Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Esx 1 Newbie Question: Reguarding the basic format of device

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mervy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Esx 1 Newbie Question: Reguarding the basic format of device Reply with quote

hello,

I have a esx 1 coming in the mail, and I would appreciate some insight on various features of the machine and how the creating process works in tandem with them.

for backround, I plan to erase all samples from the smart media card (factory or last user made) I plan to start from scratch... first, any suggestions on that stance? moving along... from what I understand, there may be old songs and patterns saved on the memory. I also undertand there are pre loaded drums and synth.

one question I have is this, if I delete all data in each different type, can I fill each slot (pattern, song, drum, synth) with my own sound. and furthermore, what are all the different types of sound data, can some types not be replaced with original work on the users part?

this is my current understanding of how to make a completely original sound.
you make patterns out of original sounds u sample from an external source). the part to keep in mind is that drum samples have their section of pads, melodic sounds have theirs and then two pads for longer samples of loops. is all of this correct?

I've been reading the Manuel, I just am a little confused on what means what, sometimes for an outsider it's all a little mysterious.

thanks for your time
thesigma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've got it all right. If you find the blank ESX file floating around the Internet and load it, you will have a completely blank machine from which to start your journey. If you can't find it I have one somewhere I can upload. I always like to start from scratch on machines like this too.

As for types of data, you have songs and patterns. Songs are just lists of patterns with a performance track over top that can record mutes, tempo changes, and knob moves. Patterns have note data, motion sequence data ( knob moves), and the actual settings of all the knobs, and tempo. I never really used song mode much myself, but it has uses.

Good luck.

Korg gear I've used extensively:
M1, Triton Pro-x 88, SG-1D, NanoPad, NanoKontrol
mervy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: one last question Reply with quote

this is something that I'll probably find out on my own, but I'm too excited. once you have a groovy ass thing going with your original patterns can you record your live deal as a song? cuz then it's seems you could better articulate your form once you got a song laid out as a song and edit from there... or is that irresponsible use of memory space and/or not possible. thanks[/img]
mervy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: oopss Reply with quote

total newbie, I already answered my question with the Manuel, the answer is yes!
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's 275 seconds of sample time in total. You record a sample, save it and it eats up a portion of this "pool". All of the different parts draw from this "pool", but you need to prep samples to use parts other than the Drum Parts. Otherwise, your Keyboard parts won't loop like a continuous oscillator when you hold the key down, and you won't see any samples available for the Stretch or Slice parts. Here's a brief rundown (from memory!) on prepping these samples:

-Stop Payback.
-Hit the "Sample Mode" button under the display, you're in Sample Mode now.
-Select your Sample for the list using the wheel....

FOR KEYBOARD PARTS:
-you need to set a loop point (I guess you don't NEED to but it won't sustain). Using the up and down arrows to the left of the unit--in Sample Mode--scroll down till you see "LoopStat". This will display a number equivalent to the samples length in, well..samples...that is to say, cycles. So it's a huge number, hold SHIFT + scroll this number to 00000. Now you'll notice when you hold down on the "keys" that the sample will loop when it reaches its end. You can SAVE THIS if you want, or try to find a more appropriate loop point. Try looking for "single cycle" samples which are very short samples that produce a continuous hum for use in your keyboard parts. They take up very little space so you can have a lot of different keyboard tones!

FOR STRETCH PARTS:
Under Sample Mode, scroll down to "StrcStep" (I think) and define a number of steps you want a sample to stretch. This is absolutely awesome for having sampled loops playback in perfect time with your tempo! 1 bar of loop = 16 steps. When you get it the way you like, SAVE IT!

FOR SLICE PARTS:
This is a little more involved. In Sample Mode and on the sample you want, hold SHIFT+hit 13(??) - the key labeled "TimeSlice" and hit it again to enter timeslice mode. It'll prep for a second, then say "10"...WTF does this mean, you ask? It's the sensitivity with which the ESX will scan for volume peaks in the sample and divide it up by this. You can raise or lower this and it'll chop your samples into different discrete chunks that you can use individually as, for example, drum hits! Or also in your Slice Part so you can mute/unmute sounds in rhythm with your beat. Good for chopping vocals! Another great thing you can do is hold SHIFT and hit a key to force it to be a hit, so you're not locked into the automatically-chosen slice points. Once you have your slices done up the way you want, WRITE to save!

Hope that helps get you started on using your own samples on the ESX!
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's 275 seconds of sample time in total. You record a sample, save it and it eats up a portion of this "pool". All of the different parts draw from this "pool", but you need to prep samples to use parts other than the Drum Parts. Otherwise, your Keyboard parts won't loop like a continuous oscillator when you hold the key down, and you won't see any samples available for the Stretch or Slice parts. Here's a brief rundown (from memory!) on prepping these samples:

-Stop Payback.
-Hit the "Sample Mode" button under the display, you're in Sample Mode now.
-Select your Sample for the list using the wheel....

FOR KEYBOARD PARTS:
-you need to set a loop point (I guess you don't NEED to but it won't sustain). Using the up and down arrows to the left of the unit--in Sample Mode--scroll down till you see "LoopStat". This will display a number equivalent to the samples length in, well..samples...that is to say, cycles. So it's a huge number, hold SHIFT + scroll this number to 00000. Now you'll notice when you hold down on the "keys" that the sample will loop when it reaches its end. You can SAVE THIS if you want, or try to find a more appropriate loop point. Try looking for "single cycle" samples which are very short samples that produce a continuous hum for use in your keyboard parts. They take up very little space so you can have a lot of different keyboard tones!

FOR STRETCH PARTS:
Under Sample Mode, scroll down to "StrcStep" (I think) and define a number of steps you want a sample to stretch. This is absolutely awesome for having sampled loops playback in perfect time with your tempo! 1 bar of loop = 16 steps. When you get it the way you like, SAVE IT!

FOR SLICE PARTS:
This is a little more involved. In Sample Mode and on the sample you want, hold SHIFT+hit 13(??) - the key labeled "TimeSlice" and hit it again to enter timeslice mode. It'll prep for a second, then say "10"...WTF does this mean, you ask? It's the sensitivity with which the ESX will scan for volume peaks in the sample and divide it up by this. You can raise or lower this and it'll chop your samples into different discrete chunks that you can use individually as, for example, drum hits! Or also in your Slice Part so you can mute/unmute sounds in rhythm with your beat. Good for chopping vocals! Another great thing you can do is hold SHIFT and hit a key to force it to be a hit, so you're not locked into the automatically-chosen slice points. Once you have your slices done up the way you want, WRITE to save!

Hope that helps get you started on using your own samples on the ESX!
mervy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Looping, assigning samples to parts, and more Reply with quote

When I sample something, the sample always goes to the drum pads, and I have yet to figure out how to make them go to the other part pads for looping creation.

How do you assign samples to individual drum parts. I have only been able to get one sample to play on all the drum part pads without cease!
thesigma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you sample in the sample menu, you need to edit the sample and save it. Then go to a pattern and assign the sample to wherever you want it there.

In the sample menu every pad will play the selected sample. If you want to use it as a stretch you must set the stretch steps, as a slice you must slice it.

Sounds like you need a manual.

Korg gear I've used extensively:
M1, Triton Pro-x 88, SG-1D, NanoPad, NanoKontrol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: