Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any examples running through the E2 different filters?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redmond Barry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Any examples running through the E2 different filters? Reply with quote

I'm considering getting the E2 especially now with the new update and the blue color also helps! I have the E2S and am pretty happy with it, and the driving force behind my interest in the E2 is the expanded synth engine as I find myself using the truncated E2S one quite a bit actually. Anyway, I'm trying to actually find some examples of the different filters and I'm not having any luck on youtube or soundcloud. Searching through the forum here I'm finding a lot of opinions from folks who think the filters aren't even that great or different sounding. Can anyone point me to any examples? I can't try one out anywhere near where I live, sadly.
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the E2S so can't answer your question but I see a lot of people saying they prefer the E2 because of the additional filters. Is that the only difference to the sampler apart from the fact that the E2 can't load samples? People say that the synth engine in the E2 is more versatile but I have installed hundreds of single cycle waveforms into the sampler; surely that trumps the E2 in terms of options for synthesis, even with the additional filters?
Redmond Barry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeplemouth wrote:
I have the E2S so can't answer your question but I see a lot of people saying they prefer the E2 because of the additional filters. Is that the only difference to the sampler apart from the fact that the E2 can't load samples? People say that the synth engine in the E2 is more versatile but I have installed hundreds of single cycle waveforms into the sampler; surely that trumps the E2 in terms of options for synthesis, even with the additional filters?

The E2 has additional VA waveforms so you can get some interesting things going on with the edit knob under the Oscillator, just like in the VA section of the E2S )which you've probably noticed has a big impact on the timbre of the sound). So basically more tweakable VA waveforms and more filters are the two biggest differences. The Electribe Filter on the E2S is just okay in my book. Nothing great, but I use the VA section quite a bit so that's what's making me think I'd like have the expanded E2.
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redmond Barry wrote:

The E2 has additional VA waveforms so you can get some interesting things going on with the edit knob under the Oscillator, just like in the VA section of the E2S )which you've probably noticed has a big impact on the timbre of the sound). So basically more tweakable VA waveforms and more filters are the two biggest differences. The Electribe Filter on the E2S is just okay in my book. Nothing great, but I use the VA section quite a bit so that's what's making me think I'd like have the expanded E2.

Yes but single cycle waveforms are VA waveforms aren't they? If so then the E2 may have more initially but the ability to load your own into the sampler means that you have access to a practically unlimited amount of them. I'm not sure how the edit knob works when you load your own into the machine but combining the single cycle waveforms with the E2S filters, modulation and FX I'm sure you could produce more sounds with the E2S that with the E2. However I'm no expert in this field so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Redmond Barry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeplemouth wrote:
Redmond Barry wrote:

Yes but single cycle waveforms are VA waveforms aren't they? If so then the E2 may have more initially but the ability to load your own into the sampler means that you have access to a practically unlimited amount of them. I'm not sure how the edit knob works when you load your own into the machine but combining the single cycle waveforms with the E2S filters, modulation and FX I'm sure you could produce more sounds with the E2S that with the E2. However I'm no expert in this field so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The edit knob just changes the start and stop time when using samples. When it's on the VA engine it does things like waveshaping and oscillator detune etc... Obviously you can't do that with the waveforms you've sampled unless you sampled them as their being waveshaped. The E2 even has rudimentary FM (very rudimentary but it's there!).
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah okay I see what you mean. I would maybe consider getting the E2 myself if I could get a good deal second hand. I'm not sure I would pay full price just for some additional filters and deeper synth engine, I'd probably just buy a different synth in that case, unless the sound was vastly different from the E2S.
1_inch_punch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought a very helpful chap by the name of Ted3000 had provided a sheet of the specific parameters the Edit knob changed when applied to specific OSCs of the E2?

Check maybe early 2015?
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeplemouth wrote:
Ah okay I see what you mean. I would maybe consider getting the E2 myself if I could get a good deal second hand. I'm not sure I would pay full price just for some additional filters and deeper synth engine, I'd probably just buy a different synth in that case, unless the sound was vastly different from the E2S.

Hey Steeplemouth!!

Are you based in the UK? Go on... Treat yourself!! Very Happy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172291311070?ssPageName=STRK:MESCX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1554.l2649

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
sl23

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sl23 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl23 wrote:
I was thinking of selling mine and getting an es2, but if all you can do is playback your sample and add a bit of mod and FX not worth it....

This is exactly why I bought mine... And $399 seemed a fair price
What more were you hoping to do with your samples beside modulate and fx them?
I have an octatrack right next to my korg e2s.. It can do stuff the e2s cant, but it cost ~$1000 more. Oh, the E2s can do things the octatrack can't (polyphony! 16 samples at once! Choke groups! Saving all tracks as wav files with one menu function, etc etc the list goes on)
I'm also checking out the new pioneer toraiz.. That is also ~$1000 more.
Honestly, I think the korgs are a good value for the money, warts and all.
sl23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sl23 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apapdop wrote:
Steeplemouth wrote:

Hey Steeplemouth!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172291311070?ssPageName=STRK:MESCX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1554.l2649

Haha thanks mate. I'm from the UK but I live in Australia and the postage costs from the UK are stratospheric. Plus I've just became a father for the first time and my girlfriend would kill me if I spent money on anything but my son at the moment Smile
jpeg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeplemouth wrote:
apapdop wrote:
Steeplemouth wrote:

Hey Steeplemouth!!

Haha thanks mate. I'm from the UK but I live in Australia and the postage costs from the UK are stratospheric. Plus I've just became a father for the first time and my girlfriend would kill me if I spent money on anything but my son at the moment Smile

I sold my e2 its a good unit but I dont put much stock in the different filter models at all the differences were not that dramatically different tonally at all.
thebiglebowski

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a demonstration of the KingKorg filters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ3SX2Qtug0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAaOIOL4Yy8

Since the E2 is somehow based on the KingKorg engine – at least Korg says so – I think its pretty close to what your looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: