Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe 2S Red
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpeg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sample management is horrible; I have not got my head my head around it.

I think the blue one looks good but the red one dont look to great, but aside from that the grey and black look better
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl23 wrote:
I was thinking of selling my e2 and getting the es2. The only thing that concerns me is the sample management. Wouldn't it be best for there to be a central sample folder and then when using a sample in a pattern and saving that pattern, the es2 creates an .all file with that patterns name.

This way each pattern has its own .all file and loads each on pattern change? Is the unit too slow to be able to do this?

If not then at least have several .all files and allow users to load chosen file.

This feature would be impossible because it would have to flush out the memory to reload new samples each time you change a pattern. I don't think the RAM can handle such a thing without there being a massive delay.

I've said this in another thread, but keep your mind locked into using "Project Files." A project file can contain the full sampling memory, plus all 250 patterns per file. With a 32GB memory card, you can back up tons of Project Files. I've been using one Project File per song with my current creative work flow.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Disastrous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-Member wrote:
sl23 wrote:
I was thinking of selling my e2 and getting the es2. The only thing that concerns me is the sample management. Wouldn't it be best for there to be a central sample folder and then when using a sample in a pattern and saving that pattern, the es2 creates an .all file with that patterns name.

This way each pattern has its own .all file and loads each on pattern change? Is the unit too slow to be able to do this?

If not then at least have several .all files and allow users to load chosen file.

This feature would be impossible because it would have to flush out the memory to reload new samples each time you change a pattern. I don't think the RAM can handle such a thing without there being a massive delay.

I've said this in another thread, but keep your mind locked into using "Project Files." A project file can contain the full sampling memory, plus all 250 patterns per file. With a 32GB memory card, you can back up tons of Project Files. I've been using one Project File per song with my current creative work flow.

This is the bit I'm struggling with. And thanks to the previous post for elaborating but I guess I'm not understanding the actual steps for working this way.

Let's say I have Song 1 that I'm working on and for the sake of convenience, let's assume it uses all 250 patterns plus the entire sample memory (so Pattern 1 is the intro, Pattern 2 the verse etc etc). Now, I go to save that by Exporting All and the electribe saves a .all file that will load it up as it was when I next power the machine on.

Now I want to work on Song 2 (woo-hoo!) and I'm sitting with the tribe powered up and the project file for Song 1 loaded. What now?

As I see it there are two options:

1). I have to start again with a blank memory card, new samples and so on and then save that as another project file.

Problem - I need multiple memory cards, or I need to take the card out and shuffle .all files around the one memory card using a computer?

There's also no way to access additional sample sets without loading a different .all file, requiring you to effectively start from scratch each time

2). I use the .all file that's already loaded and the samples already loaded but use some patterns to make Song 2

Problem - I pretty much just have the sample memory of the machine, so may as well just use a small memory card

I can't get my head round how you guys are using this effectively without a load of messing.

Id be so grateful if you could take me through a typical workflow step by step?

Thanks again!
Attik Jomin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, i’ve got a question about the chain repeat function.

If i set a pattern to chain repeat “2“ and i’m switching to another pattern by hand
before the 2nd loop of the pattern is reached, the unit switches too early to the chosen pattern.

I thought the unit would only change the pattern when the chain repeat is at the end.

Creating an 8 bar pattern with the chain mode is in this case useless for me,
i need two full loops of a pattern before switching to another pattern.

Am i doing something wrong with the chain repeat?

Thank you for your help.
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attik Jomin wrote:
Hi there, i’ve got a question about the chain repeat function.

If i set a pattern to chain repeat “2“ and i’m switching to another pattern by hand
before the 2nd loop of the pattern is reached, the unit switches too early to the chosen pattern.

I thought the unit would only change the pattern when the chain repeat is at the end.

Creating an 8 bar pattern with the chain mode is in this case useless for me,
i need two full loops of a pattern before switching to another pattern.

Am i doing something wrong with the chain repeat?

Thank you for your help.

Is chain mode on in the global menu?
Is the original pattern 4 bars long?
Have you set the pattern to chain to itself?
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disastrous wrote:
Re-Member wrote:
sl23 wrote:

This is the bit I'm struggling with. And thanks to the previous post for elaborating but I guess I'm not understanding the actual steps for working this way.

Let's say I have Song 1 that I'm working on and for the sake of convenience, let's assume it uses all 250 patterns plus the entire sample memory (so Pattern 1 is the intro, Pattern 2 the verse etc etc). Now, I go to save that by Exporting All and the electribe saves a .all file that will load it up as it was when I next power the machine on.

Now I want to work on Song 2 (woo-hoo!) and I'm sitting with the tribe powered up and the project file for Song 1 loaded. What now?

1). I have to start again with a blank memory card, new samples and so on and then save that as another project file.

Problem - I need multiple memory cards, or I need to take the card out and shuffle .all files around the one memory card using a computer?

There's also no way to access additional sample sets without loading a different .all file, requiring you to effectively start from scratch each time

2). I use the .all file that's already loaded and the samples already loaded but use some patterns to make Song 2

Problem - I pretty much just have the sample memory of the machine, so may as well just use a small memory card

I can't get my head round how you guys are using this effectively without a load of messing.

Thanks again!

Once you've filled up the machine, pop the card in the computer and move your allsample and allpattern along with any other patterns you've saved to their own folder. Name the folder something so you can remember what it is later. I place these folders outside the korg folder so there's less menu diving when loading.
Make sure you delete the extra files from the korg folder and its sub folder (samples). Leave the allsample and allpattern files if you wish.
You can save as many allsample and allpattern files as your card can hold (at least I haven't hit the limit yet).
Problem solved?
Loudest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem, precisely, is that we have to use a computer to do that.. (move a file, rename, create a folder etc.)
just small improvements in terms of file management would be a big step forward for the E2Sampler (which could be really stand-alone)

Of course we can prepare several sample-sets (.all), and even several patterns-set, upstream, on a computer,
put them in specific folders and load them when needed on the Electribe

but if we want to have the opposite workflow,
ie work from empty files that we progressively fill with samples and save them in different folders
this is not possible at present
In addition to this, there should be pre-listening directly from the SD card, (and not from the .all file already loaded...)
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loudest wrote:
The problem, precisely, is that we have to use a computer to do that.. (move a file, rename, create a folder etc.)
just small improvements in terms of file management would be a big step forward for the E2Sampler (which could be really stand-alone)

Of course we can prepare several sample-sets (.all), and even several patterns-set, upstream, on a computer,
put them in specific folders and load them when needed on the Electribe

but if we want to have the opposite workflow,
ie work from empty files that we progressively fill with samples and save them in different folders
this is not possible at present
In addition to this, there should be pre-listening directly from the SD card, (and not from the .all file already loaded...)

I totally agree that some better card management would benefit the electribe and make it more standalone friendly.
But... Until that changes we are stuck with the way it is..
You can only really work on one all sample file without throwing the sd card into the computer (takes about 30seconds) or having multiple cards to play with.
It seems there is some confusion regarding how to manage allsample files under the current method.
I was responding to these posts with some input on how to make use of the machine as it is now with my 'problem solved?' post, not a general 'how to update this box to make it as good as it can be - problem solved?' type of thing.
Attik Jomin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicmagus wrote:

Is chain mode on in the global menu?
Is the original pattern 4 bars long?
Have you set the pattern to chain to itself?

Yes, yes and yes.

If i manually switch to another pattern when the chain is at 01/02
it changes before it reaches 02/02.
Telengard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attik Jomin wrote:

That is the way it is supposed to work. You leave it playing and it will change at the end of your repeat number to the next pattern in the chain. Otherwise you are forcing it to change at the end of the current patterns bars just like it would do before this version of the OS.
Loudest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicmagus wrote:

I totally agree that some better card management would benefit the electribe and make it more standalone friendly.
But... Until that changes we are stuck with the way it is..

Yes... Unfortunately..
I really hope they have planned improvements in this area for their new "red" boxes.... Wink

Telengard wrote:
Attik Jomin wrote:

That is the way it is supposed to work. You leave it playing and it will change at the end of your repeat number to the next pattern in the chain. Otherwise you are forcing it to change at the end of the current patterns bars just like it would do before this version of the OS.

yes, I do not understand where is the problem with the pattern switching
in your example, you must simply do the switch manually during the 2nd repetition
just consider that the pattern switching is done with a "resolution" of one pattern Smile
Attik Jomin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loudest wrote:

yes, I do not understand where is the problem with the pattern switching
in your example, you must simply do the switch manually during the 2nd repetition
just consider that the pattern switching is done with a "resolution" of one pattern Smile

Yes, this "resolution" is exactly my problem, i thought maybe the chain mode
is a way to get "real" 8 bar patterns, just like i know it from the ESX.

Coming from the ESX i just find it quite comfortable to switch at the very
beginning of an 8 bar pattern to the next pattern and twiddling the knobs
for 8 bars long on the electribe and other machines chained to it.

Maybe i get this in a future OS release, the chain mode is a good step into
this direction, maybe they're developing it further.

Untill then i deal with this "4 bar resolution".

Anyway, thank you for your replies.
Disastrous

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicmagus wrote:
Disastrous wrote:
Re-Member wrote:
sl23 wrote:

Thanks again!

Once you've filled up the machine, pop the card in the computer and move your allsample and allpattern along with any other patterns you've saved to their own folder. Name the folder something so you can remember what it is later. I place these folders outside the korg folder so there's less menu diving when loading.
Make sure you delete the extra files from the korg folder and its sub folder (samples). Leave the allsample and allpattern files if you wish.
You can save as many allsample and allpattern files as your card can hold (at least I haven't hit the limit yet).
Problem solved?

That's really helpful, thank you!

So if I'm understanding this correctly, if I have multiple allsample and allpattern files in different folders, I can load those directly from the Electribe??

That's a massive help if so. I understood that all it could do was auto load whatever is in the correct place on the card, meaning to load a new set, I would need to physically swap the files around on the memory card.

Massively appreciate that info, thanks again!
sl23

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sl23 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disastrous wrote:

That's really helpful, thank you!

So if I'm understanding this correctly, if I have multiple allsample and allpattern files in different folders, I can load those directly from the Electribe??

That's a massive help if so. I understood that all it could do was auto load whatever is in the correct place on the card, meaning to load a new set, I would need to physically swap the files around on the memory card.

Massively appreciate that info, thanks again!

Yes, you've got it. No problem and good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: