Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA4X EQ Settings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deane

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea Rikki. I'll check them out. Also, the manual, All 1000 pages of it, will probably have the answer.

Deane
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deane wrote:
Good idea Rikki. I'll check them out. Also, the manual, All 1000 pages of it, will probably have the answer.

Deane

Hi Deane,
the manual will have the answers. Sometimes you just need to know that a certain function exists, ( the video helped me realise that function still existed, just under a different button name) .
Even though I had browsed thru an online manual, I couldn't find what I was after, but afterseeing the guy use the function, it all sort of came together, and I was able to read up on it. Would help if I actually owned the keyboard,
one step at a time, slowly wearing hubby down .haha
Choosing sounds for the styles, is different than before.
Have you tried
"Style to Kbd Set". Button.
When set to flashing, it is the one that changes sounds for the variations automatically.
That's the one that is similar to the ots in PSR.
Possibly something you wouldn't use, but I would have missed it.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Bernie9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many times I have found the style too loud for the melody and adjusted the track settings to balance them with the balance knob at 12:00. My reasoning was that I could then use the balance knob more effectively to compensate for different conditions. I have since changed my mind, and just use the balance knob at around 1:00.

I also found that right hand velocity, or lack of, was partially the cause of a seeming imbalance, particularly piano. This is due to the fact that I come from an organ background playing Yamaha keyboards. Velocity can be important for expression, and the Korg's keybed is much better, but, different.

Allowing for personal preference and varying conditions, I have found the PaX4 to be remarkably good in all areas, but then, that is just my opinion.

Bernie
Hammond SK1
Dnj

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Jon for sharing, a bit rusty from my pa3x/pa900 days but...Ill be checking these settings out shortly.....
and YES I agree EQ makes a world of difference for each sound system.
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonyblues wrote:
I'm glad that you found my explanation/rational to be useful Rikki.
Yes, definitely try out my settings and let me know how you get on.
Best wishes,
Jon

Hi Jon,
Ended up with a pa4x , since we last spoke.
Wow, what a difference it has made.
Just got round to doing it.

Going to have to rebalance the volume of the tracks on some of my user styles, but worth it.
Going to try it on my pa3x next.
Thanks so much.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
mstodola

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my EQ settings on the Pa4x basically flat. The unit doesn't need much EQ to my tastes. I'm not into the exaggerated bass or the smiley face settings.
Uncle Dave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: EQ, mic settings etc Reply with quote

As soon as my summer schedule calms down (which is in about 3 weeks), I'll be replacing my PA900 with the 4X. It's just too busy right now for the distraction of anything new, as exciting as it may be. I just want to concentrate on the music and my performance for now - gear is just a tool.
(and i LOVE this great, new tool)

Here's my plan: I will use a small mixer (just as I do with the 900), but with the 4x, I plan to separate the vocals from the main mix. I make too many slight, but important changes to EQ and volume for me to use a master EQ that will affect my voice settings. The mixer I use is the little iRig MIX (made for ios DJs) - it's low profile, quiet and inexpensive. My routing will be as follows:

iRig #1) all MP3 files - these need tweaking throughout the night to normalize volume, punch up EQ etc - I'm always adjusting something to improve blend
iRig #2) my mic - gives me the added benefit of physical knobs for EQ, to adjust for changes in room acoustics ... which I need very often
main outs L&R - all Live sounds (RH 1-2-3), all style stracks
aux outs 1&2 - bass and kick drum (both can be dry)

The beauty of a sub-mix like this is that, I can route the iRig back INTO the Korg bus, and those channels will get summed with the main outs of the KB. This allows me to use just 2 or 3 channels on my main PA, or powered speaker. The KB feeds, with vocals and tracks/styles etc are sent in stereo, and the bass/drum out can be mono, or dual mono, using just 4 channels, or 2 stereo channels.

This may sound like overkill, or too complicated, but I love the fact that if I need a quick tweak, it's got a knob to do that without looking into a menu. The iRig Mix is such a flat unit, I can sit it right on the kb, just above the pitch bend , and I can reach everything I need without taking my gaze off the crowd.

I'm just posting this to give some options to other users, since we're talking EQ. Rikki mentioned that changing the overall setting upset the balance of her drum sounds - this allows for discreet changes to each of the main sections independently.
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: EQ, mic settings etc Reply with quote

Uncle Dave wrote:

iRig #2) my mic - gives me the added benefit of physical knobs for EQ, to adjust for changes in room acoustics ... which I need very often
It sounds interesting.
I am too looking for a compact mixer (only for vocal. I already have a 10 channels mixer that I would like to bypass in the future) that can sit down
on the Pa4X and having the physical knobs for EQ, to adjust on the fly the vocal changes in different room acoustics.
It would be interesting if you can share your experiences and explain the setup after you're done with your busy schedule.

Thanks for bring up this subject.
Uncle Dave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: EQ, mic settings etc Reply with quote

[quote="BR"][quote="Uncle Dave"]
[/quote]It sounds interesting.
I am too looking for a compact mixer [i](only for vocal. I already have a 10 channels mixer that I would like to bypass in the future)[/i] that can sit down
on the Pa4X and having the physical knobs for EQ, to adjust on the fly the vocal changes in different room acoustics.
It would be interesting if you can share your experiences and explain the setup after you're done with your busy schedule.

Thanks for bring up this subject.[/quote]

Always glad to share - here's a link to a picture of the mixer. It's actually double side taped to the top of my 900, because I ALWAYS use it.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153776389798150&set=pb.739483149.-2207520000.1472837816.&type=3&theater

On the 900, since it has speakers (which I'll miss terribly!!), I use the main outs of the mixer to feed the PA (usually a Bose compact), and the headphone out (with channel volume OFF) feeds the 2nd (dry) INPUT of my PA900 audio ins, with my mic in the dedicated harmonizer input.

**This is important - the channel that has my iPad tracks feeds INTO the Korg speakers before passing out to the main. The second channel is the main out from the Korg as a master volume/tone ... to avoid FEEDBACK LOOP - you MUST NOT HAVE THE iPad channel volume feeding the main outs - just the HP out. This is tricky, but very effective - call if you'd like to clarify.
215-284-1328

Here's a summary:
Channel 1 - Korg main outs - feeds PA (HP button os OFF)
Channel 2 - iPad outs - volume slider is at "0" (must be OFF) HP button is pushed IN to engage. There is a volume control for the output of the HP jack, but the Gain (trim) and EQ work on that channel.
Uncle Dave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: another view from where I stand ... Reply with quote

Here's a better shot of my control panel:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152504686898150&set=pb.739483149.-2207520000.1472838378.&type=3&theater

This allows me to blend the iPad tracks with the on board keyboard and vocal tracks as a monitor before it passes to the mains, whatever that may be at that time. (it changes)

Notice the position of the sliders - Ch 1 is the Korg output, and that is raised to an appropriate level for the room (NO HP out)
Ch 2 is the iPad, and that volume slider is OFF, but the red light signifies that the HP out is engaged.
The fader is all the way to the left, because the Ch 1 output is a combined signal from all sound sources.
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Uncle Dave,
Thanks for your replies and links.
Your setup looks good, by the way the second link is not working for me, I think it is not set for Public in Facebook.

All I would like to do is to replace my 10 channels mixer with something like iRig (if this is the right device for me) and using only the Reverb and Delay through Pa4x for vocals.
Here is my equipment for live performance:
Pa4X (sometime I use Pa900), one wireless mic and 2 powered speakers.
You could maybe help me to explain how can I set these things up together and using the Reverb and Delay from Pa4x for vocal.
I would connect the wireless mic to Pa4X (XLR Mic connection) and output the keyboard directly (from R+L out put) to two powered speakers.

Thanks.
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: EQ, mic settings etc Reply with quote

Uncle Dave wrote:

I'm just posting this to give some options to other users, since we're talking EQ. Rikki mentioned that changing the overall setting upset the balance of her drum sounds - this allows for discreet changes to each of the main sections independently.

Hi Dave
it's brilliant that we are sharing ideas.
Until this subject came up, I don't think I've ever had the eq function turned on, all 3 korgs were sitting in Factory Default state.
So glad Jon gave the explanation, made me think about trying it.
His settings may not be my final ones, but it's given me reason to explore,
and find what sounds right for my ears.

Also tend to think maybe different settings suit different types of music?
Like for modern dance music you'd want booming bass drums whereas for just say an English waltz , you really wouldn't want the same type of effect?

For instance the 12/8 triplet style for unchained melody, the eq setting I have at the moment, really brought out the hi hat sound, which is good, but didn't sound as good on a rolling crash cymbal intro I have in my orchestral ballad type style conversions. A bit too grating on the ears.

Your setup sounds great , but be overkill for me , I just play at home for a hobby, but for musicians like yourself, brilliant.

After realising the eq settings were affecting the drum mix in my user styles,
some appeared to be playing more softly, others more pronounced, I decided to explore another function I've never bothered with before, the drum editor page. Used for families of drum types, ie bass , toms , snares etc

So basically I found I could alter the volume of of drums ie if the bass was too loud, I could turn it down and save it just for that style, could even change the eq for the bass drum sound , (plus a heap of other things, which I haven't explored yet,) but what a simple way of changing the volume mix of the drums in a style.

Amazing what you can do in this keyboard when you start exploring.

So 2 things I've learnt about , thanks to this thread
Something about eq
Something about Drum edit page.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Uncle Dave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BR"]@Uncle Dave,
Thanks for your replies and links.
Your setup looks good, by the way the second link is not working for me, I think it is not set for Public in Facebook.

All I would like to do is to replace my 10 channels mixer with something like iRig (if this is the right device for me) and using only the Reverb and Delay through Pa4x for vocals.
Here is my equipment for live performance:
Pa4X (sometime I use Pa900), one wireless mic and 2 powered speakers.
You could maybe help me to explain how can I set these things up together and using the Reverb and Delay from Pa4x for vocal.
I would connect the wireless mic to Pa4X (XLR Mic connection) and output the keyboard directly (from R+L out put) to two powered speakers.

Thanks.[/quote]

Does this one work??
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152504686898150&set=pb.739483149.-2207520000.1472969684.&type=3&theater
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Dave wrote:

Does this one work??
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152504686898150&set=pb.739483149.-2207520000.1472969684.&type=3&theater

Neither it's not working.
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, check out Yamaha AG06. It is POWERED via USB, has excellent features and is extremely small and light. On board effects are good, but limited. However you can totally do anything you want if you connect to laptop.,
I haven't seen the need to do that, as it has everything I need for setup very similar to yours.
You'll love it. Have I ever led you wrong? Smile
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AG06?adpos=1o2&creative=55225946401&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQjwjK--BRCzv-Wyu4OTosEBEiQAgFp5ONtR-VKID3Rkx00oalUXx2L4dMC4WWOj6KzU4OnCqP4aAsSp8P8HAQ
DonM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: