Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2.02 - Bonus Patterns & sounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CH7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: 2.02 - Bonus Patterns & sounds Reply with quote

As part of this latest firmware update, korg has provided ancillary files with 'bonus' patterns and parts.

So i was wondering with the firmware now 'locked' to either sampler or music station, could this method of adding extra sounds, be one way to add your own sounds to either of the new firmware?

Imagine, a way to add your own samples to the Music Station, so that you also have the benefit of its filters. You wouldn't need the extra Sample editing features.

Of course this assumes those extra sounds are based on pcm, or waves, and not just parameter settings for the internal engine.
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonus patterns- not new sounds? I don't know, I have the sampler.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no "new sounds".

The only thing sound related that is new and why Korg can get away with calling it "new sounds" is how the internal sounds have been effected and modulated. Basically the Korg star programmers adjusted the sounds in the new patterns to work better. Because of this, in the new patters for the E2 (for example), we have richer more vibrant pads, thicker basses and heavier kicks. The trick is you have to copy the part sound into your new pattern, not just dial up a sound from the oscillators.

There's some nice stuff in there. Plenty of well tweeked sounds the ambient musician. Just remember, copy the part or part sound into your new new pattern.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
Loudest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2.02 - Bonus Patterns & sounds Reply with quote

CH7 wrote:
As part of this latest firmware update, korg has provided ancillary files with 'bonus' patterns and parts.

So i was wondering with the firmware now 'locked' to either sampler or music station, could this method of adding extra sounds, be one way to add your own sounds to either of the new firmware?

Imagine, a way to add your own samples to the Music Station, so that you also have the benefit of its filters. You wouldn't need the extra Sample editing features.

Of course this assumes those extra sounds are based on pcm, or waves, and not just parameter settings for the internal engine.

personally I have never understood the interest of this "hack" ...
either we need the Sampler version or we need the Synth version (or possibly both)
but we must choose, it is simple.

If the hack allows us to have the two machines in one (at the same time), OK, I would have understood the interest, but...

so I am glad that KORG has blocked this hack and they can finally concentrate on the development of these 2 machines
Plus,a good way to avoid this hack would be to make the 2 firmwares very differents
I find that the Synth version is pretty decent (despite a few bugs and a tricky workflow ..)
but the Sampler should really be differentiated and assume its role of Sampler (representation of waveforms, sample editing etc.)
CH7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMK wrote:
There are no "new sounds".

The only thing sound related that is new and why Korg can get away with calling it "new sounds" is how the internal sounds have been effected and modulated. Basically the Korg star programmers adjusted the sounds in the new patterns to work better. Because of this, in the new patters for the E2 (for example), we have richer more vibrant pads, thicker basses and heavier kicks. The trick is you have to copy the part sound into your new pattern, not just dial up a sound from the oscillators.

There's some nice stuff in there. Plenty of well tweeked sounds the ambient musician. Just remember, copy the part or part sound into your new new pattern.

So i guess the following isn't to be taken on face value then.

"These 203 different patterns include synthesizer sounds, drum kits, and ideas that work with a variety of musical styles. They are provided as reference materials for your beat-making or as foundations to give you new inspiration."

That said if there are ways to exploit features buried in the ROM, such as those filter controls, then examination of the bonus files structures, could well provide a clue on how to access what's there, albeit without the normal controllers.

It could be that the ROM has a set way of interpreting the pattern information, even when we are denied the means to construct that pattern information.
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CH7 wrote:
It could be that the ROM has a set way of interpreting the pattern information, even when we are denied the means to construct that pattern information.

There are no new or hidden features whatsoever.
Juste like your basic ROMpler, the electribe have PCM (i.e. samples) in ROM + a bunch of modeled oscillators.
There are no patches per see : synthesis parameters value (OSC > Filter > Mod > Amp) are just part of the pattern file structure, which holds these for the 16 parts + the sequence/motion/mute datas.

The "new" sounds are just new patterns with the voice datas used for each part, built upon the very same ROM content and voice structure that the unit are shipped with since the first electribe2 launch in - very very late - 2014.

Same goes for the sampler.
DR.DR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a sonic world within in the oscillator edit knob, the filter types, and, at least for drum hits, in the subtlety of the decay knob. Allusions to new sounds in any marketing material likely refer to this. They have two mic positions on some of the acoustic samples (jazz kick for instance) and the edit knob cross fades. Unbelievably simple, so flippin' useful.
jpeg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how are the new sampler patterns and sound?
bladuck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Korg for this. Somebody posted all 200 new patterns on E2 on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp3HPiqm9YM
These new summer patterns are a lot more musical and better mixed than the original patterns. The original patterns were with most of the volumes pumped to 127 and punch IFX on each track. ...Yack .... yes mitshubishy your patterns too!
Also it show incredible power of E2.
jpeg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welp I guess I just aint very good at the the korgs or music; cos I thought the original patterns on both the E2 & ES2 were pretty darn impressive.

And with these new patterns there are some really great sounding stuff.

almost makes me wanna get the E2 back; but I just aint up to par with the programming, honestly.

Has anyone heard the new patterns for the sampler?
Loudest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpeg wrote:

Yes,
personally I prefer the new patterns for the Sampler version
http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/electribe_sampler/index.php#bp
jpeg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loudest wrote:
jpeg wrote:

Yes,
personally I prefer the new patterns for the Sampler version
http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/electribe_sampler/index.php#bp

i think the new e2 patterns are a lot better than the new sampler patterns
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: