Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Undocumented Feature: Load Kontakt Instruments on Kronos!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Undocumented Feature: Load Kontakt Instruments on Kronos! Reply with quote

Today whilst playing around with loading some samples on my Kronos Icame across a feature I never knew existed - apparently it's possible to load some Kontakt instruments (NKIs) directly on the Kronos and convert them into User Banks!

Firstly, a word of warning - as far as I'm aware, this is an undocumented feature and I experienced a fair amount of funky behaviour when using it. I've had about a 50% success rate with it so far.

To start the import process, use Disk mode to select an NKI file to load:

A prompt will be presented asking where you want to store the resultant combinations and programs. There are also three additional options - Pack, Overlap and Parameter. I don't really know what these options do, but Overlap seemed to clear previously loaded samples.

You'll then be asked to specify the directory containing the samples. I tried both wav and ncw files, and only had success with wav files. Protected samples aren't supported.

The result should then be one or more programs, as well as a User Sample Bank created in the directory containing the nki file. In some cases I found that the program didn't correctly reference the user bank, but this was easily fixed.

So far I have tried this using OS 3.0.4 on four different free Kontakt libraries and had success with two of them. It mostly seemed to be the larger, more complex ones that failed.

Anyway, hope this is of some use and perhaps someone with more experience with Kontakt can do some more testing to see how well it works Smile
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One

Last edited by SeedyLee on Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice!

definitely undocumented, i had no idea this was possible. Thanks for sharing this with us Smile
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW: Grreat!!!!

btw in case you don't know you can also load the Korg multisamples (kmp files) into Kontakt. Very Happy Very Happy

Hint: Try Saving instrument (ncw) in kontact and make sure you select patch + samples option. Where possible kontakt will write the samples to disk as wav or aiff.

This will make it very easy for bringing timesliced loops into kronos.
(I have asked and am waiting for chicken systems to add that midi export feature to korg creator, but if this works out then it's as good)
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried a few nki files, didn't work for me Sad
everything did show up but no files were written or program created.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh... Definitely have to try this.
coyote144
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitively to be tried, but great, great new, even as a beta-hidden feature. Cool Cool Cool
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were ready for prime-time, then I'm sure Korg would be actively promoting it. Still, it gives some insight into what might be in store for us in the future, and if you have a Kontakt library to convert across it's still worth giving it a try before attempting other methods.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very good find indeed, I'll revisit it later, maybe I was doing something wrong. Agree that if Korg and Kronos Opens up for some other formats (sfz, nki, exs , giga..) it will be a huge plus.

I am in the process of converting some of my old Sampler Content discs to Kronos (thanks to Garth/Jeff at chicken systems for taking care of the critical bugs off korg creator). Kontakt is already a major part of my workflow, so every bit helps.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume it will only load Kontakt files if the base samples are WAVs, and not NI's proprietary (and protected) NKX format.

Great to know though. I'll give it a try later today
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only had success getting it to work with WAV files. I had success with loading Pettinhouse's free guitar library, as well as a speak-and-spell sample set, but experienced failures with 8dio's free Glass Marimba and Impact Soundworks' free Stroh Violin pack, both of which had a large number of samples.

amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might just be kontakt version issue for the nki's as I use version 5
methusala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean that any 3rd party sample library that is on Kontakt with a nki file can potentially be brought into the K? There are 100's of them. The reverse of this is, why would you want to when you use them on your DAW anyway?

Patrick
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errrrr to use them live?!
Would be a huge boon to me.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

methusala wrote:
why would you want to when you use them on your DAW anyway?

The Kronos IS my DAW Smile

EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this will work for NKIs saved in Kontakt BEFORE version 4.2, when the NKI file format completely changed (and NI didn't document it at all, so no 3rd parties can create any tools for creating or loading those files).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: