Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe 2S Red
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbvdb493

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.02 Reply with quote

diallo wrote:
I just loaded 2.02 and set up chaining. it works lovelyly. I set up one pattern to play 2x and chain to another, hit save then go to the other pattern set that up to play 1x and chain back to the former pattern, hit save... play.. its a perfect update...

I still haven't found how to do the return to saved state but the undo is easy to do.

Thanks Korg people, much appreciated.

So you could repeat 2 patterns making them 8 bars long?
h.vel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2.02 Reply with quote

jbvdb493 wrote:

Yes, also 16, 32, 64... bar patterns are imaginable! Very Happy

This was a small but very effective update. If 2-3 updates like this will follow, for shure the E2 will be interesting for much more people.
NickZoll

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: 2.02 Reply with quote

h.vel wrote:
jbvdb493 wrote:

Yes, also 16, 32, 64... bar patterns are imaginable! Very Happy

This was a small but very effective update. If 2-3 updates like this will follow, for shure the E2 will be interesting for much more people.

I wonder if possible to make the second repetition a bit different compare to the first one?
Otherwise it does not really matter 4,8 or 16, it is still just repeated 4 bar loop.
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CEB wrote:
I am trying to figure out what the sample length limits are on the new Electribe Sampler. The specifications say 270 seconds regardless of SD card size. It that the limit for each individual sample of of all the user samples combined?

I was hoping it would be fully dynamic memory allocation like the SP404SX but 4 minutes and 30 seconds would be long enough for any of my individual one shots.

Thanks

It's total sampling time.
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2.02 Reply with quote

h.vel wrote:
Yes, also 16, 32, 64... bar patterns are imaginable!

Don't wanna rain on you party, but this is basically just a very poor man song mode.
I.e. with chain mode enabled, you'll loose your edits, mutes and knob twistings when the next pattern is retrieved from ROM for playback.

Sure, you can play a melody on top of the patterns, but still just 4 bars when recording, editing and saving to ROM.
h.vel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.02 Reply with quote

Poumtschak wrote:
h.vel wrote:

Don't wanna rain on you party, but this is basically just a very poor man song mode.
I.e. with chain mode enabled, you'll loose your edits, mutes and knob twistings when the next pattern is retrieved from ROM for playback.

Sure, you can play a melody on top of the patterns, but still just 4 bars when recording, editing and saving to ROM.

I don't think pattern chain is meant to be a song mode. It seems Korgs answer, because of the complaints that the new devices just have 4 bars (instead of 8 like EMX/ESX).

But you're right: if you want to record something on 2 patterrns which are already chained (and do not save the changes while the first pattern is playing), the changes will get lost at te moment the Electribe changes to the next pattern. But I guess this is because of the architecture (all changes which are not saved get lost on pattern change).

It's not 100% perfect. But in my case I can live with recording longer patterns (8 bars) in 2 separate steps. For my music this feature is still a game changer, because 4 bars are not enough.
Sulfur

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.02 Reply with quote

Poumtschak wrote:
h.vel wrote:

I'm going to upgrade now but this is exactly what I didn't want to hear. In fact when I gave my vote to pattern-chaining I said "82 (hoping that sound edits would be maintained on pattern change)". Unfortunately knowing how the Electribe works made it difficult to imagine something different from what it is, but in this way the pattern-chaining completely excludes the chance to build a track upon evolving sounds. You can edit them just as transitory effects.

I hope they will expand this feature capabilities. It's good to have it but at this very moment it can't be considered a real bar lenght multiplier and compel you to choose between two different limitations. What a pity.
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can hit write while the pattern chain is playing and save any edits you've made to the parameters. If you want to stop the pattern from jumping to the next chained pattern, hit the record button.

While the pattern chaining is not perfect it is a huge step up for these machines.
Sulfur

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicmagus wrote:
You can hit write while the pattern chain is playing and save any edits you've made to the parameters.

For sure you can when you're building your sounds but the edits don't reflect to the chained pattern (you can copy them later there too). Anyway this is pointless for what I meant and hope will be possible in the future. I think about a performance where you can edit your sounds at your needs through the repetition of the chained patterns as you can do with a single pattern looping. So a "real" 8 bars or more.
Damp Squid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had my first play around with the new update.
Pattern Chaining is definitely a step in the right direction, but I tend to agree with Sulfur on how useful it is (to me).
It would be great if there was an option for the chained patterns to use a common 16 parts.
Even a "mute lock" option would make it much more useful for live playing - i.e. leave the mute status of each part unchanged when the pattern changes rather than reverting to the mutes saved in the pattern.
It seems like that could be quite easy to implement in an update, even if "real 8 bars" is not.
It would be nice to see "mute lock" in the global menu alongside "tempo lock" and "pattern lock".
We can only hope that this is just the start of a long line of updates!

Still love my electribe (e2) though. I use it every day. Keeps me away from my computer!
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damp Squid wrote:
Even a "mute lock" option would make it much more useful for live playing - i.e. leave the mute status of each part unchanged when the pattern changes rather than reverting to the mutes saved in the pattern.
It seems like that could be quite easy to implement in an update, even if "real 8 bars" is not.

It seems so obvious when using the unit and yet not implemented in v2.02 that I have the intuition that the e2/e2s can hold (and render) only one pattern at a time in memory.
Hence the slight hiccup when switching pattern, the IFX/EG reset, and so forth, even tough it's much more less noticeable than it used to be 2 years ago during the infamous « electribe2 release - the prequel ».

It's most likely by design, when we'd need the unit to hold the current playing pattern and the next one in line at a time to ensure smoother transitions and edited parameter/mute/whatever remaining at their value on the next pattern. But then, that would be 8 bar mode, and this won't happen anytime soon I'm afraid.
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mute lock feature would be cool for sure.
Damp Squid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poumtschak wrote:

It seems so obvious when using the unit and yet not implemented in v2.02 that I have the intuition that the e2/e2s can hold (and render) only one pattern at a time in memory.

You could be right about the memory limitation. I hope not, but it would make sense.
Just a few additions to the midi sequencer could make the electribe into a much more powerful machine. The sequencer is almost great but mute locks, looping single bars, copy and pasting bars, having step edit stick to the selected scale, etc would make it a joy to use, instead of mildly frustrating at times. Laughing

I just hope the hardware is not too limited to accommodate a few more improvements.
We can only hope...
pauloapo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicmagus wrote:
You can hit write while the pattern chain is playing and save any edits you've made to the parameters. If you want to stop the pattern from jumping to the next chained pattern, hit the record button.

While the pattern chaining is not perfect it is a huge step up for these machines.

I don't understand yet exactly how pattern editing was implemented with chaining mode on.

Do you get edit buffers for all chained patterns? i.e. can you chain your patterns, hit record while they're running as a chain and then write both patterns with the changes made while chain mode was enabled?
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauloapo wrote:
musicmagus wrote:

I don't understand yet exactly how pattern editing was implemented with chaining mode on.

Do you get edit buffers for all chained patterns? i.e. can you chain your patterns, hit record while they're running as a chain and then write both patterns with the changes made while chain mode was enabled?

No, you can only save the current pattern.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: