Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi Controllers and notation software newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clearly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Midi Controllers and notation software newbie Reply with quote

I cannot find a good sub-forum to ask about this, so I'm tossing the hook out here and hoping someone can give me advice.

I've recently began composing, and am using a friend's copy of Sibelius and a Finale trial to decide which to purchase. I'm currently leaning toward Sibelius, but that's neither here nor there. I only bring this up because, as of yet, I do not own a copy of either and cannot ask in THEIR forums without a registered license.

I own a Korg Kronos. I have wired it through USB into my PC, which is a top of the line gaming machine, so it's pretty powerful. I worked out the latency by purchasing an ASIO and note input as I play has been a DREAM.

The Issue:

When I try to playback what I've entered on the computer, it seems as though Sibelius is trying to access the Kronos sound library, and failing miserably. The piano part will play, but that's it. No strings, no horns, nothing else. When I unplug the keyboard, it will default back to the Microsoft GS wavetable synth, which I'd just keep as default, but when I do . . . the korg will not speak to my computer.

The big question

Do I need a dedicated midi controller? Something USB direct that has no library, that instead uses the sibelius library by default instead of failed attempts to access my Kronos? Or is this just my own ignorance/newness and something that can be troubleshooted by sibelius once I've purchased the program myself and have their technical expertise?

Follow up

If I do need a dedicated midi controller, any suggestions? I'd lean toward a larger size probably.

A few extra details

Yes, I have installed the Kronos drivers that, while it has allowed my kronos to interact with the composition software, is causing miscommunication by Sibelius trying to play from the Kronos library and failing.

Lastly, my apology

I am SO new to digital. I'm classically trained, have never attempted composition, content with playing the great works from centuries past. Everything I've ever done in my life has been accoustic, so this question is probably beneath so many of you. So I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, and I'm sorry if this is completely the wrong place to be asking. I just don't know where else to go. Perhaps you'll have a suggestion on where I should be asking these questions instead.

And thank you for reading my long winded post, if you made it through
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth asking this question in the Kronos section of this forum.

Have you tried using any other software capable of MIDI control?

amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for your Issue:
in Kronos global set bank select method to GM/GM2

Put Kronos in sequencer mode, and do a GM initialize.

now play the sequence in your software

See if that helps.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: