Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA4X EQ Settings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: assignable Reply with quote

duby2 wrote:
Just use the assignable slider function to have EQ available instantly ,,
or maybe korg won't let us do that , we have to wait for the pa5x
Hi duby,
Even though for me it's too late because I've already ordered a small mixer only for this task but I am still interested to know who to setup the sliders for controlling the EQ on the fly for vocal .
Thanks
Uncle Dave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BR, just assign the A or B sliders to control all the mic parameters.
It's a very flexible tool.
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Dave wrote:
BR, just assign the A or B sliders to control all the mic parameters.
It's a very flexible tool.
Good to know. I'll check that when I get some free time.
Thanks Dave
TonyR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonyblues wrote:
Hi Deane, as requested, here are my settings:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1fD9_7S1ptNaUdTcWFfR09IQTQ&usp=sharing

I hope that these help, or at least give you something to play with.

Best wishes,
Jon [/img]

Many thanks for this information. I altered these settings on my Pa4x yesterday and the improvement is considerable - much brighter!
RealMac81

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonyblues wrote:
Hi Deane, as requested, here are my settings:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1fD9_7S1ptNaUdTcWFfR09IQTQ&usp=sharing

Background info to these settings for you: I've personally found that the Korg default Maxx settings sound pretty bad (and don't do the PA4x sounds any justice at all), so am not surprised that you are unhappy with those default settings.

I created some different settings, quite a few months ago, which sounded great for the keyboard sounds. However, I found that no matter what I did, I couldn't get my chosen (a decent) Mic EQ/sound with those particular settings (I know that I could have taken the mic out on a separate output but didn't want to do that). The main issue was that I tended to want certain frequencies cut and/or boosted for the kbd but didn't want those frequencies to affect my mic eq. Around the same time, I upgraded my mic from a SM58 Beta A (great dynamic Mic) to Shure's top of the line condenser Mic (KSM9 - very expensive).

Subsequently, I decided to go back to the drawing board and create a brand new Global Maxx setup with an attempt of meeting the following criteria:
a) I wanted the Piano sounds to sound natural and not too colored (one of the real tests to decent EQ on the PA4x)
b) I wanted the sound to be mixed/good enough, so that it would still sound good if the EQ was flat on my A&H mixing desk. This would ensure that if I need to tweak the EQ for a particular room/venue that I could quickly/easily adjust it on my mixer rather than having to make any changes within the Maxx settings.
c) I wanted to pick settings that gave me the best possible sound and Signal to Noise Ratio for my particular mixer and speakers (Qsc K10s). Other speakers, will, of course sound very different than the K10s but you can always use these settings for an A/B test or as a starting point for your own setup.
d) I wanted settings that gave me added 'zing' to the parts that need that and added 'thump' and 'body' to the parts that need that.
e) I wanted a Global Maxx setting, which wouldn't clash to much with any EQ settings that I chose to use for my Microphone (i.e. I wouldn't be struggling to get and decent EQ/tone from any chosen Mic.

I haven't had time recently to tweak the Mic settings fully but have included a screenshot of those too, just as information. They still need work though and are specifically for the KSM9 mic of course (and are also attempting to reduce feedback too).

One final point is that I also use these exact settings for my PAas and feel that they are a big improvement to the default option for that too.

I hope that these help, or at least give you something to play with.

Best wishes,
Jon [/img]

OMG - Jonyblues! Perfect! you are a star!

I have same speakers, however I used them more like for singing with backing tracks - question!

So if I want to create an Mp3 backing track and I have the final product made out of a MIDI or style from PA4X - with your new EQ settings.. if I choose the "Record MP3" feature, will the mixsound be the same as I hear it? Sorry I am a bit noob with this.

Of course I am aware that some frequescies will get lost due to MP3 compression.

please advise.

Thanks!
robthemuso

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big thank you Jonyblues. I have copied your settings and they are amazing. Completely sorted my PA4x.
Thanks Rob
MacKenzie617

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Global Maxx Settings Reply with quote

Many thanks JoneyBlues for your settings. Having used your settings, it does make a real positive addition to the overall performance. It is also easy to compare the settings with my existing settings. It did add one issue in that I get a bit of high level frequency feed back. However, I probably just have to tweak the higher level frequency Q settings. I use the PAs sound bar, with a JBL Eon one amp, and a Shure wireless head Mike. I did trace the feedback to the PAs speaker bar. It would have been useful if the Pas had a volume control, however adjustment of the balance between the JBL and the Pa output level gives some help.
Anyway, thanks again for your time and effort with this issue.
Seeing that your are so expert in the EQ field, how about producing settings to cover a Fender "countryish" Tele/Strat. sound.

Regards, Jim
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RealMac81, Jim (MacKenzie617) and Robthemuso, a quick note to say thanks for the positive feedback about my EQ settings. I'm really glad that you found them to be useful to you.

I think that I may have made a few tweaks since my original EQ post last year but haven't had access to my kbd since Dec. I will, however, share my tweaks once I get access to my kbd again (probably July).

RealMac81 - In regards to your question, the answer is Yes, the settings you use will be recorded into your MP3s.

Jim - Thanks for the feedback. I don't feel worthy of your 'expert' label but FYI I have developed quite a few guitar sounds in the past that may be of help/interest to you. Unfortunately, as I'm in the middle of a move from San Jose to San Diego and am just about to pop back to England for a couple of months, I'm not going to be able to access my Pa4x probably until July (which, as I'm sure you can appreciate, is really killing me!).

Anyway, hope all you guys are having fun with your boards and once again, thanks for the positive feedback.
Best wishes,
Jon
RealMac81

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jonny - your setting sounds great at first, really punchy - when playing with a style.

However once the style is off and you just want to jam with a piano only, there is weird buzz sort of distorted that actually feels like the aftertouch is pushes an extra swoosh - is it just me? Sorry might not be aware that some other setting interfere..
MacKenzie617

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Jon's EQ settings Reply with quote

Thanks again Jon for your work on the EQ settings. Real Mac81, At first with the settings I was getting some high end "sizzle" sounds and mic feedback.
Two changes that eliminated the unwanted effects were as follows:
1. In the MAXAUDIO I reduced the 6502 hz Gain setting from 2.8 to 1.4.
2. In the MASTER section I reduced the volume setting from 9.1 to 6.7. This was in Style mode.
It might be that the above has nothing to do with your piano sound issue, however it might be worth a try
Jon, Have a safe trip back to the Uk, maybe in July you might get a chance to advise on guitar sounds
Re, Jim MacKenzie
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Jonny's settings also for several months now (thanks!), they sound great to my ears.
Thanks Jim for the Maxaudio correction; also applied that one.

In the Master section I lowered volume gain even a bit more, to 3.6.

I'm perfectly happy with these settings!

Play in style. Wink
Chuck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, after years of playing the PA1-2-3-4 I've never messed with the EQ settings. Like Riki, I edit the styles to suit my taste. I also use a Bose system and set the T1 mixer to flat on my keyboard channels. Never had any complaints from my audiences. BUT, that doesn't mean I'm not interested in exploring. What pages in the manual address EQ settings. I'll see what happens.
Old fingers
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.

See Jonyblues PaAS settings on P1 - very good.
Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
MacKenzie617

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Max Audio Reply with quote

As always Jon, thanks for time and effort with Max Audio. Hope you are safe with the news we hear in the Uk about forest fires and now heavy rains.
Question: Does altering max audio settings affect both vocal and keyboard backing settings?

Re, Jim
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, after all the kudos you're getting for these settings, I'm going to have to give this a go on my Pa3x as, like most other folks, I'm always tweaking around to find 'nirvana', so to speak. I run through a Bose L1 Model II system.

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, or I've missed it, but what are your thoughts on the use of compression for some extra punch in the bass and drums? Many thanks for your efforts and your generosity in sharing your results.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: