can!

I invite you to visit it Wink

https://youtube.com/jeffersonhenriquex

SanderXpander
Good to know that. Now I am not afraid of the tube lifespan and substation. In a fast search on Google I could see it is not expensive. A guy on KingKorg Facebook group has told me he opened his KK and saw it is not hard to change the tube, just a few screws to access it.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have the same tube in my Triton Extreme, which I have used for about 7 years very regularly and last years occasionally. It is still working.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JeffersonX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers good to know it! Triton Extreme is an amazing workstation. I remember the first time I saw it. Was a video with Jordan Rudess playing a Triton Extreme. Amazing sounds and this blue vacuum tube in its rear looks very beautiful.

I guess KORG is the only company that use it on keyboards, isn't it?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffersonX wrote:
michelkeijzers good to know it! Triton Extreme is an amazing workstation. I remember the first time I saw it. Was a video with Jordan Rudess playing a Triton Extreme. Amazing sounds and this blue vacuum tube in its rear looks very beautiful.

I guess KORG is the only company that use it on keyboards, isn't it?

Afaik, they are the only ones (at least in keyboards). There are some guitar amps using a tube as pre-'drive'.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JeffersonX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually KORG uses vacuum tube in KingKorg and SV-1. In the past it was used in Triton Extreme. Isn't it?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffersonX wrote:
Actually KORG uses vacuum tube in KingKorg and SV-1. In the past it was used in Triton Extreme. Isn't it?

It was indeed used in the Extreme, under the name Valve Force if I remember correctly.

noguud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had my KK cracked open yesterday because I had a key popped up out of place that needed to be repaired. The key popping up was not from normal use, it was an accident where unfortunately the KK was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Shocked

Anyway, besides removing a bunch of screws on the bottom, I don't think it would be that hard to access the tube. I didn't bother. Once the bottom cover was off, there were 6 screws to pull the keybed, pop the key back in place, and I was back in business. Thankfully!

Anyway, it is a great unit in my opinion. And while very lightweight, seems pretty well put together. Have fun with it and welcome to the club!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The valves don't seem to be at all unreliable, else there would be a lot more postings on this forum, and elsewhere about this topic. Valves, operated conservatively, which these are, tend to run for years and years without problems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: