Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SQ1 USB MIDI IN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onelove

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: SQ1 USB MIDI IN Reply with quote

I dont know if anyone can help me, Im trying to use a Kenton USB Midi Host between my Elekton Ryth Drum Machine and my Korg SQ1 Sequencer

Midi out of the Drum Machine => the Kenton USB Host Box => USB to the SQ1

The theory is if I start the drum machine it should Start/Stop and Clock the Squencer. I just can not make it work.

The SQ1 midi implementation suggests I can, but im having no luck, ive tested this replacing the SQ1 with a Beatstep and works perfectly, but no luck with SQ1
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Mmh, I doubt it will work. And this for the following reasons:
* The Kenton expects a standard compliant MIDI-USB device. For the SQ1 you typically need to install the Korg USB driver, which makes me think, it is not standard compliant.
* The SQ1 announces itself on a PC as 2 MIDI interfaces. I did some experiments on it:
1. The first interface seems to forward MIDI messages to the DIN-MIDI out interface. Probably it also results in a CV/gate output as well. The sequencer itself ignores start and stop messages.
2. The second interface seems to route the MIDI message to the sequencer itself: it ignores note messages, but the sequencer can be controlled with the standard Start/Stop MIDI messages.
In brief, there is some complex behaviour behind the MIDI implementation over USB (which is not mentioned in any manual as far as I know), which makes that the Kenton can not talk to the SQ1.

Hopefully for you, someone can counter my arguments...

Bye
7zark7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*edit
Hardware: 1010 Audio Bitbox, Akai MAX25 pro, Alesis Micron, Korg ES2, Korg KP3, Korg microSampler MS-1, Korg Minilogue, Korg MS20 mini, Korg SQ-1, Korg Triton, Korg Volca Sample, Roland MC-307, Roland AIRA MX-1, Roland AIRA SYSTEM 1m, Roland JD-Xi, Roland AIRA Scooper, Roland AIRA Demora,
Software: Synapse-Audio Orion and loads of VST/VSTi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: